SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

After some searching on the internet, I have still not enough information about what type of on board mini camera will do the job on a slot car.

Which one would you advise?

rallyhub

Prof I T
Hi

a few years back on here there was a fascination with key fob cameras, very cheap and very light and small, just a blob of blu tack and good to go
thumbsup.gif

No doubt times have moved on and Hi Def micro cams should now be about.

Would love to see some updates on the track you bought to the UKSF
thumbsup.gif

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ade,

Thank you for your reply.

Do you also have some experience with a specific type of Hi Def camera?

There will be a report about the building process of the "Flat Over Crest" Rally track in the March issue of Slot Car Magazine,

thereafter followed by an article of the finished track in the May issue.

It will also appear in the German slot car magazine Car-O-Line.

And will be shown here on SlotForum also.

rallyhub
thumbsup.gif

med_gallery_4449_3289_415294.jpg

Scalextric Stratos action on the British themed rally track "Flat Over Crest".

Registered
I hope this link is ok. FPV Drone video cam with integrated transmitter. Lots and lots to choose from in various resolutions. You'll need a receiver for live view and DVR as well to record. https://www.banggood.com/Eachine-E010C-E010S-Spare-Part-p-1119217.html?rmmds=category&cur_warehouse=USA

Banggood also has many lenses available so you can find the field of view you want. We use 110 degrees and higher in Drone racing, but something around 90 degrees or below would probably give a more realistic driver's view video.

Although much more expensive, they even have 4k cams, transmitters, and receivers if you're going for uber realistic. The choices can be overwhelming. Heh. I think they even have an EU warehouse as well.

Enjoy!

Registered
Just an afterthought. Live video is transmitted over a number of different frequencies here in US. I'm sure there are designated frequencies for EU as well. There is also a power limitation in the EU that is much lower than here in US. If you choose to use a live feed, I'm pretty sure you're limited to 25mw. That will give you a couple of hundred meters line of sight range. So, indoor, it won't pose a problem at all. I haven't looked, specifically, but I bet you could even find a tiny cam/DVR unit that you can stick to your cars, then remove and download by micro usb to your computer. That's probably going to be the cheaper solution. Some of them can do 1080p video, and even 4k.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Chris,

I guess also the cam in combination with the micro usb connected to the computer is the way to go for on board slot car videos.

It would be nice if there is someone here on SlotForum who has any experience with such a cam.

rallyhub
thumbsup.gif

Rich Dumas
For on-board cameras it is easier to use a keychain type than one that uses a transmitter and receiver. I have stuck the camera on the hood of a car and also put it on a rolling chassis without a body. The first camera that I bought was a very inexpensive one from a Chinese ebay dealer, later I bought a camera with higher resolution. Using the higher resolution camera did not result in a much better picture, other factors like better lighting are more important. I did buy a wide angle lens of the sort that are used with cell phone cameras, I did not find that to make a great improvement, but you might want to try one for yourself. Besides having good lighting remember to run the cars as slowly as possible or everything will be a blur. Having several cars in the picture will make for a more interesting video. You can also try pointing the camera backwards.

I have even put a camera on a HO car.

28058491324_6bf62d1b77_o.jpg

ParrotGod
Go-pro works well. have done some videos at the DiSCA 24h Le mans. But you really need large sweeping curves to make it effective and drive quite slow.

Usually these videos make me seasick-like...not realistic at all IMO.

Registered
Rallyhub, I'd be happy to shoot you some recommendations. I'm familiar with this cam. Fool proof. Stick it on, hit record, stop, download by micro usb; charges by usb. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hd-wing-camera-1280x720p-30fps-5mp-cmos.html

It has a wider angle lens so you get everything in focus, and capture all your terrific scenery.

Specs:
120 degree wide-angle HD camera lens,
5 Megapixels COMS sensor
Video resolution: 1280x720p 30fps
Selectable video quality: Superior/Standard/economic
Unique motion-detect recording function
Selectable motion-detect recording time: 10sec, 1min, 5min, 10min
Unique loop recording function
Photo resolution: 2560x1920 JPG
Built-in 850mAh Lipoly battery provides up to 3 hours of recording
Vibration alert support (Vibrates to confirm functions)
Memory slot: Transflash (Micro SD) support up to 32 GB
Size: 74mm x 28mm x 15mm
Weight: 29.4g
PC camera function
TV-OUT mode for Video play back and Funtion setup
TV-OUT modes Supports PAL/NTSC
USB2.0

Here's a link to all their recording cameras... from Gopro clones, to the Runcam (which is very popular in drone and RC airplane circles). https://hobbyking.com/en_us/fpv/fpv/cameras/recording.html

I buy a lot of stuff from these folks. Maybe one in 10 is DOA, but they have (slow) return policy.

Tell us your ideal camera, and I'll send you a PM with some options.

*** Leo A Capaldi ***
Thanks BluMiniMe,

There are UK stockists of these (HD Wing Camera). I just bought one from an RC type supplier.

Cheers, Leo

Premium Member
The camera above has to slow a frame rate, the faster and object or camera is moving the faster the frame rate needs to be. As a test do a quick video pan with phone at 30fps and 60fps and look a the sharpness of the freeze frames with each, 60fps will be sharper. Therefore you need a camera designed for taking action shoots or sports and 120fps would be even better. Too wide an angle lens may not be that good as they tend to distort the frame and as already said a slow driving speed. Think scale here, the sense of speed is affected by how open the space is, a narrow area like a slot track with fencing and scenery will appear faster so you need to go slower.

So

High frame rate = sharper video

Slow speed = more realistic video

Some thing like the latest Go-Pro Hero can do 240fps but at a cost. Some mid range will do 240pfs at 720p which should be good enough. But do you want to spend the cost of 2 or 3 slots cars on a camera.

best bet is to find someone with a camera you can borrow and mount it on a chassis and then drive so slow.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Many thanks for your advises. You have helped me a lot.

Now I know in what direction I have to sort things out.

Maybe the 808-26 is an option for me.

rallyhub
thumbsup.gif

Rich Dumas
A higher frame rate would be good, when I bought my second camera I was not able to find a keychain sized one with that feature. I believe that the higher the frame rate the more light the camera will need. One reason that driver's eye view videos do not look realistic is that a driver would normally be looking towards the inside of a corner, while the camera looks straight ahead. Some sort of articulated camera mount might actually be better than using a wide angle lens.

Registered
If it can help someone, we have made this movie by placing a Go Pro Hero Session on a slot with the double-sided tape.

Naturally the sound has been added for fun.

*** Leo A Capaldi ***
My "HD Wing Camera" arrived today and below is a quick sample. I haven't taken any static footage, I have other cameras for that. This is with it stuck to the roof a Range Rover that sits on a Tamiya Mini 4WD chassis so runs quite slowly, ideal for the job. Camera has quite a wide angle so that suits on-board coverage. I'm not saying its fantastic but in my experience its pretty good for on-board. Room is lit with fluorescent lighting and some local LEDs in the tunnels. With other cameras I had to rig up a 500W halogen floodlight as well.

(The track has "rally loops so is effectively a single lane).

Leo

[youtube-hd]PyCXw48uXoA[/youtube-hd]

The camera-car:

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Automotive parking light

Attachments

Banned
Very nice!
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

You've got lot of detail by driving quite slowly - I'd be interested to see what it looks like when speed up x4!

I can get x2 in youtube by copying and pasting url then clicking the setting button and selecting x2 - looks great!
biggrin.png

cheers!

Premium Member
I've done a few of these and I use one of the Keychain 808 cameras, I think mine is #16 which shoots at 60 frames per second. That means I can slow it down in the editing software to about 60% (to keep the cars on the screen longer) and it maintains more than 24 frames per second.

I shoot the static bits from a mobile phone camera, again at higher speed which I slow down in the edit. I use Microsoft Movie Maker which comes with Windows for free.

The important thing is to think how it would look on the screen - you would never see motor racing or a car chase where the cars are a blur and only on the screen for half a second. It's fine to do that but you also need to cut in footage where you can see more of the car too.

I'd love to be able to spend more time doing these but I'm usually bored by halfway through so they're a bit rushed.

Registered
I use a old Go-Pro Hero 2 for everything. I built a car to haul the camera around, either mounted on the front or the rear.

IMG_7708.JPG

I used some of the video starting about 20 seconds into this video.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts