SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys must have some brilliant layouts which must have cost you guys alot of money on buying track pieces. I have a temperory 4 lane scalextric classic set-up but with no outer curves or outer outer curves. The problem with having classic track is that theres only scx track that fits with mine and I will have to buy a number outer and outer curves to make my perfect layout, but looking at the prices of scx track its going to cost me alot of money for about 40 (ruffly). I mean that for 2 outer curves its £6.99 and thats rather alot. So either you guys get cheap new curves or you have spent an awfull amount of money?

·
Gary Skipp
6,515 Posts
Sadly its the latter.

Try scouring ebay for R3 (outer) curves or R4 (grand) in sets of 8 ir so. A quick clean should have them working as good as new so don't worry about their dirtiness. Just watch out for broken lugs, dents etc.

Another Place to try for scalkex classic curves would eb Pendle, allthough I dont know what the prices are like.

http://www.pendleslotracing.co.uk

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
mate I would seriously be thinking about looking into getting sport track now. I feel, sorry I know it's better than classic, but if you cannot source peices you only need to put a post in the wanted section because you can only just about give it away

Inte

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you guys get outer curves and outer outer curves cheap or do you just put a lot of money into buying them,,because looking at the prices thay aint cheap

·
Registered
71 Posts
Bare in mind that if you go the SCX route that the curves are actually different sizes and they do not fit around Scalextric classic track correctly.If you have say a 180 degree turn there will be something like a 10mm difference in the length. We've then had to use a Short straight and a quarter to get our 4 lanes to line back up correctly.

·
Registered
238 Posts
You're choices seem to be fairly clear, either scour e-bay until what you want comes up at a price you want to pay or buy at retail price from your local shop/preferred retailer.

Unfortunately, like you most of us are in the "wants vs funds" bracket and we can't always have everything we want straight away. The upside is that as you're making a permanent layout, once you have the necessary pieces you won't need to spend more on your track.....so it's a one off up-front cost.

(then you can start to worry about how much you're spending on cars
)

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have 3 sets of R3 outer curves in sport track. Unfortunately I had to have them special ordered at $7.99 each. Ended up I changed the layout before they came in and I was stuck buying them anyway. Since they were special ordered I couldnt return them either.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Try to get some second hand pieces of track. There must be a lot of people with classic track on their hands.

Another possibility for outer curves are Scalextric's Superspeedway sets. These are (were ?) sold with a huge discount and were real bargains (I remember seeing a Speedway (not Superspeedway) set being sold for the price of two cars).

·
Matt Tucker
3,550 Posts
When I switched from classic to sport I sold my R3 (outer) and R4 (outer outer) classic curves as these are the bits that are harder to find and thus retain some value.

With the rest of my classic track I made my rally layout and gave a load to a friend so they could set up a track at home.

classic r3 and r4 are harder to come by - keep an eye on ebay and or go to swapmeets.

Matt

·
Registered
12 Posts
If its any help I picked up twelve R3 curves from Ebay for only £12 plus postage and got another four for £5 to complete - They just needed a good clean
You have to watch the prices carefully though, as i have seen sets of twelve + R3 go for £30/£40
Who ever said you cant give classic track away doesnt trade on e bay - just look at the price of Pit lanes or Goodwood Chicanes !!!!! Its MAD

I have a mix of classic and sport and personally prefer the classic as the surface is grippier - just my opinion though

Cheers
Mark

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I think some of the hardest pieces to find are half inner curves ... Amazing prices for such small pieces of plastic ... but they bring true delight to a layout

1 - 15 of 15 Posts