Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Have decided to get the set out the loft and start using it again, for my children you understand!
It is classic track, all is working fine after a dusting off with a soft cloth, but the cars seem to be sliding off the corners, and wheel spinning down the straights.
Bought a new car with the same problem, is there anyway to clean the track and increase the traction, mainly on the corners the back steps out and spins.

Thankyou

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Hi & welcome to the forum - lots of invaluable information here,

My 30 year old cars tyres had gone hard and impossible to drive round a bend, but the cars were transformed by changing the tyres - initially for soft rubber & now with urethanes.

For more recent cars there's tons of posts with advice on this forum but in short you could try:
- cleaning them a chemical product (I've heard lighter fluid or meths are effective - someone can confirm this? - as I use Essence F, a French product).
- oiling them with a little 3in1 or WD40 & leave time for them to absorb the product will soften the tyres in the short term.
- true the tyres - hold them lightly on some sandpaper (I use 120 grade) for short periods moving the car from side to side and with the motor running at half speed or so until there are properly flat and there's no ridges .
- roll the back tyres over some sticky tape (every time you use them). I just use cheap masking tape but others use stickier stuff.

Some or all of these make a fantastic difference - the last one is a must. You only need to do the back tyres.
Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankyou. But any advise on how to make the track more grippy, seems a bit shiney and slipery/?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I would suggest painting your track with Ralph Lauren "river rock". This paint has a fine grit mixed in, provides loads of grip and works very well with stock tires ..... saving you money in the long run. I don't know if this product is available in the UK [ I'm in Canada ] but there must be something similar.

I painted my scalex sport trak with it, very happy with appearance and performance. The sport trak did require priming before final coat with the "river rock" latex.

Best of luck with the project!

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Seems to me cleaning the track with WD40 would make the problem worse. I would suggest cleaning the track with methylated spirits or isoprop alcohol will remove debris and any residue which is causing the slipperiness. Plus both products evaporate completely and will not compound traction issues.

Embs

·
Kitbasher
4,245 Posts
Actually Embs I used to use WD40 on my classic track regularly - it worked like a charm - honest!

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Ralph Lauren River Rock was pulled out of Home Depot early last year.
I have searched and cannot find anyone still carrying it in Canada or the US.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Hi

I had a similar problem with scalextric sport track in my loft. In the end I cleaned the thick off with a damp cloth and a little dish detergent. Once it was clean and de greased I wiped it over with a clean cloth cloth and a little WD40. Now to keep the dust off I use a micro fiber cloth.

The track should be fine once clean, I would use paint as a last resort and to be fair you would have to degrease and clean the track before you painted it anyway.

Also follow some of the advice on tyres, no matter how good your track is you will not get grip if your tyres are hard.

High strength magnets will pin the cars down on the track better but I would imagine you new car would have those. Barrier around the outside of the corners help with this. The cars will loose traction at some point no matter how much grip you have if you have scalectric's newer track barriers there is a small run off area before the actual barrier.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
QUOTE (wayne69x @ 18 Nov 2011, 14:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Also follow some of the advice on tyres, no matter how good your track is you will not get grip if your tyres are hard.r.
Better still, follow ALL the advice on tyres
Try it, I bet it's the major part of your problem.
And Wayne's your man for the tyres - I've just got 27 pairs of his home-made urethanes, and am breaking lap records left, right & centre and sliding off much less on my smooth Scaley Sport track (even smoother than classic track) - good value and quality & great service! Now I can start to enjoy the magless trip & take some of the weights out which I had to add with the original tyres especially on Scaley cars?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts