SlotForum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got an email from my local pusher telling me that the SSD lane change pieces are in. I want to get two more LC's to add to the two that came with the SSD set. Trouble is I can't decide whether to get two In to Outs to compliment the two Out to Ins in the set of two more Out to Ins!

Any advice? Do you think it is layout dependent or generally better to always stick with Out to In?

·
David Moss
461 Posts
Not having dgital, you can take or leave this but: I'd say it's entirely down to what suits your track layout best. In most real life cases you would be trying to get to the inside line if possible but your layout may mean a slightly wider corner may be th faster line.

I'd say it all depends on the track designer & there layout. (Sorry, not much help, am I.)

BacardiBeast

·
Registered
773 Posts
...look fopr a pair - one in, one out - made the experience with my Carrera ProX then any unequal amount of switches does not work well...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thomas

I have 4 outer to inner at the moment. I think you need to see what suit your layout best, need to create equal opportunities for both lanes.

Hope this helps

ScalextricRacer

·
Registered
114 Posts
With my little experience i would say if your track layout is an 8 (or extended version of it) it does not matter so much as the lines are switching automatically from inside to outside with the 8. But if you have no crossing (means an Oval or similar) in your layout, i think Thomas is right an it is better to have similar # of in to out and out to in LC's

Greetings from Switzerland
Zubi

·
Registered
773 Posts
@ Zubi - you've a chance to join us on Saturday? Would be great!
@ Scalextricracer - you're wrong! If you've only switches directing out or in at the end all cars run on the same lane... Except you've a figure eight - but this is not necessary with digital! And flat layouts are much more fun if you run digital as you've to change lanes!!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thomas

I have a 100 foot layout, currently all i have at the moment is outer to inner, but after xmas i am planning to install at least 4 inner to outer.

ScalextricRacer

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I agree with bacardi - it depends on the circuit!

From my brief goes on digital, I think it might be impractical to change lanes more than once per 8 meters of track. Imho - that does not mean you only want to put LCs every 8 meters - because on the next lap you might wish to change lane in between those other 2 LCs.

If you have more LCs than can be used in a single lap, then you have to start thinking 'where do I want to change lane, and from which lane?' - the best plan is to race the circuit and see what carners you are thinking 'i wish i could change out here' or vice versa - and then go shopping modify the track accordingly...

I think good digital tracks will evolve rather than be designed - at least until there is a lot more experience of digital racing.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Astro

I think it all depends on the layout....

need to take some pic's with the lane changer in but i think i can get away with a few more.

ScalextricRacer

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I haven't fixed a layout yet, as the stable analog layout I had had few R2s and I ended up dissasembling it.

I think I will get a couple og In to Outs to mix things up. I have a feeling I will end up having to get 2 each of the other way (L hand curve ) too... all looking rather expensive! What's new?

I've said this before, but I will repeat it. I really wish these things were not direction specific. So infuriating to realise you can stick the car on travelling any direction but your layout only works one way

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am currently planning a lay-out with the lane change parts and so far arrived at the following basic rules (please correct me if I am wrong
):
1. You should avoid that all cars arrive at the same track
. This might seem obvious, but it is not as simple as taking turns from out-to-in to in-to-out as it is possible to make a track lay-outs with out-to-in followed by in-to-out that in one case direct all cars to the same track and in the other case make it possible to always go to the other track be it at the first or the second lane change point. So make an imaginary cut in the track and stretch the track to one long stretch and verify if there are sufficient options to go to the other track no matter on which track the car is.
2. A lane change is meant to by-pass another car as your car is going faster. So look at the track before the lane-change. Depending on inner curves or outer curves one of the tracks is likely to be the track where a car can best accelerate and therefore be the quickest. I would chose that track to have the option for lane change.
Looking forward to any comment on these reflections !!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (Freeway @ 20 Dec 2004, 17:00)I am currently planning a lay-out with the lane change parts and so far arrived at the following basic rules (please correct me if I am wrong
):
1. You should avoid that all cars arrive at the same track
. This might seem obvious, but it is not as simple as taking turns from out-to-in to in-to-out as it is possible to make a track lay-outs with out-to-in followed by in-to-out that in one case direct all cars to the same track and in the other case make it possible to always go to the other track be it at the first or the second lane change point. So make an imaginary cut in the track and stretch the track to one long stretch and verify if there are sufficient options to go to the other track no matter on which track the car is.
2. A lane change is meant to by-pass another car as your car is going faster. So look at the track before the lane-change. Depending on inner curves or outer curves one of the tracks is likely to be the track where a car can best accelerate and therefore be the quickest. I would chose that track to have the option for lane change.
Looking forward to any comment on these reflections !!
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good stuff. I went rather trial and error since I bought a couple of extra LC's before building a layout. Then I bought a couple more after!

Here's what I got so far... It's certainly a lot of fun in ARcaDe mode! I've been running the Skoda sans magnet and its great fun sliding it through a lane change.
Handles pretty damn good without I must say.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts