SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
mac pinches
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
iv just asked myself a question, "where did all the knowledge go "

I have not built a car for 8 or 9 years now,

But Munter set out a set of rules and details for a proxy event incorporating pre-was gp cars,

well seeing im not doing too much of late i thought "why not knock a couple of cars up and

send them on there merry way"

It should be ok, iv built a few decent cars in the past, no problems.

The first obstacle to be encountered was finding the tools to do the job, they where all over the shop!

Right i thought ill build the chassis in the same style i did my last car in.

I slowly gathered the parts and material to construct it, i cut the chassis plates, got the tubing lined up,

Then came the soldering bit , oh dear !! my fingers are burnt to the bone, id misplaced my building

jigs, i tried to construct the thing WITHOUT a jig, it fell apart as soon as i picked it up, more burnt fingers

It used to be so east to make a car in a relatively short time, this thing has taken forever.

Is it just me, have i got to realize im not the man i used to be?.is it an age thing?, iv noticed the old eyes

aint what they were, should i be taking up knitting, ?

Well im going to carry on, whether the things hold together as they tour the various tracks is anybody,s

guess, they will probable come home in a bag !!!!!!

Is it just me or is anyone else getting old ?.

Mac P

·
Registered
986 Posts
Increasing mis-reads of numbers, veins that break in my fingers on taps, doorknobs, and most definitely the wrenches that I used to swing happily, and, very often now, a nap or two, cutting down a day's hours significantly.

Yup, I quite hear you. Have forced myself to enjoy merely cheerful poking at projects. The time of coffee-fueled long-hours pushes is gone. It's a different set of challenges, but I'm adaptive.

·
Circuit Owner
5,913 Posts
We are all getting older. There are some great helping hands doodahs with magnifying glasses and lighting to help our failing eyesight and shaky hands.

Practice makes perfect - give it another go - I am sure the muscle memory will return, you just need to find your jigs...

·
Registered
986 Posts
our failing eyesight and shaky hands.
Yeah! jigs actually. I'm doing more with holding things together in quick jigs, to compensate for both the hands and the eyesight. I've got a nice pile of Meccano and Temsi which is very useful for holding things square in three dimentions. Also bits of plasticine and cello tape and painter's tape.

Basically make each small piece bigger by fixing it to something, then clamp the somethings together so I can glue/solder the wee held pieces easily. & wax paper to keep from sticking pieces to the somethings.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
The mind is willing but the flesh is weak .......... ;)

Get back on the tools .... it will suddenly all click into place again ....... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Wax paper, brilliant, I normally have to prise stuff from the workbench !!!!! Already on my shopping list.

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Love this

I am with you all the way Mac. besides my workbench, I have a home-office bench - I mean desk - as my work is european based so can work from home.

There are times when I am on long rambling calls and of course while I listen I need to keep my hands busy. SO I get up to go to the other room to fetch a something to build or clean up or.... and when I get there - cannot remember what it was !!!

Old timers I tell you - well thats what my kids now say....

lmfao.gif
lmfao.gif
lmfao.gif

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I've found that my patience has to get better in direct relationship to the lack of skills in other areas !!The loss of remembering from one room to another is quite common , everdently from ancient times when we had to react quickly in different situations ,so one room has different aspects to the other ,so we react in the new surroundings and forget the old

·
Circuit Owner
5,913 Posts
It actually makes sense - when I forget what I was fetching when I get there I simply retrace my steps to the point I was setting off knowing what I was going for. I usually remember at that point so there is memory associated with your surroundings.

It might sound like a crock of poo but its not.

Muscle memory works the same way.

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
I face similar problems - actually I'm facing a mini-one right now but I think that the problem is not just age, its also about losing all that infrastructure carefully built up to support your work. If you invest some time searching for those jigs and all the rest of your stuff that make the difference between a mess and a marvel I suspect you'll find that very little has changed.

Andy

·
mac pinches
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mr Modifier, iv tried the "retracing my steps " bit, it dose not work, iv got to the required room,

at this point ill retrace my steps, that way ill recall why i left the room in the first place on getting

back to the room i have just left, i think why have i come to this room ? ill retrace my steps,

{ must remember to replace this worn out carpet }

mac p

·
Al Schwartz
3,392 Posts
Now, before the wells of sympathy overflow, let me say that meeting mac was a highlight of my visits to Wolverhampton. I've seen his work. Operating at 1/4 throttle, he can "outrun" most of us!

That said, I too find that the time required to complete a project is a function of age. Unfortunately, it appears that it is not a linear function but rather is proportional to the cube of the accumulated years!

An example for those disinclined to do the math: (70)3 = 343000, (80)3 = 512000 or 1.5X (and that does not include time for naps or searching for what one has dropped to the floor)

EM

·
John Roche
4,202 Posts
I try to find positive solutions to problems. For example, I'm down in Cornwall for a few days at the moment. I used to comfortably ride my motorbike from Bedford to Penzance in a day, in fact I used to do Bordeaux in a day. Now I split the journey and enjoy stopping off half way at somewhere I've never looked round before. Being retired helps in that I've got the time to do this.

Mind you I haven't built a slot car for 4 or 5 years. I'll have to build one soon
smile.png

Cheers

John

·
Registered
168 Posts
Quite true!

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Sound familiar..........

A GROUP OF GUYS, all turning 40, discussed where they should meet for lunch.

Finally it was agreed that they would meet at Wetherspoons in Uxbridge because the waitresses had big breasts and wore mini-skirts.

Ten years later, at age 50, the friends once again discussed where they should meet for lunch.

Finally it was agreed that they would meet at Wetherspoons in Uxbridge because the waitresses were attractive.

The food and service was good and the beer selection was excellent.

Ten years later, at age 60, the friends again discussed where they should meet for lunch. Finally it was agreed that they would meet at Wetherspoons in Uxbridge because there was plenty of parking, they could dine in peace and quiet with no loud music, and it was good value for money.

Ten years later, at age 70, the friends discussed where they should meet for lunch.

Finally it was agreed that they would meet at Wetherspoons in Uxbridge because the restaurant was wheelchair accessible and had a toilet for the disabled.

Ten years later, at age 80, the friends discussed where they should meet for lunch.

Finally it was agreed that they would meet at Wetherspoons in Uxbridge because they had never been there before.
thumbsup.gif

·
mac pinches
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, i eventually found my way back to the Wolves track for a test session of my newly constructed vehicle, that was after pouring

over many maps and directions.

Yes the old guys where there, a lot more wrinkles were in evidence, but still as ugly as when i left.

It was now time to see if all those grey dry joints plus the components held together with a line of gobs of solder would hold together

for a lape or two ?????????????

On to the main straight, ready to unleash all that 18 k,s of pure power wow , i was worried i may develop a nose bleed trying to control

such a brute.

Off it went, it did not accelerate as such, it sort of gathered momentum, but would it stop in time for the first bend ? i had total faith in

the beast, of course it did, what else ?

Conclusions of the outing? the side tubes carrying the suspension arms need resetting, the ground clearance needs to be lower, a

set of tyres that will allow the thing to negotiate bends need to be found, a rethink of the gearing is a must, all this and no body fitted.

Is a total rebuild the answer, may be, just may be .

One last question ? why oh why did i read Muter,s mail regarding the meeting in the first place, i could have carried on in my own bemused

state of mind life-style dooo !

mac P

1 - 20 of 20 Posts