Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
9,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1967. What do we expect in a groovy film? Psychedelic sequences, a social conscience, idealism vs. selling out, go-go dancing, not quite naked girls and... slot cars!

We just happened to watch a film last night called I'll Never Forget What's 'is Name, directed by one Michael Winner, better known for the Death Wish movies. Starring Orson Welles, Oliver Reed and Carol White.

Oliver Reed is a brilliant young advertising man who's fed up with his job and his boss, the tycoon Orson Welles. He's got a wife and two mistresses of course, because of his green eyes... He quits his job and goes back to work for the literary magazine his old friend from Cambridge had started. Then a month or so later, he realizes his friend has sold the magazine to a big corporation, and when he goes upstairs to confront the new owners, he realizes it's his old boss, who, in the pivotal scene in the movie, shows how he always wins by staging a Scalextric race with his exotic young South Asian assistant, and his nearly naked Asian deputy assistant.

Looks like Scalextric F1 or FJ cars from the time. Don't really know how to excerpt the scene, but got a couple scene captures...

Definitely groovy, but the movie is just a wee bit dated...

"Winning is second nature to me"

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Any comments I make may be taken down in writing and used against me in a court of law ... so I'll just say well done, Don.
Thank you.

L.

(Phwoar!)

·
Administrator
9,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Chris, should have known it would already be on YouTube - or did you post it? It was also nice to see a good copy... our whole DVD had the voices desynchronized by a couple seconds! First time I've seen that.

So, what cars are they using? Or isn't anybody looking?

Don

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Hi Don,
Not sure if it's wise to admit anything these days with Hadopi lurking here in France, but it'll probably get taken off by Big Brother Goggle anyway.
No idea about the cars though.

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi Guys
When I could drag myself away from studying the young ladies collar bones ,I did notice a carp bit of continuity ,such that poor old orson cart doesn,t seem to know whether to use his finger or thumb ,so he uses both , the finger when he drops the flag and his thumb in the next shot
not sure about the cars ,but I dont think the controllers look like scalex ones
what do you reckon?

Cheers tony

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
hi Don.
A real period piece there. Orson Welles looks as if has has had one to many 'Goldon Olorroso's' already...and surprisingly, a very young Oliver Reed, looks stone cold sober!
The track has been well thought out for a movie prop, incorporating the very important, 'hump back' bridge...every boys dream section in the sixties.
Regards Bill.
P.S, I think they are FJ scalex models.

·
Jim Moyes
4,999 Posts
Some scenes from that film were shot in my Dad's breakers yard. I think there's a part where lots of cameras get thrown into a car baler. Never seen the film - can't stand Oliver Reed!

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
The fat pervs defo got a Scaley throttle cos he`s exercising his power over life & death on the Blow-Out track.
Other throttles look like the MM249 except mine don`t have the thumb supports like those on the video.
Cheers,
Kev

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
QUOTE (Mr.M @ 18 Sep 2011, 22:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Some scenes from that film were shot in my Dad's breakers yard. I think there's a part where lots of cameras get thrown into a car baler. Never seen the film - can't stand Oliver Reed!
This one? What 1:1 cars can you identify? I see a 2CV to kick off.

·
Administrator
9,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Trouble is, a lot of these "cult" movies turn out to be not so good, like this one... I think "self-indulgent" is the word that springs to mind... but it's nice seeing all those mini-skirts again - and the film also has Marianne Faithful in the role of one of the mistresses... better singer than actrice I'm afraid...

Still, worth a look for many reasons.

Don

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
Anything with a young Ms. Faithful in it has got be worth a look!!
Best cult film I`ve ever seen was Zachariah(The First Electric Western).
Released in 1971 it featured a very young Don Johnson & my fave rave group, Country Joe & The Fish.
Cheers,
Kev

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi Don
Her acting was certainly better than her singing in "Girl on a motor bike "
another great cult movie with all you need ,large choppers and unfettered knockers ,what the 60s was all about

Cheers tony

1 - 16 of 16 Posts