Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
I picked up an old mouldy Scalextric Ferrari Berlinetta 250 GT recently, here she is in a series of pics next to one which was in similar condition when I first got her. (Great old cars)

Anyone got pics of old mouldy slots? Let's see 'em.

Love it when I pick up one of these mouldy old scaleys for a song. Always look forward to bringing these old rascals back to life.
She'll end up looking like her sister again

Cheers, Billy (Oops! I meant to put this into the Vintage and Collectors section)

·
Horlicks Hero
1,940 Posts
I have a bunch of old cars that have that mold on them. What do you use to clean them up ? Give me some ideas and I'll post up pics of them

When I moved from the UK to the US, my slot cars were dropped off at my cousin's carpet warehouse, and stacked up in an unused toilet for seven years. The Nincos that were in their boxes are still pristine, but so many of the others are just coated in this junk. It's really very sad. I've been using dish soap and a toothbrush, but it's very slow going. There was also an ill fated attempt at using Astonish, but it turns out that's just a bit too abrasive.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Stoooo, I don't think it's medical science tbh. What I find the simplest way to remove that 'white stuff' is with a toothpick.

The white mouldy stuff is a 'wax' like formation, that's the only way I can describe it....get hold of a toothpick and cut the top off it (better than using the point) that'll wipe it with no probs. Scrape away at it then when you are satisfied you've shifted it from it's grip, wash it away with any soapy product.... I use 'Fairy Liquid' as that brings up a shine as well.

There will be some mould still lingering on the model, so just repeat what you've done before. Patience is a virtue. It'll come up like new guaranteed.

Billy....

....DONT use Astonish ffs Stoooo, that's for something else.

·
Horlicks Hero
1,940 Posts
QUOTE (SL0TCAR @ 21 Jun 2012, 00:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>....DONT use Astonish ffs Stoooo, that's for something else.

I was getting frustrated and working my way through the cupboard under the sink

·
Administrator
9,645 Posts
Changed to Vintage as requested Billy.

I believe we've had a few topics on cleaning up mould before, so you might try a search under Scalextric white mould or something like that. There was even an olive oil solution for the more difficult cases!

Don

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yes, put the plastic body only (not the rubber, electrics etc) to soak fully submerged in olive oil for a day or so and it will get rid of the mould with very little effort involved. Wash in dilute washing-up-liquidy-water to remove the oil. As a point of care, watch out for air bubbles after submerging as the air bubble stops the oil contacting with the body. Works on old Scalextric.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
A great looking car is the Ferrari 250 GT and good to see one getting a new lease of life.

This Mercedes 190SL was in a similar state to the #2 Ferrari. A good wash, a few new repro parts and modern running gear and it's back on the track again after many years sat gathering dust.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I just heat the mould with a hair dryer until it turns to an oil and wipe it off with a paper towel . Easy !

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (dgersh @ 21 Jun 2012, 09:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Changed to Vintage as requested Billy.

I believe we've had a few topics on cleaning up mould before, so you might try a search under Scalextric white mould or something like that. There was even an olive oil solution for the more difficult cases!

Don

Thanks Don.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts