SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several years ago I started working on a slot car track in my basement using plastic track pieces: Scalextric Classic, Scalextric Sport and SCX Classic. Along the way I put copper tape on the rails for better conductivity.

Here's a rather amateur photo collage that show the overall layout:

Overlook composite title.JPG

Some photos from 5 years ago when I started working on the track and scenery:

pits grandstand.JPG

Scalextric grandstand and scratch built pit building with control tower along main straight.

under bridge.JPG

Under the bridge and on to the south loop.

south loop pond.JPG

The south loop with a pond in the middle.

south loop cliff.JPG

Around the south loop and heading north over the bridge and back towards the grandstand and pits. The cliff face is made from blocks of Styrofoam, slathered with Hydrocal and painted with a variety of gray, black and brown water-based paints. The blue and white curbing is just heavy paper that was hand painted.

behind pits.JPG

Two rally cars heading north behind the pits.

construction.JPG

Some clean up work is being done at the north end of the track. The guard rail is made from a length of wood molding from a home improvement store that is pinned and glued to square wooden posts.

More photos coming soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
571 Posts
Very nice track!...awesome scenery work....love the under bridge shot..Are the guard rails flat wood strips?...because they look like K rail shaped? or did u scribe lines to give it that look?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Nice job on the scenery, its a very compact layout, nice width (can retrieve cars easily) The compact layout hasn't detracted from your scenery work, nice!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most of the guardrails are plastic Scalextric rails that come with their slot race sets. Just the guardrail in the last photo is wood and it is a wood molding that I picked up at a local home improvement store - it already looked like a guardrail so I used it just as it came from the store.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ha, never thought of the Shining theme. I live on Overlook Drive so that's where the track name comes from. Not nearly as interesting, maybe I need to add an Overlook Hotel some day.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are some more photos of my slot car track as it has developed over the past few years.

P1080859.JPG

Pedestrian bridge over the front straight, from the pit building to the stairway down to the underground tunnel that connects to remote parking for spectators.

P1080860.JPG

P1080856.JPG

Pedestrian bridge now has a roof and the grandstand has been painted and decorated.

P1080857.JPG

P1080858.JPG

Dual racing fuel tanks were added behind the pit building. The tanks are from a die-cast truck and the stand is scratch built from balsa wood sticks.

P1080861.JPG

Two notch back Mustangs heading under the bridge.

P1080862.JPG

Heading around the pond after clearing the bridge.

P1080863.JPG

Rock cliffs on the right, pond on the left.

P1080867.JPG

Around the bend above the cliff and on the way to the highest point on the track.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No videos yet, I'll try to work on this. I will post some more photos soon since I have made some more upgrades.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
More updates to my track including a scratch built TV tower.

P1100376.JPG

Copper tape has been added to the rails and conductivity is much better, even all the way around the track.

P1100379.JPG

Ex military figure chopping wood.

P1100381.JPG

TV tower is scratch built using bits and pieces of wire, Plastruct stairways. TV camera is scratched out of plastic and wire bits and rotates on its base and pivots up and down.

P1100382.JPG

P1100383.JPG

P1100395.JPG

Pedestrian bridge has a roof made of corrugated plastic and long stairway that leads down to the tunnel that goes out to the remote parking lot.

P1100407.JPG

Scalextric grandstand is populated with spectators and decorated with paper flags.

P1100411.JPG

P1100421.JPG

The south loop goes around a small pond made with Woodland Senics 'real water'.

P1100424.JPG

P1100426.JPG

P1100442.JPG

The photographer is a former military figure modified to lie down and hold a long lens camera. Camera and lens are scratch built from bits of plastic.

P1100451.JPG

Cliff wall under upper level of the track is made from tree bark scrounged from nearby woods and hay bales are scratched from blocks of styrofoam coated with sawdust.

P1100462.JPG

P1100469.JPG

The TV cameraman and his assistant are modified military figures and the video camera is scratched from bits of plastic and metal.

The slots cars in these photos are a Pioneer Bullitt Mustang and a Carrera Pontiac Firebird Transam.

Attachments

·
Registered
571 Posts
Very nice! great use of Military figures ...was looking at some army men the other day at the toy store & was wondering how they could be adapted. Your scratch built cameras, tower, etc are very well done.

Keep pictz coming...waiting on that video
biggrin.png

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for your comments, Primed and Gloveman. It's fun to try to think of alternative uses for stuff lying around in my basement and then cobbling them together to come up with something that makes a good addition to the track and scenery.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I added a few more scenic details at Overlook Raceway Park and here are some pics:

P1150463-001.JPG

Scratchbuilt wooden viewing platform added on rim of the cliff near the high point on the track. The chain link safety fence is made from an old oven grill frame and the chain link mesh is from a desk top organizer. The white guardrail fence is made of wood posts and a length of of nylon strip taken from a very large zip-tie.

P1150471-001.JPG

Picnic table, cooler and safety barriers are all scratchbuilt with bits of wood, plastic and wire. Large tree is made of some dried flower stems from our garden and green Scenic Woodlands flocking. Hedge along brick wall is made from a piece cut from an old furnace filter and coated with ground up plant fibers from shrubs in our garden.

P1150473-001.JPG

Another view of the wooden viewing platform.

P1150474-001.JPG

View from above of the south end of the track. A mountain goat is on guard duty on top of the highest peak at the top right of the photo, next to the billboard. Billboard is scratchbuilt out of bits of wood and cardboard and is advertising the upcoming Can-Am Historic Races.

P1150478-001.JPG

Birdseye view of the whole track, looking from south to north.

P1150479.JPG

A moose is watching two climbers trying to scale the cliff so they can view the races at the curve that leads to the highest point on the track.

P1150484-001.JPG

The mountain goat is watching the climbers as a Cobra Daytona rumbles past the cliff.

P1150482-001.JPG

P1150487.JPG

Climbers from above. He had to hop over the stream before starting to scale the cliff.

P1150497-001.JPG

Viewing platform from above.

P1150504-001.JPG

P1150510-001.JPG

New scratchbuilt communication tower added on the roof of the race-control room.

P1150515.JPG

Tower is made from bits of plastic, wire and various bits and pieces from and old stereo and other electronic components.

P1150532-001.JPG

Overlook management added a sponsor sign to the safety fence behind the viewing platform and one fan brought along his tin snips to cut an open flap into the sign so he can see the racing action through the sign.

P1150541.JPG

Hopefully, the local Sunoco sponsor won't mind that a hole was cut out of their sign. It is a great place to view the racing action.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Overlook needed a winner's podium so the track construction crew put one together:

P1150498-001.JPG

P1150521-001.JPG

P1150527-001 (1).JPG

Podium is scratched from hardboard, foam-core and printouts that I made up in PowerPoint. The 3 winning drivers are from Revel, the other figures are Homies found on Ebay and the Michelin Man came from a local thrift store.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts