SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you click on the link below you will read a very thoughtful and message from a Ninco fan in connection with overpowerful motors for the home user:-

Home Racing World thread about overpowerful motors in Ninco cars

Now I totally agree with the sentiments. It appears that certain manufactures are going all out for the club racer market in a one upmanship competiton and this is to the detriment of home users who quite honestly do not possess the sort of ciruits at home that can accept cars that clearly are powered for something much bigger.

To be fair this can be seen by how popular certain makes are at clubs.

The club market may be massive in Spain but in the USA and the UK it is not (yet). Greater consideration should be made of the home user in these markets who do not require powerful club racing motors.

A lot of folk here knock Scalextric and Carrera and SCX for producing cars that they consider are not competitve at clubs.

I for one would prefer them to continue making cars that are accomodating of the home user and powered appropriately. The combination of higher levels of detail and possibly a lower spec lower cost running gear permit those manufacturers to offer exactly what the home market wants for the sort of money it is prepared to pay. Home racers can see the detail and are able to appreciate it.

The club racer wants low levels of detail and a higher spec running gear becuase ultimately he/she cannot see the car as the distances involved when racing are so much greater so an emphasis on high detail is not required.

So lets aplaude Ninco, Fly and Slot.It for looking after the club racers, and Scalextric, Carrera and SCX for looking after the home racers.

Moped

·
Registered
876 Posts
Actually I think this is much ado about nothing! So some manufacturers are making cars that appeal to "club racers...so??? It's not like that's ALL these companies are making - I know I need a much fuller wallet to satisfy my yearnings for all the "home based" slot cars before I find myself looking at the "racer" versions...

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I agree with the original writer's sentiments and have been saying similar things about HOME SET cars for years. Even an NC1 has more power than your average home racer can handle without artificial assistance.

It points to a reiteration of the cry for homeset chassis to be initially designed to take a low power motor AND to run well without any traction magnet. It would not be in the least difficult to make provision, in that same basic design, for later addition of a higher powered motor and/or traction magnets. That is the sensible order of priority for a homeset car manufacturer. It is MUCH easier to make a decent quality chassis go faster than to tune down a pile of garbage in order to run well at reduced speeds.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi Guys

Here in the U.S. you can buy the small 1kmf diodes used in the professor motor controller for about $1.50 each.

It is a simple mod to take two of them soldered in series on each lead wire to slow a scaly motor down to an NC1 level. You can do the same with slowing the NC2/3/5s down to that level. Or slowing the "racer" versions down to the stock scaley level.

Fate

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Who cares?

If cars don't run on home tracks, it will encourage them to visit clubs. This is a good thing, as it will broaden the hobby

Do any of you guys care about the prices or quality of RC planes? (Unless you are a planer).

Didn't think so. So why should I care about the prices and quality of "home slot cars"? I shouldn't, it doesn't concern me. What concerns me are the prices and quality of "club racing slot cars", because that is what I buy and use. Not planes, not "home racing cars", but cars designed for racing.

Look Moped, please, just stop making posts where the sole purpose is to "prove" that Scalextric is supposedly better than other manufacturers. You are convincing nobody, and frankly irritating many.

I am positive that your posts have converted anybody, because you are going about it in the wrong way.

McLaren

·
Registered
60 Posts
QUOTE (alfetta @ 2 Oct 2004, 21:28)McLaren
That is missing the point, and really a rather impolite if not downright rude post.
Alfetta
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I race at scalex clubs and set all my cars up and do the testing on carrera track and find the slot-v 12s run ok and for losing detail slot-it are spot on I think scalectric have just Been woke up and realised that they can make more than just a blob of plastic and may be in the future they may be has competative has slot-it fly ninco IT seems moped just racing on home tracks Which is fine but if the market soley rely's Home use it would collapes at the end of the day they are marketed for children
mark

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I think there are a lot more adults who are primarily home racers than you realise mark. In the UK, for the sake of the hobby, I hope that there are massively more adult home racers than adult club racers, otherwise there probably arent that many adult scalextric fans at all

·
Registered
876 Posts
Not to add fuel to this inflamation...but I'm still in the "so" stage...as in so what if Scalextric or Carrera or whoever makes a slot car or two or three that's intended for the "club racer"??? If one reads this and other slot car boards it's not hard to find many a post on how to make a "home-based" slot car faster one way or another...heck, I bought a Spirit "racing version" Reynard and though not as fast as their "normal" Lola or Reynard, still a nice car to race on a home track...as I'm sure the Fly and Ninco...not to mention the 30K+ rpm motored MRRC Toyota are too. And again, dismissing the "racer" slot cars, there's more than enough "home" car to choose from!!!

