Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Following extensive and delicate negotiations, with frank, open and honest dialogue from both parties, it is with no little sense of relief that I can now announce that Oaklands have a new home with our first born relatives at Dudley slotcar club.
Both clubs have merged under the Oaklands name and look forward to resuming our racing activities from our
base in Parkway road, Dudley.
Obviously there will have to be re-adjustments made and a little biting of tongues required, just like in any other marriage,so if they can put up with me then they,ll put up with any one.Stan we,ll have to deal with seperately I fear.
The first combined club night is tonight ,racing two classes, falcon heffing ones and then 1/24 sports.
Doors open 7:30-scrum-down at 8.Tea and biccies as usual.
RALPH.

EWG edit, Its Parkway road Dudley chaps, must have been getting near Ralphs bed time

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Continuing the fine tradition of this famous Birmingham club not having actually been in Birmingham since 1962...

Coop

·
Registered
152 Posts
Good news, but I am very worried about Ralph, I think he must have tripped over an old book, recognised it as a dictionarry & got Sandy to help him with looking up some words that he has'nt used before,eg, delicate, open, sense, tongue biting!!! Well, lordy, lordy there is hope for us all!

Many of our devotees will be pleased to know, we have already cut out 'the kink section' of our old track & will be grafting it onto the Dudley track!
Stan will continue unchanged, building reasonable retro chassis & forgetting (incapable of) to finish an acceptable body shell & driving the resulting car to its full potential! With Ralph's new found diplomatic role, I may just get away with it!

Here's to a fruitful & happy union for Oaklands Parkway.

Stan

·
Eddie Grice
2,294 Posts
QUOTE (Stan Comley @ 20 Feb 2012, 13:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Many of our devotees will be pleased to know, we have already cut out 'the kink section' of our old track & will be grafting it onto the Dudley track!
Only fair, after all it was put in by the Dudley track builders

Having running water & toilets is going to take some getting used to, not to mention curry.
Whoops, sorry, mentioned food on SF again

Eddie

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Great new guys, look forward to to Ralphs race report from the 1st meeting.....................

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I'm glad to hear that a new home has been found. It sounds to me exactly the sort of sane decision that Stan and Ve would approve of.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I do not know any of you, but I read the thread with much interest, given that Oaklands is one of, if not the oldest club name in UK slot racing.

I also had some minor dealings with a member there courtesy of Beejay (Alan) a couple of years back.

So I am very glad to hear that a palatable solution has been reached.

By chance, my own home track is called Oakland Raceway, after the mini-subdivision in which I reside.

I hope the "unholy alliance" generates nil ill will or tension, and a meeting of minds that enlarges all of your enjoyment.

SLOT ON

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Great news guys, I always hate to hear of clubs losing their premises as they can be almost impossible to replace. It's happened to us a few times.
Long may you continue slotting.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well it's finally happened...Dudley and Oaklands are one. 13 racers turned up for a momentous gathering at the Newly combined club OAKLANDS PARKWAY looking forward to the next 55 years and retaining all the values that have made Oaklands synonomous with Slot Car Racing in the UK. Our common aim to encourage, Promote and spread the word of Slot Car Racing and the fun that it can provide. Already a new track is planned for our smaller room and alterations to the existing track once that is finished. Racing will be a mixture of BSCRA, Hard Bodies and Scalextric and the world famous Fettish Night (Over 18's only !!!) Owen has various Open meetings arranged for June & July and the new club look forward to welcoming all old and new racers alike. At the moment the only night we are open is Monday but expect other nights in the future. Any info contact Ralph or Balti Dave.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Eddie, had You told Me that you were thirsty, then I,d have told you before you left that as well as toilets and a roof we now have a decent BANKS,S boozer 100 yards away......but now I,d owe you two pints.Maybe next week? (hic)..pardon.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As I,m rapidly running out of "friends", Then I,ll bow to the inevitable and buy the first drink again.
LANDLORD!"

" A pint of Bitter and two straws if you please....."

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
I'll witness that for you Eddie, 2 pints he said, no mention of a straw. Although I'd steer clear of that Banks bitter if I were you.
Have they got anthing better, like Mild or Pedigree?

Sounds like I'll have to come and check that he settles his offer...

Simon

·
Eddie Grice
2,294 Posts
QUOTE (SplitRim @ 23 Feb 2012, 08:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Have they got anthing better, like Mild or Pedigree?
Not been in this place, "The Grange" its recently renovated I believe & within walking distance of the club.
When I previously went to Dudley club nights we used The Lamp Tavern, a Bathams Brewery pub, that was a decent pint.
Your welcome to come over with me one Monday night but it's all BSCRA Falcon powered stuff at the moment & the tracks a bit "harum scarum"

Eddie

1 - 20 of 30 Posts