SlotForum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Back in 1966 I built a Cheetah with a Lancer body, a scratch chassis and one of my rewound 4 volt versions of a Pittman DC-65A motor. The hood was cut and hinged to show a full Chevy Fuelie engine per the Cheetah shown by Bill Thomas a few years earlier. It was not a real competitive car as it was mainly for show. I had it about 2 months when a local racer had to have it and offered me $65.00 for it. I needed some money so I sold it. He left the area and it disappeared.

So back in 1981 or so I found another body and had another rewound motor for it so I rebuilt a second one which is now in a friend of mines vintage car collection. I am going to bring it to Las Vegas this year after I update it a bit with Silongies and and a bit of cleanup. Still a fun car to have around. I brought it home today and took some shots of it as it is.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Excellent! I'm afraid Mrs Howmet has awarded you the first of her new season's prizes, the now notorious Irish Pasty. But you'd be a fool to accept it.

Beautiful, but beautiful car!

Has a Cheetah ever run in the UK? I don't remember one at Goodwood yet. I'd love to see one in the flesh. I've only ever known it as a slot car!

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Beautiful car, Larry, as usual, and love that reworked 65XX! Will a car like this run with a rewound 36D on a King track?

If you don't mind a couple comments: seems the Lancer body is a bit elongated in front, and the front wheels could be a bit bigger. From photos of the Cheetah I've seen, it seems to have a real "nose-up" attitude - not ideal for a slot car! (and maybe not for real thing either, given the Cheetah's track record).

Would you still take $65 for one of these? big money, eh?

thanks for all your photos,
Don

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Funny you should mention the shape of the Cheetah, Don. I received an e-mail from one of the manufacturers asking for some help on this very subject. There are a couple of poor replicas of Cheetahs (1:1) around, that all have different bonnet shapes.

Looking at some of the slot car versions made in the 1960s, there are quite a few variations between manufacturers but I would think that the Cox version is probably the most accurate. I believe that the Bauer 1/32nd Cheetah is a copy of the Cox body and probably used to make the mould.

Kind regards

Russell

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I think this is one of those cases where scale accuracy is just pooh-bah. That is one GREAT looking slot car! The eye is greater than the micrometer, as has been pointed out on another thread (sorry, can't remember whose, but thanks!). I've seen plenty of cars that were absolutely 100% according to plan, but just don't cut it visually. They look loaded down, gimpy and static. There's a real art to making a car that looks right, as well as measures right. In my humble opinion. That there Cheetah looks like it's trashing lap records just sitting there, AND I LOVE THAT! It's a model racing car, not a museum exhibit. And the great thing about slot cars rather than die casts is that they're MADE TO RACE.
$80?

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
The most accurate Cheetah ever made as a slot car is the Cox model. The least accurate is the godawful clear body produced by Classic. In betrween there are another dozen or so, but the Cox car is IT.

Larry, that's a nice car you made there.

Mr. Pea

1 - 10 of 10 Posts