Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Lenny Broke
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day
On another thread some of the lads have made reference to the on line racing series. Would one of them care to tell us more about it ?
Cheers, Lenny

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
ORS was the brainchild of Chris Moellering from the US. The concept was that anyone, with any type of car, on any type of track, in any scale, could compete with other racers from all over the world. The only requirements were that the track be a road course (no ovals) and that a computerized timing system be used.

Sounds impossible, right? I thought so too, but since I had no one local to race with after moving, I figured I'd try it. It was great fun, it DID work, and the people involved were terrific.

The basic mechanics of a race involved racing for the predetermined number of laps on your track, sending in a log file from your timing program, then the administrators took the log files, applied normalization logic to the times so that everyone's laps were normalized to the same base lap time (usually 10 seconds), and then merged everyone's times into a file that could be downloaded and passed through a viewer program to "watch the race".

The real key in ORS was consistency, not just speed. An "off" usually meant you would finish in the last few places. Sometimes, qualifying was held and your race times were factored against your Q time - breakouts (running faster than your Q time) were penalized, so you needed to drive fast in qualifying, but also needed to drive as close as possible to that time in the race without going faster - no way to sandbag!

We had people from the US, Canada, UK, Sweden, Australia, and Italy compete. We usually ran an F1 series that mirrored the actual schedule, an annual GT series, and some special races. We were getting about 24 entries at the peak of ORS.

After a brief while, I became the results administrator, freeing up some of the admin time for Chris. Dan was a general helping hand and involved in much of the decision making. When the three of us left the series in late 2002 (for different reasons), it slowly deteriorated and even though the web site is still there (ors.netg.se) it doesn't look like anything has happened for over a year.

A lot of fun while it lasted!

·
Lenny Broke
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
G'day
Thanks for your reply Fergy

I went over to ORS site too have a look, seemed like a good concept.
Some of the guys are still communicating but it looks like the series is (to quote Arnold J Rimmer) as dead as a can of spam. A bit of a shame really.

I wonder if something like that could work with slot forum members using 1/32 scale cars only, in a specified class eg: non mag classic sports cars.
Might be appealing to those who aren't keen on proxy racing but want to compete agaist others on the board. A sort of Slot forum championship.

Just a thought
Cheers, Lenny

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
thats the whole point of our open days although were in the UK so well, not everyone can come, but a we usually have about 20 or so. Jonny S has threatened to come, but not saying anything bad but everyevent I've been to and he's/pheonix have been invited, they havnt shown.

Rob.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
With ORS, no one had to go ANYwhere! You ran on your OWN track, and sent in a log file. Not head-to-head, but it was fun for those who did not have access to group racing. Actually, even some guys that did joined ORS just to have a bit of "different" fun (my teammate in the ORS F1 series was a former US HO national champion).

Much of the fun too was in the form of banter on the ORS board. Lots of BS took place... wait, haven't I seen some of that here!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts