SlotForum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Nice article.

I've recently taken 2 completely undriveable cars (without magnets) namely the Hornby Mustang and SCX BMW 320 WTCC and completely transformed them with the use of very little in the way of extra weight.

The consequence is I've got 2 new cars that are a complete joy to drive and are unexpectedly really quick.

I love it when people tell you that you've got cars that are complete no-hopers and you then tranform them with the simple addition of little bits of lead!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Very interesting article, thanks for putting in the time to produce it.
Im currently on a similar journey tho I doubt I have the patience to write it up as you have.

Im in the interesting position of having a set(6cars ea) of Scalextric:
Lamborghini Gallardo
Audi R8
Nissan GTR

and pairs of:
Porsche 997
Mclaren MP4 12C

We have a good sized track 10sec flat best times so far. So should avg out times better.
Fast straight/sections and a tight technical section. All boarderd and some with rail.
Independant variable power supply.(set to a known voltage)
Im going to use digital pace car settings which increment in 1% to get a consistent power <-> speed rating for each car.
This will also create a repeatable "off" point.
I will of course drive them myself too and get a good avg lap(1/100) times.
Im documenting the weights(measured at each wheel).
The chassis
the body.
Measure wheel base and length.

Mags out, tyres tuned.

Once all this is done,,, then Im going to start playing with weights
and do it all again

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
thanks Andy, that was a masterclass in tuning. for trying to equalize car performance. I allways start with tyres I know work and start from there as I,m looking for best possible lap times. john

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Its nice how these old threads come back up from time to time and its great to know the work is still useful!!

I have to say that now, after rather more experience in sloting some of what I wrote is probably not accurate but as a general approach some of it is still useful.....

Cheers
Andi

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
So if you were trying to use a handicap system to equalise performance you would make the faster cars lighter!

nice

great article BTW. can't wait to see the outcome of out2passya research as well.

Cheers

BSN

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Nice article Andrew, very interesting read

I am fairly new too scalextric, and I have just started tuning a Ninco porsche 997,
which has been played around with before, it has the NC-6 crusher motor, not the
standard NC-5, it has extra lead weight upfront and at the sides of the car, I will see
how well it performs on track.

I guess it is all personal taste how you want your car too perform on track, and
what skills you have, but some cars perform better on certain circuits that have
been built, and depends what type of track that you are running on.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
QUOTE (Marky Mark @ 18 Apr 2013, 22:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am fairly new too scalextric, and I have just started tuning a Ninco porsche 997,
which has been played around with before, it has the NC-6 crusher motor, not the
standard NC-5, it has extra lead weight upfront and at the sides of the car, I will see
how well it performs on track.

Hi Marky Mark
Its not just how much its where you put it! ooh er!

the 997 is a great car with no magnuts, you can combine adding weight with stiffening the chassis by fitting a trapezoid shaped peice of lead for the channel behind the motor under the rear axle. then a touch either side of the front wheels to keep the nose down.

have fun
BSN

·
Rich Dumas
3,600 Posts
Perhaps someone will post a new link. My club races without magnets, all of our tracks are wood, so those would be useless, except on the one with Magnabraid. My experience has been that you need to get everything else right before you add weight. If you start with regular plastic RTR cars you will probably have to lower the track voltage or use less powerful motors.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts