SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mornin
I realize this is off topic but thought some of you were model builders in a former life.
Would anyone know if this came with a clear plastic cover?. pieces are starting to fall
off some of my models so i have been cleaning them and reattaching the pieces.
Thanks much CG

·
Administrator
9,792 Posts
Hi Gramps,

Assuming this is the Hawk model, I've only ever seen this in kit form, so can't help you about the plastic cover.

Was this a factory build, or just a hobby shop trophy and a one-off?

Don

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don
I'm thinking it was made by Monogram as a kit??.
If i get time today i'm going to go through some
magazines to see if it's in them, thanks CG

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mornin
I paged through some of my Car Model magazines yesterday, been a long time since
i've done that and so far have found nothing for the car and base in the picture.
I did find an article in the Mar-65 issue pg 36 by Ben Millspaugh Cars for commercial
tracks. He has a parts list and he indicates the body is a Hawk Indy Racer, he says it
is a gold plated Mercedes W 163. I paged through 20 magazines and had forgotten
how much was produced by various companies during that period. CG

·
Premium Member
5,186 Posts
While other companies produced factory assembled kits for dealer displays, I have never seen one by Hawk. This COULD be one, and if so would likely have had an acetate fabricated cover such as used on some of there HERE.
I think that all you can see in the picture except maybe for the base (plastic or wood?) is contained in the kit, that came in three finishes over the years: molded silver plastic, vacuum plated "chrome" and vacuum plated "gold".
None was ever part of a slot car kit but the static kit looks really nice.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mornin
Thanks everyone for the clue's info etc, and enjoyed the pictures from the museum.
I actually spotted a couple of models i have, i have one in a 1/24 display and the other
needs to be reglued. I did some poking around found that Hawk did the Merc in 1962
in plated Silver and Gold, i found a small ad which appears to be the Silver one and has
a Black Base and doesn't appear to have a top. Thanks again CG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts