Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
When Don said on the "brand histories" thread that "all open frame motors are pretty similar..." he must have had his tongue firmly in his cheek. I'm sure they all look different to him. Still, we can't let the remark pass.
Here are a few that (even without their attachments) seem quite different. Admittedly the Scalex RX and MRRC three-pole are similar, apart from the rear brackets.
I could have included a couple of others, such as a Scalextric FJ and a Strombecker, but it would have meant dismantling cars, and two other 'cubes', but those do look much the same.
There are also the Romfords, Ks, etc, but I don't have any of them.
I don't know the brand of the one on the bottom right, a five-pole with slightly unusual brushgear. Any ID welcome.
I'd guess there's more variety in open-frame shapes than among cans. And that's just in 1/32 scale cars, without going into m'bikes, trotters, etc, or smaller scales such as the Jouefs.
Anyway, what's your favourite? I like the Tyco with the asymmetrical pole-pieces (centre of bottom row).
Rob J
PS for Don: I admit the photo you were commenting on wasn't the best for encouraging ID.

·
Slot King
2,601 Posts
OK, my turn

Here is one of the Kemtron (They had great names like Mustang and Bronco).

A couple more hiding in there (the trouble with vintage stuff, it's hard to find
)

MPC

Mabuchi KM1

K STV I think.

Revell RP66 (same as Pittman)

Pittman DC70?

Joel

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Joel
With the round brushes and coil spring brush gear your STV might be a Mk 1 Super, the STV used a crude lever type brush/spring similar to MRRC but adapted to the same motor frame as the Mk1 Super, brush pivoted on insulating tape to stop it shorting!
Nice collection, the Kemtron looks interesting, any close up pictures?
[oneofwos]

·
Administrator
9,640 Posts
You caught me out Rob - guilty of over-simplifying!

In fact, as I wrote that, I had an image of the K's in my mind and thought, "hmm, maybe I should qualify that statement", and then thought, "nah, nobody will notice..."!

In the case in question, I was really thinking of the Pittman inline motors and the many copies of them, which are fairly similar...

For what it's worth, the Kemtrons are a different kind of open-frame motor, called "laminated pole" because their pole pieces are made up of a stack of laminations, kind of like an armature.

The other main categories are the sidewinder motors with integral gears and axles, like the Pittman DC706, and the inline motors with rear axle brackets, like the Pittman DC196 family.

Many years ago, for Slot Car Bulletin, I did a whole article extolling the virtues of open-frame motors, and will try to dig that out, with some better color photos...

Don

·
Administrator
9,640 Posts
From the photo library...

All that's missing is a group portrait of the standard Pittman inline style motor (plus all the quirky British stuff), so here's one of the ancestors, US style, the Pittman DC195..

Don

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
I went through a phase of obsessive open frame motor collecting, not just slot motors but a lot of open frame train motors too.
Here's some photos of part of my collection. The first one is an old Zenith that still runs very well.
I'll try to dig out my "Romford Five Star" to show you.
Cheers,
Tom.

·
Registered
623 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
QUOTE (SL0TCAR @ 16 Mar 2012, 23:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi all, can anyone tell me what this motor is off of? It's in a bit of a state I'm afraid.

It looks like a standard Mabuchi from a motorized Bandai or something model car kit?

·
Administrator
9,640 Posts
Yep, I'd agree, one of the thousands of different Mabuchi or similar models made to power toys of all kinds. Probably a 3V motor intended for battery operation. Could be anywhere from the 60s to today - well except for the vintage rust!

Don

·
Registered
623 Posts
Ach well...here's me hoping I had a much sought after and very rare motor from before slot cars were even invented.

Riches can wait but this motors fate won't....the bin!!!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Mornin
Here are a few i kept to lazy to take them out of the bags.
Anyone know the stock number for the two pole motors
Strombecker used after the Grey can and before the Scuttler?.
Thanks CG

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
What an array, and every one a gem, of course. Thanks for the response.
Old spotters will have easily identified the motors in my original photo (except perhaps one), but for anyone under 50 still wondering, they were:
Top row, from left: Scalextric Powersledge, Marusan/Atlas (AT206), MRRC three-pole;
Second row: Scalextric RX, Airfix Slimline, Airfix cube;
Bottom row: MRRC 4WD (which became the Airfix ballrace), VIP, Tyco 901, Pittman 196B, unknown five-pole.
The unknown five-pole is probably American, or at least not British. It has coil-sprung brushgear and is a very clean design, visually. It makes most of the others look quite eccentric.
It's about the same size as a Scalextric RX. It carries no name or number and I haven't been able to match it with anything in books or on sites like TheIndependentScratchbuilder's.
No; they still don't look 'all the same'. Below, see the Tyco 901, left, and the unknown, right.
Rob J

·
Administrator
9,640 Posts
Gramps,

The Strombecker "Motor 12V 5 Pole" is No. 8372, priced at $2.98. I seem to remember there was another model and model number, but not sure offhand, will take a look.

Rob,

That mystery motor looks very much like the Aristo Craft line sold by Polks Hobbies in NY and made in Japan. They were real Pittman look-alikes, but had the green arm wire, which I don't think Pittman used much, or at all. I just have the No. 18 6V model with rear axle bracket close at hand, but it looks very similar to yours, and Aristo Craft made several different versions of this motor.

Don

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
Actually, the Pittman motor in row two is a 196A, not B. The 196B had different brush gear, and, 1/4 x 1/8 inch bushings for the rear axle.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Afternoon
These are the two Strombecker motors that i need help with stock numbers.
I've always looked at them as the big pole motor and little pole motor until
a person asked the question at SCI and i had never given it a thought.
I believe they are mabuchi motors. Thanks for any help with this. CG

·
Administrator
9,640 Posts
Gramps,

Looking through my docs trying to find these numbers.

The one on the right seems to be the 9091 standard 12V motor. (that's from a French Strombecker catalog - but I just looked at another French catalog, in which the Mabuchi 15R motor is given the same number! - and in yet another French catalog, your motor is given the number 167-101 - but that's probably a French number!)

Ok, in a dealer's price list from 1966, I've also got:

Part No. 30019 - Motor 12V, Printed Circuit - that might be the earlier version of your motor on the right.

Can't find any more for now. Anybody else got some Strombecker catalogs??

Don

PS: probably by Igarashi, not Mabuchi.

PPS: I do see an Aristo Craft R6 without bracket in one of my lists...

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the correction, BWA. The Pittman is a 196A, not B. The B had twin-spring brushgear. Row three, actually.
Don: The mystery motor does look like the Aristo-Crafts, but according to one list and illustration the types 16, 17 and 18 all had integral rear axle brackets. Perhaps it's the earlier R6, which apparently did not have the bracket, though I can't find a pic of it. It's said to be adapted from a rail motor.
Rob J

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
QUOTE These are the two Strombecker motors that i need help with stock numbers.
I've always looked at them as the big pole motor and little pole motor until
a person asked the question at SCI and i had never given it a thought.
I believe they are mabuchi motors.

Both are Igarashi of course. ALL Strombecker cars used Igarashi motors from the introduction of the open-frame motors in their models in 1962. Igarashi became an integral part of Strombecker and the group also marketed motors for other slot car companies.

The one on the left is # 9091 and there was a slightly different one # 8372 marketed by Model Road & Raceways, the "commercial raceways" arm of Strombecker,and the one with the reversed brush system and white endbell was introduced in 1965 and I have to verify its number. It was the one used in the Strombecker 2-piece aluminum chassis that was inside the four 1/32 scale kits issued in 1965 with the last of the "plain-white" box cover. There was a Chaparral 2, a Cheetah, a Ferrari Dino 206 and a Plymouth Barracuda. These were the only kits using that chassis and this motor.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts