SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
I Have very fond memories of this club and track. I always thought the track was similar to Nordic, probably because it had a big banking too. All the members were friendly but very competitive, the two I remember the most are Gary Fletcher and John Wells. I believe neither of them race any longer, Gary was very busy being the bass player the The Blues Band, his own band and racing full size Fiestas. He was very inventive and built and ran at the Nationals a sports car and F1 with flywheels in them. I made the mistake of catching a stap sports car when it came off the banking and it left a motor shape burn in my palm. We often had visitors from other clubs, one being Ian Fisher. Any one else care to contribute.

Tony Davey (Bigtone)

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Visited quite often in the early/mid 80's, always a good nights racing.
I remember "big" Jim Huxley, Roy Cherry, Mike Stowe and Steve Sawney along with both Gary and John Wells, Ian Fisher was also a regular.
Not a track I got on well with, but back then most tracks I didn't get on well with!
Big loss to area 6 when the Flag went.
[oneofwos]

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi Guys
Chequered flag track was just off the A40 at the target roundabout ,in those days after club nights we used to retire to the target pub for a small libation . (it's a macdonalds now ,what a disgrace )
The track on this site was brought down from hawker sideley in hatfield where it had been built by peter wright in the early 70s
The track was used to run the last weller trophy race in 1973,additionally it was used for the successful 24 hour world record in in 1975 which was won by north london SME (304 plus miles)
The reason the track was chosen was because it was very quick with a steep banking at each end of a long straight
chequered flag club had previously been in a community centre in nearby ruislip .when those premises were lost it went to this community area by the A40 which i believe were a series of nissen huts.
It would have been brought down there in the late 1970s or early eighties
The track had to be modified slightly to get it in the width of the hut and it was still very quick.
One of my memories of it was that was a result of it being in fairly secluded space it used to get broken in to fairly frequently
Other members i remember that wern,t on the previous list were Keith Whiting and **** stow

cheers tony

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
OK here we go. Firstly what a fantastic track the last CF track was, bought down from Hatfield, slightly and beneficially shortened, with a great bit where you arrived too fast at the bottom of the hill, scraped round the bend then gunned it up what was quite a steep hill, the car almost hanging on its propellor as it turned sharp right at the top and zoomed down the banked entry to the straight then up into another banking with a wideish hairpin at the top, then down again. I have pics somewhere....a very advanced design with hardly any flat bits or straight bits, masses of elevation change and plenty of runoff room.

The first club was great too, in the community centre, with the little track on three 8x4 boards, which woiuld take a full-on sports car. Dave Lavelle, Dave Levene. We also ran BSCRA area rounds there, and I borrowed that track to run a public stand at the Racing Car Show when Dave Harvey's track got snowed in. By then it had become the Kodak track - where did that fit into the history - I know Tony and Keith used to work there.

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi Rob
when chequered falg moved form their premuises in ruislip and got the old hatfield track so the old chequered flag track was surplus to requirements
Kewith whiting who was a member of chequered flag and also worked ,like me and steve sawney at kodak was responsible fro the track rocking up at kodak ,it was nothing to do with me
at the time keith was a prominent member of the kodak car club andthe track was stored and erected in one of the car club garages
this probably went on till the mid 1980s when it stopped presumably through lack of enthusiasm ,not sure what happened to the track

Cheers tony

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mr.Davey
Good to hear from you.

Life after the Flag was never quite the same, me and Fletch went into our second or third retirement only to make another comeback years later after seeing an ad in Autosport for a money race hosted by Geoff Summers at Millstream (big mistake) and that brought us to Pinewood where we spent a good few years racing 1/24th. Gary's time as always was split between music and proper racing and gradually disappeared from the scene. I packed up a bit later and sold,off all my kit, Fletcher's is still in the basement so be warned!

My time at the Flag was the most enjoyable period of my slot racing, so fiercely competitive it took me a good six months just to make a semi on a club night but with persistence and a fat wallet gradually got to the top. We were our own worst enemies racing state of the art stuff every club night, newcomers didn't have a chance and only a few including yourself stuck at it.

The track was for me unique, a roller coaster giving an adrenalin pumping lap which most probably didn't do us any favours as other tracks we raced on were so different.

Membership dwindled and when we were forced to close our doors for the last time their wasn't any enthusiasm to find new premises and start over again

Jim Huxley went fishing
Roy Cherry played with rc planes
**** Stow moved to Leicestershire
Wink Hackman still present at Haydon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts