SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
redstar
1,591 Posts
Here is a "mystery" that has not been addressed. The differences between the 2 Ok Kader Coopers 1/30th scale. The most noticeable difference between the 2 Coopers is the underside. One has a riveted white bottom with 2 exhaust pipes and the other more common one does not.But there are quite a few other differences as well. I think the Cooper with the white bottom is the earlier one. It has a earlier looking plastic grey motor while the newer version has an open motor. Both motors were made by Ok Kader. Both also have a lead weight which I show here which fits in the rear. The rear gear on the older version is smaller with less teeth. The later Cooper with the larger gear needs the bottom of its car to have a bulge while the earlier Cooper with the smaller gear does not need the bulge in the bottom of its car. This is another reason the white bottom car is the earlier version. Once they changed motors and went to the larger gear they had to get rid of the riveted white bottom and mold a bulge to receive the bigger gear. It could have The motor mounts are very different. The contact blades are different and the earlier Cooper has a longer pin guide. It seems the exhaust pipes like mine were fragile and broke and the cost of the riveted bottom would have been more. The earlier version does seem to be a lot more rare and all the sets I have seen have the later version. Does anyone have a set that has the earlier Cooper ? There must have been one. The Aston Martin to my knowledge never had a variant and was made after the 1st Cooper.

Attachments

·
Administrator
9,699 Posts
Thanks Bernard, I've actually wondered about that, and I hadn't made the motor connection before.

I see a lot of these in France, and some in England - they must have been cheap and well distributed here! I saw a lot more of the plain versions at first, but now seem to see more with the plastic exhaust plate on the bottom.

Don

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
Might be of interest.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,163 Posts
Great (touched up) pic with Surtees Lola Mk4 Climax, followed by Gurney in the Brabham BT7.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts