SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I am about to soak a load of old (c1980s) Scalextric tyres in a bowl of olive oil for a few days in an attempt to soften them up. Should I soak the ribbed front tyres as well? I like the idea of olive oil as it 'seems cleaner' (what a tart!). If anyone knows why I shouldn't use this instead of 3 in 1 oil or whatever, please speak now... or forever hold thy peace.
Many thanks. Keith.

·
Gordon Steadman
6,887 Posts
My immediate reaction is no.

Front tyres should be as hard as possible to avoid them gripping and digging in. All my cars have nail varnish or superglue treatment for that very reason.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Do you know of anybody who has tried olive oil on that sort of tyre?

Unless some people who have tried it reply, it might be wise to try it on a couple of tyres first and see what happens. Also some experimentation with how long they should be immersed in oil might be wise, some tyres go usefully soft after a short period of oil treatment then start blistering if soaked for too long.

Olive oil and 3 in 1 oil are very different things.

You never know what works till somebody tries it, could be better, worse, not work at all or damage the tyres

As Gordon has said, most cars work better with hard front tyres. It's usually only the rears where softening can be an advantage.

·
Circuit Owner
5,905 Posts
Agree on not treating the fronts.

I'm not sure if Olive oil will help. I have only heard of people using mineral oil - but no harm in trying one tyre to see if it works. Don't commit all tyres until you are sure what the effect will be.

My major concern with soaking tyres is that oil causes rubber to soften but also to expand. It will also make the tyres very difficult to glue to the rims if needed.

I only treat the outside of tyres to improve grip because I don't want an expanded tyre that doesn't sit tight on the rims. I also glue and true for racing but that may not be a requirement for you. You only need grip on the tread area so a few drops rubbed into the tyre surface regularly could be all you need.

3-in-ONE works well on Scalextric rubber.

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
WD40 also works quite well as does ZX1 ;)

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you very much everyone. I did suspect that one shouldn't soak the front tyres; it's good to have that confirmed. I am going to follow your advice and only soak the outer parts of the tyres... in 3 in 1. I hadn't considered the other consequences you have mentioned and don't want to risk ruining still viable items. If I come across any particularly unusable tyres I will try the olive oil test and report back. I will of course need to gain some experience re. the standard proceedure first before I am in a position to make any meaningful, relative comment concerning the two 'techniques', so please bear with me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts