SlotForum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here are the pics of my new track as it can be seen today.
It is a mix of scalextric sport and ninco. I have many different corners, a couple of elevation changes and a couple of speedy areas.Not much scenery only a rug racer but I think the carpet does itself proud. Both lanes give out similar times and we love it here at pyne towers. Sorry about the snooker table, gets in the way of photos but they aren't that good anyway, I'm learning.
Let me know what you think anyway.
ps. anyone know of a free track designer that has scalextric sport and ninco so that I can draw up my track to post on the board for you to scrutinise and so I can think up new designs???

The new Track
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Electrical wiring Wood
tried my best to frame the whole track
Tire Automotive tire Infrastructure Vehicle Motor vehicle

Wheel Automotive design Automotive tire Bicycle tire Bumper

Automotive tire Car Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle

Light Train Toy Asphalt Mode of transport

Train Rolling stock Mode of transport Vehicle Rolling

Textile Wood Asphalt Floor Road surface

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Automotive tire Hood Bumper Wood Automotive design

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper

let me know what you think!

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The white people came with the stand, I don't know how to paint them. I have a few pre-painted figures around the track though.
No chance of a overhead shot as the track is mostly under the snooker table but if I had a track designer I could post the design.
One has already been reccomended for the MAC, anyone know of any for the pc that have both scalextric and ninco?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi guys, as you can tell from the pictures, I have pretty much filled my half of the room with track but I have more going spare.
I would love to be using all of my track instead of it sitting around wasting away.
Any ideas??

I was thinking I could go up another level so that I have three tiers, but how could I do this? any track supports that go up to this level?

·
Registered
530 Posts
As one rug racer to another, nice lay out, dude.

I am very eager to learn about the mix between Ninco and Sport track, is the change in track surface a big deal once you start racing?

I am only aware of the adaptor peices made by Ninco for the old style Scalextric track. Am I correct that they make adaptor pieces for Sport track, judging from the pictures?

I am interested because the Ninco digital system looks like it might be my choice for digital, when I convert, and I have a good pile of Sport track. I see that you were running Scalextric power and controls. I assume you had a choice of running Ninco, with all that track around, and was wondering why you chose one over the other.

Scalextric used to make a track elevation system that went three high. I assume they are discontinued for the good of humanity. I don't hear much about them lately, but then they were never much to brag about anyway.

The many parted system doesn't work as well as their genius barrel elevation system on rugs, which I see you have put to good and fitting use as track decorations.

Scalextric track elevation systems are really very good for passing down the rich oral traditions from father to child of how to really curse and curse well. That stuff isn't in books, and isn't well taught in schools. Scalextric track elevation systems are about the only thing I know of that will allow you to pass on that rich family oral tradition, without the pain of hitting your thumb repeatedly with a hammer.

I say take the same money and build your own. I bought mine only because they were very greatly reduced, and might come in handy. I've used them once in a while and I would hardly call them handy. As a further burn, the included build sheet in the box suggests a set up you can build with a triple decker corkscrew turn at one end. Nice, I'm sold. Then, when you are at home with time to study the plans, you see it calls for two sets..............

As you can see, the experience left me a bitter, complaining shell of a man with poor spelling abilities. I've heard SCX has a good riser system, costly, but good. I might try it out.....someday. Right now it....it hurts too much........

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks beachcruiser. You are correct that ninco adapter goes to classic. however I have overcome this by also buying the scalextric sport-classic adapter. So I have:

Ninco track-> ninco-classic adapter-> classic-sport adapter-> sport track

Their is a difference in the track styles for sure. The ninco has much more grip so with magnets it is difficult to slide whereas the sport is smooth and slippery round the corners and perhaps a little faster due to less grip. This however I find to be a good thing. The difference isn't too crazy but enough to offer a range of racing styles. I have hairpins on both tracks and with the sport you have to slow down and still slide whereas the ninco you can go a fair pace. It's all good fun'
Ninco pieces are slightly wider and longer than equivalent sport pieces too. remember that ninco also do the rally track and ice track sections which is something I am looking into at the moment.

in regard to my power and control, I had sport first and invested in an extra power adapter so that each lane has its own power to avoid surges.
ninco is newer and I only have one adapter so this is why I use scalextric. I felt the ninco required less on the throttle to accelerate,less range of movement between stop and top speed(don't know whether this is controller or powerbase) and prefer the scalextric in this respect although the trigger was smoother movement and the base has a polarity switch to race both ways. Personal preference really. I am goin for sport world soon anyway so will not matter unless it doesn't work. digital isn't really for me, expensive (chipping,equipment etc) and only 2 of us anyway. SCX pit box set looks cool though. Why you going for ninco over the others?

those barrels make good tyre walls I feel, I could use them for elevation I suppose but would need alot for three tiers. do you have the product code for the one you have? three tier corkscrew sounds good if i can track them down. The only way is up for me

I have seen the scx ones but doesn't say how high they will go.

thing I answered all your questions let me know if i didn't.

any pictures of your track on here???

·
Registered
530 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I have no pictures of my track, I just take it out and build a track , then put it away when I am done. So a picture of a particular day wouldn't say much. But, the plans in my head, that's another thing...........

About the only thing noteworthy about my collection of track is an old talking timing control section, which I connect into my new track with the Sport to classic adaptors. It works by light sensors in the slots, timing the cars or counting the laps. It's best feature is qualifying mode, where an excited english vioce calls out your lap times, to the tenth of a second. Great because you can get your times called out to you as you pass, so your eyes never have to leave the track as you try to better the last time, you just keep lapping.

When you spin out (so I've heard), and take longer than ten seconds to reach the timing house again, the excitement leaves his voice, not rude enough to sound disappointed, but cold in a factual way" failed to qualify", is the statement. Take another fast lap, and he's all excited and on your side again. It also sounds a horn to start a race, and briefly makes a kind of cheering crowd noise when the race ends.

I was thinking of the Ninco digital system because I have a a small pile of front motored Fly cars, plus a couple of others that are constructed to interfere with the hole needed for Scalextric LED positions. The Ninco requires nothing more than a chip install for digital retrofit, so that's the attraction. I have also heard their control and power systems are very good, but yours is the first side by side comparison. A lot of guys are so biased it's hard to know what to think.

Your remarks about the traction of the Ninco track have certainly given me something to think about. I really enjoy fishtails out of a good powerslide around a corner, and would be bummed if the track had too much grip, or was slower and wore out my tires faster in the bargin.

For now, it doesn't even matter, any digital is planned for well into the future. I haven't even seen the Ninco stuff, only read about it. I'm old enough to have seen when digital watches first came out, so I have seen the early adaptor digital bit played out many times. I need my liitle hard earned money to get treated better than that.

I have a lot of faith in both Ninco and Scalextric, and wish one system would be perfect. Perhaps if I wait long enough............

I am sorry that I don't have the product code for the track risers you asked about. I threw away the boxes long ago to save storage space.

The three level corkscrew is a rather fiddly construction. It must be built as instructed to work well, but still needs to be tended to every once in a while as the weight of the cars knock it out of whack, little by little, so you aren't missing much, unless you really crave a scale parking garage ramp race section.

Better to just steal your kids Legos and make something sturdy.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, I wouldn't say it's impossible to skid around the corners,it just isn't so easy but remember you can always remove magnets or get weaker ones. I have a couple of carreras old style with only one weak magnet toward the front (they have two these days one up front and one at the back). On my sport track I found them very difficult, deslotting here there and everywhere but now I can put in some half decent laps. They don't break records but when raced together can be great fun, lots of sliding here.
Also if you crave sliding ninco do the snow curves and you can always do what I have done and slip some scalextric track in.
I have read a few things about ninco digital on here, seems to be big anticipation for it, I think people assume because it's last to market it will be near perfect at release having learned from the others but i would wait for a few reviews before you go and buy it. they are doing a mastertrack version though which will be great value for money,will fit in your small space (2,44m-1,22m) and you can choose your own cars then too.
talking timer sounds too cool, I have never seen or heard of one, wonder why they don't have similar thing these days?
I never thought about using lego, thanks for that brainwave, might look a bit funny though.
I am not quite an early adopter, I usually wait 6-12 months to see how a product is doing, where it's headed, hence I haven't got sport world yet even though I am eager, you just have to resist the urge

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
QUOTE (Pynestar @ 8 Mar 2006, 13:39).. if I had a track designer I could post the design. One has already been reccomended for the MAC, anyone know of any for the pc that have both scalextric and ninco? ..
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I´ve been using SlotManager, you can download it free from http://www.slotcarmanager.de/en/all_frames_e.html

It has Ninco, Scalextric Sport and many others as standard in the parts library. I´ve been editing many parts of all makes, it´s easy to do, thus I´m not sure anymore if they (partslists) actually were complete (I´d think not .. ) But it´s easy to add and delete trackpieces, and add parts of your own make too.

There´s several other features too, timing of races, data on your cars and such.

-( R )-

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.