SlotForum banner

Overpowerful motors for home racing

4K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  uksqueezea 
#1 ·
If you click on the link below you will read a very thoughtful and message from a Ninco fan in connection with overpowerful motors for the home user:-

Home Racing World thread about overpowerful motors in Ninco cars

Now I totally agree with the sentiments. It appears that certain manufactures are going all out for the club racer market in a one upmanship competiton and this is to the detriment of home users who quite honestly do not possess the sort of ciruits at home that can accept cars that clearly are powered for something much bigger.

To be fair this can be seen by how popular certain makes are at clubs.

The club market may be massive in Spain but in the USA and the UK it is not (yet). Greater consideration should be made of the home user in these markets who do not require powerful club racing motors.

A lot of folk here knock Scalextric and Carrera and SCX for producing cars that they consider are not competitve at clubs.

I for one would prefer them to continue making cars that are accomodating of the home user and powered appropriately. The combination of higher levels of detail and possibly a lower spec lower cost running gear permit those manufacturers to offer exactly what the home market wants for the sort of money it is prepared to pay. Home racers can see the detail and are able to appreciate it.

The club racer wants low levels of detail and a higher spec running gear becuase ultimately he/she cannot see the car as the distances involved when racing are so much greater so an emphasis on high detail is not required.

So lets aplaude Ninco, Fly and Slot.It for looking after the club racers, and Scalextric, Carrera and SCX for looking after the home racers.

Moped

See less See more
#27 ·
QUOTE (LMP04 @ 2 Oct 2004, 23:01)That said, I still think it is a shame the NC1 and 2 are now discontinued. A feild of NC1ed cars are just as fun to drive against each other.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have heard that Ninco has only discontinued the NC-2 thru NC-4, but the NC-1 will still be available. Unfortunately, we will have to install them ourselves because they are unlikely to make cars with the NC-1 installed, maybe some classics. I like running without mags and the NC-1 makes for some of the closest racing with less crashing. I also like fast motors, though.

With a screen name like "Moped rider", I don't find it too unusual that the original poster doesn't like fast motors, though!?
Now, if his name was R1 rider or MotoGP rider?

#28 ·
Oh god, don't get him started on MotoGP....

I really like the NC2, 3 and 4 for racing and it's a shame to see them go.

Fortunatly, Reprotech or Scaleauto make replacement NC2's, Fly's long racing motor is the equivelent of an NC3 and Fly's shorter Racing motor is like an NC4.

So really, we aren't loosing that much.... If you want to use an NC1, surely rubberband power is the nearest equivelent...

Mclaren

#29 ·
QUOTE (McLaren @ 4 Oct 2004, 16:13)So really, we aren't loosing that much.... If you want to use an NC1, surely rubberband power is the nearest equivelent...

Mclaren
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very funny, McLaren!
I am talking about use on relatively small home tracks, but I can see they would be a bit of a yawn on a big club track. Oh, and congrats on your team being able to use a third car in practice next year!

#31 ·
NC1
QUOTE I can see they would be a bit of a yawn on a big club track.
Of course it depends what you like, but on our big club track, NC1 Nincos produce some of THE most hotly and closely contested racing of the lot.
VERY VERY popular with everyone.
Excellent!

#32 ·
This whole (and long) discussion is so bizarre when one considers the wide availability of variable-voltage power supplies...
We run our TSRF cars at 9 volts at home, 13.6-volt at the commercial racing tracks, 18-volt when we have to run with under-powered, over-voltaged Plafits. In any case, we have no problem to make the cars handle, and rather well at that.
What is the problem again?

#33 ·
You can have TOO much power though.
Take this for instance.

BWA wheels and chassis and revolutionary new super-strong drop arm guide.

Unfortunately now matter how many screws we put in the bodies we've used, they all seem to just plain fly off.

It wont turn corners either, just crashes through the little Scalextric fence and sets fire to the whole room

Bugger!
Got it pretty cheap though. Found it just laying around.. at an Airforce base.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.