SlotForum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
A few months ago I was told about the 808 keychain camera, that's the search term you'll need when you go searching for it about 2 minutes from now

It's the size of a car key fob, weighs about 15 grammes (is that 1/2 oz?) and they cost between £7 and £30. That's cheap enough for people to stick them to R/C planes and fly them around or to bikes when cycling to impending doom down a mountain side. They're also ideal for strapping to your slot car and hammering around the track. USB connectivity and a tiny memory card handle the business of downloading stuff to your computer.

There are various different kinds with different frame sizes, unfortunately they're all 30 frames per second so it can be a bit bouncy.

Want to see what I recorded yesterday, and skilfully* edited this morning? Click the picture for the youtube link

Anyone else tried this?

*Yeah, right

·
Registered
913 Posts
Love the video!
Especially the wheel shots -very dukes of hazzard!

The quality is great for the price too, well worth it!

These could also be useful for seeing just how different set-ups can affect the cars handling - in your vid you can clearly see the wheels hopping and moving about etc

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only thing to beware is that putting the camera on can affect the weight of the slot car, especially if it's hanging out to the side on a pencil and bluetak. I had to put a counterweight on the other side for some of the shots, but you're right that on some parts you can see just under the car where the guide is lifting out of the slot a little!

·
Circuit Owner
5,925 Posts
Just whacked the PayPal balance with another £5 !!!

Just as well I have spare memory cards.

Thanks choc-ice - it's the compact solution I have been looking for.

For your interest here is my current video car - but my little Nikon compact camera is a bit wide for parts of my track - I can lane change but have to be in a certain lane on some parts of my circuit. Your little "find" will make it a bit easier as I will be able to be in any lane at any time. OK its not HD like the Nikon but it's way more convenient.

Cheers

Lane changing video car

·
Kitbasher
4,376 Posts
My version of the 808 camera - I think it cost me £7...

At some point I will strip it apart and mount it properly inside a slotcar but for now I just blutak it to the roof, works fine
This was taken indoors at the SCX seekend Autumn 2010

If you are doing this you MUST drive very slowly otherwise you WILL be car sick!

http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f126/pet...=rallytrack.mp4

·
Tel
4,090 Posts
Yep I have one and used it to film my very first few laps of my track.
I keep meaning to blu-tack it to the roof/bonnet of a car when we have 3 of us racing at home, but keep forgetting !
Quality isn't stellar, but I think it was about £7 delivered so I'm not complaining.

Love the suspension and steering shots

·
Circuit Owner
5,925 Posts
Anybody who has one of these camera will know the instruction sheet leaves a lot to be desired in the comprehension department.

Has anybody figured out how to get rid of the date/time stamp on the video?

I have managed to set it to the right time using the TAG file but can't figure out how to stop it time stamping.

Worst case scenario is I have to overlay the time stamp with some form of logo but I would prefer to have a plain video.

Thanks in anticipation!

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
QUOTE Has anybody figured out how to get rid of the date/time stamp on the video?
Depends which version you have - on most of them it is impossible.

I have posted this link before in various threads about this camera but go HERE for the full lowdown on them.

·
Circuit Owner
5,925 Posts
QUOTE (CMOTD @ 22 Feb 2012, 17:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Depends which version you have - on most of them it is impossible.

I have posted this link before in various threads about this camera but go HERE for the full lowdown on them.

OK thanks - I did use the search facility on SlotForum but it didn't turn up that thread.

Thanks for posting again.

Richard

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Great vid Choc-Ice. I really must get back to saving up for one of your chassis.

There is a lot of fun to be had with the cameras. They do range in quality a bit. I bought mine from DealsExtreme some time ago. The one I purchased isn't the best and severely hates the low light levels in the toy room.

It's also difficult to remember to drive slow enough. Even when you think you are going slow you probably need to go slower.

I found the Ford GTs and GT40s were a great shape for sticking a camera on the roof, with a slight downward slope. And the SCX Morgan has a bonnet just the perfect size for a camera.

Embs

1 - 14 of 14 Posts