Now to add some "nitro-methane" to this minor spark..."Tropi", first off I built and raced scratch non-magnet cars on commercial race tracks back in the mid-60's - to say that a Ninco-1 is too much motor without a magnet is missing the point entirely on several fronts. One, what source of "conductivity" should the manufacturers use for their plastic tracks...copper??? Other than that, the use of a magnet for handling purposes is an easy way to tune a slot car...do note that I've owned and sold off Scalextric TA's because there was NO skill at all in driving them, yet I DO use magnets to make my cars handle the way I like...very similar to the way you use "lead" in the appropriate places...as I did in the past.

Secondly, to say that a RTR chassis is ill-designed without a magnet is sheer folly...I've built many a brass chassis from scratch and they ALL needed some weight here and there to perform properly...that you are an experienced slot racer should not cloud your thoughts about "home sets" bought by generally first time users to the hobby. Not everyone "likes" the slip-sliding away of a non-magnet car, in the past I've been there and done that and enjoyed it, but now since I run plastic, tuning a car with a magnet so it performs better is not a sin of the utmost..do note I like my cars lightly magged so they still can slide some - similar to adding lead here and there to get pretty much the same performance, but in far less time and testing. So to me a RTR's plastic chassis is no better than a scratch-built chassis arising out of the cloud of flux...both without magnets need on track "tuning" to achieve the desired performance...and lets not even go into the tire issue for different track surfaces....and gear ratios...and... There is no panacea for slot cars!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
HI Astro I know there are Home racers maybe if there are as many has you say why don't they try racing at club level Has some clubs struggle for members
mark

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
Lower powered motors still do have a place in slot racing ,now Im not known for agreeing with mope but certainly in the collectors market an the home market the standard mabuchi offers enough power ,but in club tacing there are a lot of variables which dictate the motor to use ,generally I will chose the motor which allows me to get the maximum amount of power onto the track and if thats an nc2 then thats what Ill use ,If I find I have enough traction to get the power of an sco7 onto the track then I;ll use that ,sure its great that manufacturers are doing race specials it saves a lot of messing for those who dont want to fiddle ,and as fate says if you want to go slower turn the voltage down I have a pot on my controller that lets me do that ,just dont hold back progress,plastic car manufacturers are just starting to catch up with the level of performance we had with scratch builds 35 yrs ago and racing is about performance just as much as beating the other guy ,yeah I know you can have fun with slower cars that are equal but its not the same as the buzz you get when racing a quick car is it.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Well, I think the majority of today's cars go too quick and are overpowered, it's been happening with all manufacturers over the last few years.

I don't think you can single out Ninco to blame.

What is it with these sweeping statements?

I club race.

I also like cars with detail, and I enjoy home racing too! Just because I attend a club doesn't automatically qualify me as a performance geek, I don't give a monkeys nut as long as the car goes, I would much rather race a scale model car than a [insert lightweight plastic/tupperware car here]

Jamie

P.S. I do agree with the points raised in the original post over on HRW.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Every CLUB struggles for members and we all know it.

For home racers NC1's are plenty powerful, for club racing, umm more power anyone?
If it's not going fast enough my answer it to simply make it go faster! People will shake their heads and try to tell you that running far too much power for the cars potential is useless. Yes, thats what you think, thats also what I did and prooved it works pretty damn well. The more power, the better

·
Peter Farrell
2,114 Posts
Gentlemen. We all race to the rules governing the situation in which we find ourselves. There is no argument, it's a case of Horses for Courses.
Alfetta

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Well I am a home racer, and mainly enjoy home racing. I haven't got time for weekly meetings, although I have greatly enjoyed the events I have been to at Wrexham and Pheonix, plus at the moment there are no suitable clubs near me.

But it is not just club racers who enjoy taking their cars to pieces and tuning/changing them. I was doing that a week after gettin my first set! And spent 6 months messing with things and experimenting before I even went to the first club meeting.

Thing is - if people are buying a LOT of cars (6+), then they are either collecting shelf queen models, or they are hooked into the HOBBY - and the hobby involves all this tinkering. If they are buying toys, then they cant expect that much - thats the toy market for you.

Once you are in the world of tinkering and modifying, it doesnt matter what the car was built as, you are expecting to do some work on it, and some cars will need a bit, others a lot, to get them how YOPU like on YOUR intended track, be it home or club. It's great there is so much choice of bodies, detailing, and performance around at the moment

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
Surely this means Ninco are now targeting club racers, by have more powerful motors.

This is no different from Scalextric target home racers and therfore having poor driveability non-mag race wise.

Whats the big deal? Everybody has their market.

That said, I still think it is a shame the NC1 and 2 are now discontinued. A feild of NC1ed cars are just as fun to drive against each other.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I heard about McLaren whining that their NC1 was too fast and he couldnt drive it.

Anyway.. 24 hours of NC1 powered beast-ettes? Sounds like jolly good fun

·
Registered
800 Posts
There are actually motors out there that are too powerful? Did you forget how to use your trigger finger on the controller? It's a variable speed type gizmo that lets you determine how fast your car goes. It isn't just an on off switch.

You learn these things after a while

1 - 20 of 33 Posts