SlotForum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I often strip old paint from bodyshells with Caustic Soda, it's quick and easy and I've never had a problem with it until recently when I dipped this car.

When you've finished laughing at what used to be a Ferrari 250 GTO.... has anyone got any thoughts on why this happened. I used the usual amount of the soda in water as I always do, this is a Revell body and I've stripped Revell's before using this method. I puzzled - any ideas?

David

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
No idea David, sorry. However, just a guess, but maybe the paint on that shell actually reacted with the plastic in such a way as to completely knacker it when caustic soda was applied.

Don't use boiling water next time!

Mark.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hmmm - I normally use brake fluid which I never had a problem with (even on resin bodies), until I tried it on a Top Slot Cobra which had been painted with a metallic colour - which it promptly deformed!

So - as Mark said - I guess it's the combination of paint with the plastic which has affected it somehow....

Paul

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
It`s like the advert for the 206 on telly. Blimey, using CS to strip. You are a brave man. I`ve used paint thinners in a upturned fly case as a bath. Two days to strip and no probs.

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the ideas, I reckon the reaction with the paint is probably it. As it's the only time I've ever lost a bodyshell with this method I'll carry on risking it.

I've also used CS with resin and fibreglass shells without damaging them.

JohnP - Now how do I get the Pink Kar chassis to deform in all the right places to fit the body!

David

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
QUOTE JohnP - Now how do I get the Pink Kar chassis to deform in all the right places to fit the body!
Piece of cake David:

Note for the squeamish. This isn't wanton destruction here - the GTO is getting a nice shiny new MRRC Clubman chassis and I have another project on the go that will use the Pink-Kar works.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Looking on the bright side, if you ever want to do a post-nuclear diorama you have the finish for the cars nailed...

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Excellent choice of chassis for the GTO John. Try the MRRC "Turbofire" motor it really flies!.

I would guess from looking at your piccies that the motor "sled" is aimed at a narrow bodied historic car, could be just the thing I'm looking for to fit my 1933 Aston Ulster!.

Howmet good job you didn't get to the body first with your "little saw" or it could have ended up an HO body!.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
QUOTE I would guess from looking at your piccies that the motor "sled" is aimed at a narrow bodied historic car
Right on the money there Alan.

howmet makes a point though and I have to wonder at the rationale behind Pink-Kars choice of motor. Look at this:

Why make a chassis for an outdated and expensive '60s style open frame motor that is then not fitted and so requires an adapter to a... a tidgy underpowered HO motor!? But then, because the HO motor shaft is too small to take a typical 1/32 size pinion they fit a bespoke splined brass motor shaft adapter to compensate for that as well! It's a beautiful piece of engineering but surely that part alone must have cost nearly as much as a cheapie can motor!

Oh for the beloved 16D powered Revell's of the mid-60's!

Ah well - nice car anyway and it all adds to the fun I suppose.

QUOTE Howmet good job you didn't get to the body first with your "little saw" or it could have ended up an HO body!.
No problem, I've got just the motor for it

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Look at that motor mount, it's a HO cahssis waiting to happen!

Take off the pinion and adapter, add HO pinion. Slide back axel through the two upright bits at the back of the motor. Add wheels to front. Add guide pin and your laughing...

Hehe, would like to see that done...

Lotus

·
John Roche
4,158 Posts
Back to paint stripping, I use Mr Muscle oven cleaner but the golden rule is to always test a small, out of sight part of the body first.

John

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Oh dear what a mare!

Why don't any of you use MODEL STRIP tm?

It canbe a bit tricky to buy, but it's safe, water based and i have never had any trouble on plastic.

Sometimes it takes a few coats/applications but works very well.

Gareth

·
Premium Member
5,398 Posts
QUOTE ...I have to wonder at the rationale behind Pink-Kars choice of motor.

Never ran a box standard GTO but maybe they were after a more scale speed for the old girl and didn't think it right that she be powered up like a modern GT.

Or, they just opened an old cupboard that nobody had opened in a long time and found a stack of these little fellas.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts