SlotForum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Frederick
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am a real fan of old american slotcars. The one's from the 60's and 70's especially. So I was wondering if anyone can send me pictures of Ford GT40's, Shelby Cobra's, Ford Boss Mustang 302's and Chevrolet Corvette L88, Stingray or Grand Sport pictures. By the way I actually want pictures of slotcars and not pictures of the real 1:1 scale cars. Bye for now.

·
Frederick
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice to hear from you Mike Delanney. I am glad to hear that someone else really loves old american cars. Personally I think a lot more should be brought out.

·
Ewan McKen
1,448 Posts
Phil,

This is interesting.

Some of the well known Web-Retailers still have the Scalextric GT40 listed as an American Classic.
I am sure I remember them being called that on the Scalextric Website when they came out as well, although they are in Endurance Racing now.
(Edit: They are American Classics in the 2003 Catalogue.)
So as far as the Slot car is concerned, American is proven for me.

As for real cars:

The famous Italian Styling Houses, may have mainly done just the body styling, they often designed a whole car around an existing engine.
(I just read the GT40 engine was derived from an existing American V8)
These cars are not all known as Italian cars.

My car (well Mitsubishi pickup) is built in Thailand (they all are) but everybody tells me is it a Japanese car.

So I am left with the obvious conclusion:
It is not where it was designed,
It is not where it was built,
Follow the money, the GT40 was American.

Regards,
Ewan.

PS I think GT40 was British as well, but I can see the American claim.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The original Ford GT programme was developed and tested in Britain.

Then handed over to Shelby in America.

The MKII Ford was American using a detune NASCAR motor off the Ford Galaxie.
Except the winning Lemans team was American/New Zealand

The main American car and team to win Lemans was the 1967 MKIV of A J Foyt and Dan Gurney.

The Gulf Wyer Fords of 1968/69 were British developments of the MKI Ford GT40. And not Ford works team since Ford pulled out of racing in 1967.

Regards Allan

·
Frederick
1,054 Posts
GT40MKII you're kind of saying what philsmith said about it being built in Britain but raced by America. Ewanmcken also knows it's a British car. So with your opion GT40MKII I can strongly believe that the GT40 was originally a British car.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
So the Ford GT as the project was called in 1964 was Anglo/American. Built and designed in Britian. But finance and over seen by Ford America until handed over completely to Shelby in the form of the MKII.

To be on the safe side Ford wanted to blow Ferrari out of the water especially at Lemans. When it failed to buy Ferrari outright. Ford wanted to win Lemans and the manufacturer championship at any price. Thats why the transmission in the MKII Ford cost $25000 alone when that was a lot of money!!

That won the 1966 Lemans driven by two New Zealanders.

In 1967 they got their wish and an all American car and drivers won. Ford MKIV Shelby team
A J Foyt & Dan Gurney.

In 1968/69 it was back to Anglo/American with parts made available from Ford i.e. Gurney Weslake heads. The John Wyers Gulf sponsored team won numerious races along with P1075 winning Lemans two years running. Though Ford works teams had pulled out from endurance racing in 1967 because of engine capacity rule changes. Ford still benefited.

Regards Allan

·
Frederick
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info GT40MKII. I think it's great that you and philsmith and ewanmcken have told me tons about the GT40. However I did want this to be a thread for old american car pictures not a debate about whether the GT40 is a British or Amrican car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts