SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Frederick
1,054 Posts
Hi Once Again

To me Scalextric is one of the best brands of slot cars (Fly owners might argue about that). And they have never disappointed me with the cars looks or performance. And now once again they have brought out some great cars to the shelves with plenty more to come later this year. I'm talking about the old F1 cars from 1957.

The Green Vanwall No.10 and the Red Maserati No.1 are probably 2 of the most interesting cars Scalextric has brought out. Not only are they fun to drive and fun to look at but they are also really fun to hold in your hand because of their small size. I haven't actually got any of these cars yet but I can't wait until I have.

I personally prefer the Vanwall but you might like the Maserati more. And the old F1's don't stop there with 6 more ones coming out later this year. They are another livery of the Vanwall, another livery of the Maserati, 2 Coopers and 2 Ferraris. So by the end of the year you could own 8 classic F1 cars. To me I think one is just enough.

So what else can Scalextric do about these F1 cars? Well at the minute they've only brought out British and Italian old F1's so maybe in 2006 they could bring out some French and German cars too.

Well that's what I thought about them. What do you think? This thread is open for anyone who has an opinion about old F1 cars that are out now or old F1 cars to come later in the year. Tell me what you think. I think they're one of the best moves by Scalextric I've ever seen.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
I agree! I am enjoying both the Scaley and Cartrix vintage cars. Scaley used to do a Porsche F1, I suspect they might also redo that car since they seem to be repeating their former range.

But I hope most to see Lotus and BRM represented.

Paul
Circuit TrustChrist

·
Frederick
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your opion pault86. I still can't waiy for more cars to come. I didn't actually know Lotus made cars back then and I have no ideas about how they look. Hopefully you can try and send me a picture of the car then I can see if it would look good as a slotcar model and if Scalextric should make it in the future. I also hope they make these cars in the digital range so that one day in the future when lots of Scalextric Old F1 cars are out you could have your own classic grand prix race. Send me some pictures if you can. Write back to me if you think there's anything else you can tell me.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi

Lotus and BRM...It depends!

Which car and how "scale".

To my mind, the general term "classic" doesn't work. There was a sudden change in the technology AND rules in these cars such that, for instance, the Vanwall was NEVER run at the same time as the Sharknose.

Simply, the Vanwall was built for the 2.5litre period, as was the Maserati.

So, let us look at possible 2.5s they could do(1954 through 1960).

1)The BRM P25 is of a similar size and configuration to the maserati, front engine and all, very pretty to my eye. Late in the era, it was supplanted by a rear engine car that ran in 60 as a 2.5 and briefly in 61 with a 1.5...so the later car... But the later car is small and they might have problems with getting it to hold the equipment they use in the Vanwall.

2)Lotus had 2 basic cars in the 2.5 period. The Lotus 16 is a front motored swoopy car that was nicknamed the "Mini-Vanwall". Scaley Did do one back in the 60s, but it was a larger scale. And they did the Lotus 18(one of my favorites). The 18 is a cool car from the standpoint that with various motors it raced as a F1 and F2 and Fj in 60, and F1 and alll in 61 and 62. Having scratchbuilt one, it is JUST barely big enough for an S can. But again, I think mass production might be difficult. I have seen Lotus 18rtrs(VIP) that were oversized, and bad vac bodies but no scale bodies(otherwise I would not have scratchbuilt!)

For the 2.5s, there are a BUNCH of cool ferraris to run. The mercs just came out.

What they might consider is the Maserati 250f... Ya, I KNOW they did ONE. But here is the deal with Maseratis, the one they did is a"fanuzzi" bodied long nose from 57. However the bulk of F1 fields in the fifties were filled out by a less swoopy version of the car that was raced by half the racers in Eruope. The earlier car was done by Strombecker, but it was WAY big. The earlier car was owned by Moss and UDT Laystall and was in pale green. STIRLING MOSS! comon. In all, there were something like 39 250s built. A PRODUCTION CAR.

Cool drivers: Caroll Shelby drove a Fanuzzi bodied car in Dark Blue with white stripes. Seppi Seffert drove one in silver with yellow and blue stripes. Jim Hall drove one in White with Blue stripes. Comon. Lots of options here.

And there were 3 coopers in the 2.5 period.

Now, you might guess that I have already done all these cars..and I HAVE. I am thinking of you guys getting RTRS.

As for the 61 period cars. I believe that the BRMs MIGHT be doable by Scaley in Scale, but it is close. But the 61 lotuses are just OUT. There was the 18, which as I said, is just big enough. The 20/21 is just TOO SMALL. Some of you older collectors know his car, it is the "FJ" Lotus they did. Too small. There was a car called "18/21" which was a 18 with smaller body parts, but again, I don't think you can get an S can in a 1/32 car.

The Sharknose has been done in 1/32 and is big enough for the modern motors, so I see no problem there. Similarly, the Coopers are until they get "modern" with 63.

Fate

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I would really like to see Scalextric continue to release some more, well okay a lot more vintage racers! I hope Scalextric continue to bring us F1 cars from the different decades. I would love to see eventually at some point the (Clark) Lotus, (Stewart) Tyrell, (Lauda) Ferrari etc continuing this pattern until say for example, the turbo era (Villeneuve) Ferrari.

I strongly believe that there is a market for these types of cars; I also hope Scalextric convince other manufacturers to join in and release period F1 cars.

Like a lot of members here, having driven the Scalextric releases, I have to say they are great fun and work wonderfully straight out of the box and if you are inclined, work without the magnet too. My fears of constant wheel spin was soon quelled after a short period of driving, the little MotoGP motor is a gem.

Jamie

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
QUOTE So the motors Scalextric are building for their MOTOGP bikes are the same motors used for the 60's formula 1 cars they're making.

Not at the moment.....They are using the MOTOGP motors in their 2005 Formula One cars, Williams and Renault. They are however, a good choice for Future 60's Formula 1's.

Regards

Alan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts