SlotForum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
QUOTE (atenthofasecondfromreality @ 21 Jun 2012, 07:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What is a good way of making some oil drums for scenery?
there are quite a few ways of making them.the easiest way is get some 20mm pipe electrical conduit will do,cut it into 30mm lengths then make a cap for each end out of card,plastic etc.most oil drums have a couple of ridges going round them which you can replicate with two elastic bands round the pipe then paint over them with gloss paint.
regards,martin.

·
Registered
468 Posts
There are many options to be found in the military modeling hobby. I don't know how many different types of 'oil drum' sets there are, but several certainly. They are all nearly 1/35th scale, which makes them slightly 'undersized', but not noticeably so. I used an Italeria set for my track, but I know that there are several other options out there. A search for 1/35 oil drums should turn up any number of options. Hope this helps.

Best,

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Tamiya for me too. The kit was a 'tank mechanics and accessories' one purchased with the intention of doing a Dr Frankenstein job on the mechanics and turn them into drivers. The drums and fuel cans in the kit were a bonus.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
For track marker oil drums, I've used half inch dowel. For about £3 pounds I can get 30 or 40 out of one length. They dont have the additional detail as on the kit types, but for general use, once painted they dont look too bad.

Dave

·
Registered
23 Posts
Paper Oil Drums

This may seem like along way to go, but once there, you can make all the oil drums you will ever need. Below find a shot from my Winzig Nurburgring layout seen on this forum in March-April of 2010.

I made these oil drums using the paper patterns supplied by the great slot car paper model site, carrera4fun.de
The site is in German, so navigation can be tricky. After you're in carrera4fun, go to Gebaude & Deko, then to Kleinteile (Smarties), then to Olfasser. (Pardon my lack of umlauts!) The patterns for the oil drums will be found here, at the bottom of the page.

For my oil drums, I started with those shown in the web site, but I dropped in web-found oil company logos for a bit more color. I can't take the time to describe how you would do that, but if you have access to someone under thirty years old, they can show you the way.

Good luck,

Thumb Dog

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Go to Ebay
Look under Model Boat Fittings
& Oil Drum and you will find 1/32nd scale 50 gallon resin drums.

Alan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts