SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I received some boards from Clive today, they are perfect, small enough to fit in the car and comes with solder pads large enough to make the solder connections very easy.

I have attached some pics of the one I installed today.

Many thanks for taking this forward Clive, your efforts on this any many other of your projects are greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
They are close to be released by Slot It too I think, I saw a FB post from a distributor with the boards pictured, including the electronics to keep the lights on for a while when off track.
I ordered 4 sets from Slotcar-boutique.com (thank you atobit for sharing that link) as none of my regular local suppliers had them in stock.
Interesting bit of detail, the product shot..shows the same grey Flat-cable pictured in this topic.

I am really curious about the slot.it light kit for this chip and what new functionality it will add.

I hope that there is more than just what is available with the B1 chip.
Should be if you read the "manual", apparently the light on the SP44 light kit are controlled by the C-chip. Besides the regular on-of and brake lights , the SP44 now also has an "emergency" Flashing of all connected lights when the car de-slots or is stationary for more than 2 sec. Much like we've come accustomed to from the Z-Machine light kits.
Now if only Slot.it would be so kind to include a Flaming Exhaust feature to the SP44
thumbsup.gif

Manual also states that future O2 chip firmware releases might include the option to set the flashing frequency.
I'll keep you guys updated once I've connected my first set.

Hi Gio thanks,

Its 50mm
Hmmm, that's exactly the same length of the Hall sensor flat cable I'm using to dry test fit my O2 components on the chassis and in the body.
50mm is long enough for mounting as pictured in this topic (Flat cable from chip to interior exactly above chip) But if you mount your light kit (as) low (as possible) to the inside of the doors..

...50mm is too short to be able to lift the body and place it on its side next to the chassis..without disconnecting the flat cable.
Got any 75mm flat cables?

With kind regards
tamar

·
Premium Member
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hmmm, that's exactly the same length of the Hall sensor flat cable I'm using to dry test fit my O2 components on the chassis and in the body.
50mm is long enough for mounting as pictured in this topic (Flat cable from chip to interior exactly above chip) But if you mount your light kit (as) low (as possible) to the inside of the doors..

...50mm is too short to be able to lift the body and place it on its side next to the chassis..without disconnecting the flat cable.
Got any 75mm flat cables?

With kind regards
tamar
I agree 50mm is not ideal, its a little fiddly but all I could source was either 50 or 150mm

·
ParrotGod
9,270 Posts
Should be if you read the "manual", apparently the light on the SP44 light kit are controlled by the C-chip.
I believe that at the time I made my comment the manual was still being written.

Curious about the stationary flashing function: so even if the car has power just the fact that is stationary will put the lights in flashing mode?

I would have preferred a flashing mode when the car would enter pit mode as some GT3 cars do in 1:1 racing.

We made a long list of suggestions a while back about the light functionalities. Hope that we get most of those suggestions implemented.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
I believe that at the time I made my comment the manual was still being written.

Curious about the stationary flashing function: so even if the car has power just the fact that is stationary will put the lights in flashing mode?

I would have preferred a flashing mode when the car would enter pit mode as some GT3 cars do in 1:1 racing.

We made a long list of suggestions a while back about the light functionalities. Hope that we get most of those suggestions implemented.
Well yes, much like the Z-machine light kits. I guess its a simple way to have some "safety margin" to not overload the brake lights which on the old SP17 would burn continuously at their brightest when stationary.
With the lights being controlled by the C-Chip...and the announced "adjustable flash frequency) more Light options could very well still be possible.
I would second the Pit Lane Flashing...and the Flaming Exhausts.

what is the direction option (forward/reverse)?
See picture
Product Rectangle Font Slope Material property

Attachments

·
ParrotGod
9,270 Posts
I also second the flaming options although I think you would need some special pads for them and I am not sure if Slot.it has designed their light kit to support them.

Thanks for the Forward/Reverse direction...so let's wait for Dave or Clive to give us the ok if those have the correct pitch.

·
novice jazz player &
6,599 Posts
Thanks Dave for the kind words.

My thoughts are:

1/ the above reference looks fine FFC 6p 0.5mm pitch and suggest forward direction.
2/ I tried to order a few but they came up as not shipping to the UK.
3/ I will share later a link to the aliexpress supplier and RS supplier I have used.

forward-reverse.

Both Slot.it and I use connector sockets which have the 6 contact points upwards facing. So for these the connection side of the FFC cable should be downward facing i.e. the blue marker upward facing. Having both sockets same orientation and the two ends of the FFC cable with the same orientation (i.e. the FORWARDS variant) keeps things simple. However, if the install leads to a 180 twist in the FFC cable for specific scenarios then the REVERSE cable could be used. But I suggest simplicity and therefore I plan to stick with the forward variant of cable.

Hope this helps.

c

·
novice jazz player &
6,599 Posts
Just to add, the FFC cable shown in post #19 is the FORWARDs version. Blue tab facing upwards at both ends i.e. cable connection points facing downwards as they locate into the sockets.

c

·
novice jazz player &
6,599 Posts
Once the above twenty boards have been dispatched - I will take a look at small batch assembly... perhaps 120 boards built up in panels of six to simplify assembly. I can then make available through the traders section of sfi - assuming all goes well with the migration across to the new platform (fingers crossed).

The above twenty were hand assembled - quite tricky for 0.5mm pitch plastic connectors going onto tiny boards. And all twenty tested OK.

c

·
Vendor
2,974 Posts
BTW a 80mm cable is going to be on sale soon.

We actually purchased several 50mm cables but believed they'd be too short. Any opinions on this, before we take any decisions about which one to sell?

21 - 40 of 72 Posts