SlotForum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some new track recently not having had a scalextric for 20 years so thought I would combine some old with new. my loft is quite limiting for space, but this is what ive come up with- does this look like a fun layout? Ive not decided on the placement of crossovers yet as need to work out track lengths, and the startline will be top/middle just before the digital crossover

more importantly the old track that is a bit rusty (the left hand section), whats the best way to treat it? I was thinking rub it down, clean the dust/rust with meths and copper tape just the old track and solder wires under the newer track sections? the 2 gaps are waiting for my classic/sport convertors to arrive. the '+' signify what will be the high points and the'-' the low points

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hi,
I have been cleaning up some 60's classic track lately using the green scouring pad from the kitchen (the one that has the yellow foam and green scour pad attached to it) and some WD40. I'd say that depending on how rusty the track is to give it a go and see how it comes up. The pieces I have been cleaning have some rust on the surface but also some deeper rail rust which will not scrub off no matter how hard you scrub, decided it wasn't worth cleaning the 'extra rusty' pieces and have just kept to cleaning the track which is salvageable. The copper tape idea sounds like a good solution, a lot less elbow grease is needed as it does take quite some time to clean just the one piece but also make sure you clean the actual slot as there can sometimes be a bit of rust inbetween the two rails. It might also be a better idea in the future just to replace all the classic track you have with sport track because there is also the different slot depth between the classic and sport and also the difference in surface finish.

Matt

·
Registered
422 Posts
Don't be deceived by the lane length thing. The real issue is the lap times for both lanes - are they close? I had a lane that was longer and faster than the shorter one. Equal times is what you work on. My two cents.

Dan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts