Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always really enjoyed seeing others slotcar tracks so here is mine....

Ive had the Oratia Valley Race way set up,in my garage now for about 3 years
It was a Scalextric Digital track and was heaps of great fun
. But ...... and heres the big But.... every time I had more than 3 drivers we had major problems with visability, As all drivers had to stand down one side of the wall mounted track.

SOLUTION

Start again.......

so here is the long saga of the New and Improved Oratia Valley Raceway.
As I build my new layout I will keep you up dated with pics. Feel free to comment , abuse, wonder or question

. proposed new lay out.
Keeping the same feel and principles as original track. It will be longer ( about 24meters ) and have more lane changers . 5 x straight lane change and 1 x corner lane change

old track pulled up ( only the hair pin remains)
Note the new lined wall and the space down the back of the track for drivers . Hooray a track with standing space on both sides

the new layout starts to take shape. Loose wires for power taps and external power supply to lane changers. Just getting started will up date soon

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
The layout looks great!

It seems you have some sort of "connectors" for your power taps (the white connection at the edge of the track) or am I mistaken?

I am curious as to how people install their power taps.

Keep up the good work!
Cheers!

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Thanks, gmac118.

I like using "modular" items which allow one to plug in the elements, like power taps, for quick connections.
My modular tables are going to be power and cable connected for quick assembly since the design is to have 2 x 3 tables all of which can be disassembled for easy moving.

That is why I am so interested in "modular" concepts.
Someone else mentioned that some R/C connectors are perfect for carrying the amps needed for a slot track and allow one to have plug and use cables for power taps.

Thanks for asking.
Cheers!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
some updates on work to date

2 shots of polystyrene base structure for landscaping

and the same sections with expanding foam added. note pre moulded plaster rocks added as well

detail of plaster rocks. need a bit more plaster work then paint.

side of track racing stripe. this a piece of wooden skirting board, painted white and then painted with red stripes. Great for the straights, just have to figure out how to get it to go around corners

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
updates...

!st attempt at rock faces. Im quite happy. still needs a bit of grass and vegetation

New Porsche drives paste new rocks. ( note the NZ livery on this car )

Two new racing boarders. Just painted skirting board. Simple, cheap and effective. Just how I like it.

Note new copper taping in progress. One lane up and running .... so close to racing YAhoo!!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Nice one Gmac.
And of course you'll be able to add wireless Slot.it controllers shortly, and the drivers can wander about to heart's content for marshaling or to fetch "lubricants" from the fridge.

If you are actually in/near Oratia valley, you're really close to the Henderson Slot club, which is generally for metal chassis racing. But there is also a major raxce day planned for 3rd September for RTR cars.

There is a link with details about it on another forum, or you can PM me, or you can contact the organiser, Dave West.
I can give you his email.

---- You aren't Darryl H. by any chance?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Up and racing on fully taped track. Running well. A couple of timing/lap counting issues. Will be sorted out with a new USB cable and firm ware upgrade ( hopefully ) followed by SSDC computer control!!!! Yahooo.
A bit of scenery progress to show......

a bit of grass added ,now for some tussock... maybe next week and some trackside advertising.

some new brick wall work on the banked section. I used terracotta coloured DAS. I really like the colour. It still needs painting but I think I will try to retain this sort of colour. I just made a small square stamp out of cardboard and stamped the brick shapes into the DAS while it was in place. Not much room here for sliding the tail. It will be interesting to see how the DAS holds up after a few laps

Go the Mighty All Blacks!!!!

·
slotfreak
320 Posts
Nice track , If I may make a suggestion. At my hardware they sell grit ,its used on railway tracks but only smaller and the same collour as the super rockwork you have done!
I actually sift the stuff to get sizes seperated ,it would look good scattered around the bottom of your oucroppings to represent small stones as it chiped off. Or use woodland scenics ,more costly.

The grass looks good as it fades into the grass carpet , the diferent coloured grass clumps is a nice touch , and I like the das modeling too. show more pictures of your progress please.

PS.why dont you weather the track ?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts