SlotForum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a few bits and pieces I've been meaning to add for awhile.

For this first one, I know that Bernard posted a similar set here, but now can't find it for the life of me! This is a French production (in French, when they said "stock cars", it was actually more like Demolition Derby...), no brand on the toy, but probably from late 50s, or maybe early/mid 60s. Nice graphics, and it actually works pretty well, as you can see in my "action shot"!

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Shifting registers and moving up a decade or so, here's another unidentified one, looks like one of the early radio-control car experiments, perhaps for the floor or with a track - not sure what that little pivoting arm in the front is for. Probably a floor toy, since the front wheels do not touch and roll... There are two little HO size motors in the back, each probably driving one of the wheels for steering, but pinions are missing - there's a spur gear next to each wheel.

Anybody recognize this? It's Made in Hong Kong.

The body is similar to some of the blobby Eldon type bodies of the late 60s, and a lot of HK made toys... I've called it a slotless car, but really not sure what the system was.

Don

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And one more... I actually know what this is, and it's a very important piece in the pre-Scalextric world, although pretty much unknown.. I'll let you guess...

Oh, a hint: that front steering bar is made of steel...

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm stumped by the last one.
But I reckon it went around some sort of track, by some sort of magnet pulling that front steering !!!

·
redstar
1,574 Posts
Hi Don,from the photo you took,id have to say those are the fastest cars ive ever seen !
The set i put on the site can probably be found under Cragstan. The Eldon Ferrari is from the Heathkit Mini Auto Race Kit 4made in 1971.It also came with a Ford J.The slotless set came with 2 cars,but 4 could be raced at a time. Now the 3rd car im stumped but i agree it must be a magnet lead car.
Bernard

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Bernard, wasn't sure it was that one...

You and Ted are right about the magnet of course... I'll leave it up a little longer before putting in the answer. It has been mentioned before...

Don

·
redstar
1,574 Posts
Heres another set made by Thomas here in the states.These cars look much slower than yours Don,l can actually see mine !.
Thanks,Bernard

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now that Bernard has identified it, here's the first page of an article from Model Car Science (71 I think...) on the Heathkit slotless/RC set...

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
The third car appears to have an asymetrical (is that the right word) front axle, so I would guess it is for running in some type of bowl track. Could run on a control line from a motor in the middle of the track or fired from some sort of spring or as some one has suggested perhaps a moving magnet under the track

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not asymmetrical - just my camera and perspective!

It is in fact a magnet as guessed by the earlier posters...

Don

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There don't seem to be any more guesses coming in, so here's the complete layout of the ...

Jr. Midget Speedway

from the December 1948 issue of Esquire. A two level setup, with a sort of railroad track underneath and two powered units with magnets on an arm, dragging along two Midget racing cars... I've got the instruction booklet, an article in Popular Mechanics and... a very beat up set - found this car independently, many years ago, and had no idea where it came from - total luck!

Don

1 - 13 of 13 Posts