SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
finished converting my lotus 49 to a lotus 34 but still detailing and waiting on decals for my sigma / Harvey aluminum special ford testbed car

·
Registered
686 Posts
Interesting, but the Lotus is much closer to the Lotus 42, a car for Graham Hill at the 67 Indy. It was a strange amalgam of Lotus 43, Lotus 49 and Ford DOHC. Much like exactly what you did. Now paint it STP dayglow red and put Graham in it. Nice use of Coyote exhaust pipes by the way.

Chris

·
Registered
686 Posts
The Lotus 42B was originally designed as an Indianapolis car but would do most of its racing in F5000. The 'B' does not indicate a revised design, it stood for BRM. Like the sister design, the F1 Lotus 43, the Indy 42 was intended for the BRM H16 engine, this time in 4.2-litre form.

Designed by Maurice Phillippe, the two chassis were built for the 1966 season but mothballed when the BRM engine project stalled. Even when the H16 did appear, it was massively overweight and blew up after just two laps of testing. The project was scrapped and the only 42 to be shipped to America for the 1967 Indy '500' was quickly fitted with a Ford V8. Graham Hill, the 1966 Indy '500' winner, drove the renamed '42F' but retired after 23 laps. Neither 42 would be run by Team Lotus again.

After the '500'. the unused second car, now designated 42B/2, proved hard to sell and eventually passed to Dave Lazenby's Lotus Components Ltd. From there it would be sold via Robs Lamplough to Bill Brack for 1969 Formula A. The 42F remained in the US and stuck around even longer, eventually going to Brack as a show car.

Both cars are still in existence but are reported to be 'in private collections'.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (BeardogRacing @ 20 Apr 2012, 14:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The Lotus 42B was originally designed as an Indianapolis car but would do most of its racing in F5000. The 'B' does not indicate a revised design, it stood for BRM. Like the sister design, the F1 Lotus 43, the Indy 42 was intended for the BRM H16 engine, this time in 4.2-litre form.

Designed by Maurice Phillippe, the two chassis were built for the 1966 season but mothballed when the BRM engine project stalled. Even when the H16 did appear, it was massively overweight and blew up after just two laps of testing. The project was scrapped and the only 42 to be shipped to America for the 1967 Indy '500' was quickly fitted with a Ford V8. Graham Hill, the 1966 Indy '500' winner, drove the renamed '42F' but retired after 23 laps. Neither 42 would be run by Team Lotus again.

After the '500'. the unused second car, now designated 42B/2, proved hard to sell and eventually passed to Dave Lazenby's Lotus Components Ltd. From there it would be sold via Robs Lamplough to Bill Brack for 1969 Formula A. The 42F remained in the US and stuck around even longer, eventually going to Brack as a show car.

Both cars are still in existence but are reported to be 'in private collections'.

hi chris i stand corrected, tell you the truth i never even knew that there was a 42 let alone a 42b. when are you going to make the care i really want. a bobby marshman pure firebird lotus 29?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Hi Mark,

So I see you live in Arizona, that splains everythin Lucy!!

Well I got as far as a Lotus 34, then the great recession hit....customers dried up and I had to get a real job. But before the Marshman 29 we need a Clark and Gurney 29.

Have you seen the Marshman builds on Open Wheel Modelling Forum? It's 1/24th static stuff but very interesting.

Seriously it wouldn't take much to make your Lotus a 42.

Chris

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (loosesalute @ 20 Apr 2012, 14:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Lovely work Mark.
I would love to see some more pics of them please.
Cheers,
Kev.

here's another angle plus building steps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts