SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I have been fitting lights to some of my cars running off the B chip connector.

I didn't use the Slot it lighting kit but instead used the wiring loom brought to my attention by Grunz in this thread :-

https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=201535

It works really well, switch on and off with the brake button and gives front, rear and brake lights.

My problem was most of my cars have the C chip fitted, so I looked at how to use the lighting connector on the C chip to do the same job.

I bought some Flexible flat cable and hooked one up to the C chip and using a multi meter managed to work out which of the 6 pins did what.

It turns out they are doubled up in the following way

PIN 1 & 6 are Gnd

PIN 2 & 5 are +

PIN 3 & 4 are brake

I managed with some difficulty ( several failures) to solder wires to the end of the FFC shown in photos below

The other option was I had a few spare hall sensor FFC's lay around so if you carefully de-solder the Sensor and use the pins for the 3 wires it does the same job and is probably a little easier.

Both require very intricate soldering of the wires and will not be for everyone so I got in touch with Dr C regarding this topic and he has suggested then designed a very small breakout board with solder points on. He has placed an order for some of these which without doubt will make it doable for everyone.

Attachments

·
Greg Gaub
15,353 Posts
How does the end user attach the breakout board to the FFC? Will it have the little connector like on the Type-C chip?

·
Premium Member
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited by Moderator)
How does the end user attach the breakout board to the FFC? Will it have the little connector like on the Type-C chip?
Exactly Mr F Like this:

Attachments

·
novice jazz player &
6,599 Posts
My commercially purchased version of the board Davelat shows measures:

26mm x 18mm

The alternative newly designed board measures:

10mm x 9mm

So thats a reduction in area by a factor of more than 5:1.

This is a really simple board... its a terminal connection board... no more no less.

c

·
novice jazz player &
6,599 Posts
I am making up 30 of the boards 15 each for Davelat and me. The boards are very inexpensive as are the connectors.

I think the market is limited because this really is only a stop-gap til Slot.it bring their product in this space to market. If there is interest we could look at perhaps a 5x2 array of boards as a single sheet with v-groove cuts so they can be separated by hand. As the project was Davelats idea - need to think it through together.

Meanwhile the prototype boards dont exist just yet... i.e. yet another CAD design file... however... by tomorrow evening they should physically exist ;)

A bit of testing by the two beta testers... then perhaps a small production run... if there is enough interest.

One detail I have not yet established is whether there are onboard switching transistors for lighting circuits on the C1 decoder or whether these should be added to the above design. Lets see.

c

·
novice jazz player &
6,599 Posts
The new boards are 30% through the PCB manufacturing process already - this is the step where the through-board vias are filled with copper. At the destination end some SCP3 controllers and some O201c1 decoders have been flashed with O2 wireless firmware ready for testing of the new lighting interface boards :)

c

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Thanks for doing the research on this, great work. Not being able to connect the lights to the (c) chip has kept me from using them...well, that will no longer be the case.

Well done gents
thumbsup.gif

with kind regards

Tamar

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
They are close to be released by Slot It too I think, I saw a FB post from a distributor with the boards pictured, including the electronics to keep the lights on for a while when off track.

·
novice jazz player &
6,599 Posts
Thanks Minardi - good to know... and its good to have options... this design is clearly minimalist... i.e. no stay-on after deslot - but hopefully head/tail lights with brake-light function too.

c

·
ParrotGod
9,270 Posts
I am really curious about the slot.it light kit for this chip and what new functionality it will add.

I hope that there is more than just what is available with the B1 chip.

·
novice jazz player &
6,599 Posts
Back-tracking to the very simplest of lighting boards for the type-C decoder... as per the CAD images shared earlier on this thread.

Here are four of the new boards with 6 way FFC connectors attached. Plus three nice big solder pads.

PCB dimensions are approx 10.0mm x 10.2mm... Small and light.

Circuit component Wood Electronic component Font Flooring

Now to hand them over to the lighting experts :thumbsup:

c

Attachments

1 - 20 of 72 Posts