Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of taking my rally track round some local events to raise a few £'s for charity and also raise interest in our hobby. One thing that is gazumping me is external power. Most events are external in fields so how would I cheaply (emphasis on this is paramount) get power to the track. I was aiming to use a Scaly sport terminal to transfer power to the actual track. All thoughts welcomed.

cheers
Matt

·
Registered
800 Posts
Car batteries are probably your cheapest way out. Just ditch the original Scalextric Sport terminal and wire in your own stuff.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm no expert in these matters but would a fuse in the circuit be advisable in case of short circuits (a car battery can provide a lot of amps!)? Can anyone else recommend a fuse rating?

mdhnn

·
Registered
800 Posts
I second the 1 amp motion, err, suggestion. Stock cars don't need much. Don't worry about burning anything up because the cars will only draw as many amps as they need, it isn't like voltage. If anything, your cars will probably run cooler on that clean DC power.

·
Registered
197 Posts
IMHO, a 1A per lane electronic fuse will work better since never blows, so you just need to remove the short, then the track is ready to use. Price: above 1€. It helps saving a lot of blown fuses for a strange short.

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys - car battery power seems to be concensus. Couple of queries - what voltage do car batteries normally throw out?

Also I am an electronics nightmare - I'm proud of mysel when I wire a plug correctly and was over the moon when I correctly soldered the wires to a XLR connector but how (pref in pics) would I connect a battery to the track and incorp a fuse.

Also would I still be able to use a scaly powerbase for the controller or would I need to wire up sommit else.

cheers
Matt

·
Registered
800 Posts
A car battery all by itself spits out 12v. One that is hooked up to a running automobile engine is kept at 13.8v by the alternator. So plan on 12v for a loose battery.

Do NOT use the Scalextric power base. You mentioned Scalextric Sport earlier, the Sport line uses 16v AC power from the wall wart and the power base converts it to DC and drops it to 12v. Putting a straight 12v DC into it will probably burn it up. You can wire directly to the track.

http://www.professormotor.com/trackwiring.shtml

http://www.professormotor.com/schem_wiringcenter.shtml

There is more info in there too. Please remember, this is not that difficult to do. It looks difficult simply because there are a lot of wires showing. Ignore all those wires and just concentrate on ONE controller station at a time. If you look at and try to remember all of them at once you'll get confused. Just work one station at a time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts