#1 ·
Last summer as an experiment I set up a 2-lane slot car track in my back
yard using Carrera track. I was curious as to how well it would stand up
to rain, and some hot +90F weather.

The stainless steel power rails worked perfectly, and the plastic track did
not seem to be effected by the high daytime temperatures we sometimes
get here in Wisconsin.

My yard has a slight grade away from the foundation, but the track conformed
nicely to these irregularities, and added to the overall layout.

Racing outdoors was a blast, but I discovered that night racing with LED
headlights does not work. LED headlights do not project their light forward
to illuminate the track. Low voltage garden lighting at the turns was required.

My initial tests were a success. Aside from having to sweep the track with
a broom before a day of racing the track held up well to the elements.

Later in the summer I expanded the layout by adding additional straights.

As the grass grew longer though, it became difficult to see the cars unless
you were standing.

Here we see Michael and brother Ralf battling it out in the esses.

Garden gnomes from a nearby magic mushroom ranch stopped by
one afternoon for a vintage Carrera event.

The entire track was torn down in late Autumn and stored in plastic
bins in the shed. Over the winter I purchased additional track so
that this Summer when I set it up again it will be even larger.

The only other item I intend to add is a set of Carrera's new wireless
infra-red hand controls and Mobil 1 receiving tower. As the track
grew larger it became a chore to set the hand controls down and
walk over to where a car had gone off. The wireless controls should
eliminate that problem nicely.

Carrera track with its locking track sections and turn aprons was a
perfect choice. I wouldn't attempt an outdoor raceway with Scalextric
or Ninco track however, as their power rails would rust and the turn
aprons would not stay attached.

-gb-

See less See more
#2 ·
Im suprised the track withstood the temperature variations and the rain. But thats really cool. Well done! Did you ever think about risking a hover mower and just going over the track??? Maybe you need a 1:32 scale lawn mower???

I am thinking bout an outdoor track but not permanent, just put it down for a day, combine it with a bar b q n invite the guys from the scalex club over. But its all hush hush at the moment so not a word to anyone bout it....

DOH!

Great garden btw!

#4 ·
I have tried that with classic scaley in an area protected from the rain
but not from the afternoon sun(summer temp up to 40 centigrade in Athens) and it was incredible the amount of elongation i got over a 7 piece straight and the resulting distortion.Rail rusting is not a problem having coated the rails with wd40 for the winter.The track is a 4 lane lying on a table 1.80x3.6 metres (6x12)

#5 ·
Carrera must be the only plastic system you can do this with as the rails wont rust, although the track will warp in the sun. But who cares as it wasn't flat on the grass in the first place.

Excellent project, the next is to do it in winter
OR route one out of perspex, use copper tape and have an all year one

#10 ·
QUOTE (GRAH1 @ 20 Mar 2006, 18:30)alexis I think you may have convinced me that the track will go in the stable of my house in crete and not on the flat roof I had a mind to do some alfresco racing this summer but I fear that warpage will prevent it .
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can always keep it covered from 1000 to 1900 hours:i lay light coloured floor tiles 30x30cm loose on the track,they reflect the light,they absorb the heat and press the track down and as i am in this business they are free.

#13 ·
Wouldn't need to route concrete, especially that coloured smooth stuff you can get for drives etc nowadays. Simply lay 2, 4, 6 or more acrylic strips into the concrete in the form of the layout you want as it dries.

Actually not a bad idea IF you could get it smooth enough.

#15 ·
Outside track would be really good, there has got to be a way it can be done properly.
swissracers idea of having a perspex track would work, although you will have to find a replacement for the copper tape, unfortunately my friend it will corrode being out in the weather. As i have found with my own track being outside but under cover.

The carrera track out in the open looked fanstastic, was quite surprised that it lasted the few months in your backyard.

Phil

#16 ·
I was peeking at this while at work earlier. Looking at your pictures again I see what you mean about the track conforming to the terrain. It looks really col how the track does that. I think you may have started some kind of trend.

I also noticed how no matter what, your cars probably won't get damaged from crashing off the track,they just rollin the grass.

#17 ·
I wonder how hard it would be to make an actual concrete track...
You would have to have some way to block out the slots while it is wet, but that would be cool if you could get one smooth enough for running. Wouldn't have to worry about textured paints and "simulating" concrete...

Talk about permanent.

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
ive thort about this b4
i rekon u could lay down thin flexable wood strip and concrete up to the level of the wood,then route the slot out of the wood,
the strip would only need to 1/2 inch wide to do the slot.plenty of flex for the nice wide sweepers

then i thort"why not a wider slot to accomodate the custom guide i could build so i could run my 1/10th RC car as a slotcar,but then id need a bigger concrete pad for the faster cars...."hey baby how bout we move the house accross the section a bit!!

needless to say the answer from her woz not good

NA WAIT!!...RADIO CONTROLLED OUTDOOR SLOTCARS!!!!!!!

#19 ·
This is great, outdoor racing would give me something to do in the garden during the summer. All we need now is the LGB garden railway of slotcars. Bump up the scale to 1/16 or something, custom made outdoor track works in any weather and of course might as well be digital. and we will be in business!

If they can do it for railways they can do it for slotcars.

We won't need special track pieces for less grip to simulate rain or snow we can just race when it has rained or snowed or even when it is raining or snowing which would add a visibility factor.

what do you think?

#20 ·
Hi All
I have laid out a track on the decking in my garden using Carrera track, It will be used for the summer and lifted in the winter. It has been done with the blessing of my new wife who even purchased another Carrera set for me to use for my Birthday.
I have to make or buy some boarders, but this summer will be the experiment to see how the track holds up in good old England before I invest more cash for track.
If it works out ok the the track will run round the fish pond! which is located in the middle of the decking area.
Pictures to follow later if interested.

#22 ·
Hi all
I have left the track down for the winter to see if it would last and so far it is still ok.
No signs of the deaded rust, it has survived the summer heat and did not pop apart.
picture here
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=3649754
for picture of track. I have also had a proper outside power socket fitted so that I do not have to run a long extension lead. ( I told the wife it was for the Lawn mower!

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
i'd love to have a garden track, i would definitely use Carrera, and would have a small water splash through the stream, and have it go around the pond

i wonder how may parents would feel? and how would mold grow on the track? and those clumps of green furry stuff? i suppose it would suit a rally track!

Matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.