SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OPEL have announced that 2005 will be their last season in DTM. This is of course related to the vast reorganization taking place within General Motors and above all to the massive jobs cut that is going to happen, though the logic seems thin (would you agree that advertisement would have to cease when jobs are cut ?).

Anyway, that leaves only two manufacturers for DTM and that's at least one too short. If Mercedes and Audi can't find a third partner, I think DTM will be dropped. I don't see Mercedes and Audi going on on their own. Alfa being strongly committed to WTCC, I await to see which company might enter the series.

In the event that DTM can't go on, what should Mercedes and Audi do ?

Mercedes is unlikely to enter the WTCC series, their cars wouldn't be competitive. I rather them being involved in GT races or even bringing a prototype to Le Mans.

Regarding Audi, they are already committed to the Le Mans series, so an entry in the WTCC can be regarded as feasible. Some A4 are already competing in Sweden I think. Of course Seat is already present in that championship but their model (the Toledo) will no longer be in production and the new one shouldn't be a very good choice. So, a smart move from the VW group, would be Audi in the prototype category, Seat in the GT (with a Cupra ?) and Audi in the WTCC with an A4. Hey, I'm gonna ask some money for all my brainstorming ...

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Matt,

I have strong doubts you ever witnessed an ETCC race ! Talk about close racing ! I agree that the DTM cars look great, don't get me wrong, but ETCC is really hot. My only criticism is that the races are too short, otherwise ...

Regarding BMW's and Alfa's commitment, BMW have already stated that they are not interested in any national championship, so that doesn't bide too well for DTM, I'm afraid ...

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know if Motors TV is showing the series but I know Eurosport does, live ! Shame, I don't have Eurosport

1 - 5 of 5 Posts