SlotForum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm in the process of building my first ever routed track and now that i have both lanes up and running i am nearing purchase of a lap timing system. I recently started thinking along the lines of later moving to a digital setup in years ahead (potentially once slot.it develops its lane changers as have recently been flagged), but for now i will keep it analogue.

Rather than build a light gantry over the start finish, i was wondering if it is possible to instead install the slot.it oxigen system and software on my PC for timing purposes instead - can anyone provide some guidance in this respect.

Also will i need to chip the cars for it to be effective and would i require the oxigen hand controls for it to work.

I recently bought a second difalco control which was quite expensive and hope i can run anologue mode without the slot.it controller for now.

Thanks,

·
Greg Gaub
14,668 Posts
While you can run oXigen cars on an analog track, you cannot use oXigen to control or count laps for analog cars.
Yes, you would need to chip the cars. oXigen lap counting is based on the CAR reading a magnet in the track at the S/F line.
Yes, you would need Slot.it controllers. There is no other way to control oXigen chipped cars, or even if you rigged up a way to "chip the lane" to run analog cars, you would still need the controller to run that chipped lane.
You would not be able to use the oXigen software without the oXigen hardware, which includes the car chip and controller.
All of these things are true with any other system.
The only system I know of that lets you use an analog controller to control cars is the DaVic system, which provides a special interface for each car/lane, but even then you'd still need to chip the cars, AND use their system, which is exceptionally expensive.

In the end, unless you plan to go to digital 100%, you will still need analog control and timing in order to run analog cars.

A long time ago, much earlier in oXigen development, when they planned to make a special S/F line track piece, that would have been able to be an analog lap timer. That idea was dropped in favor of the magnet sending, which simplifies a lot of other things for oXigen functionality, not to mention greatly reducing cost. The result, however, is the elimination of the ability to count/time analog cars.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mr F,

I feared as much having read it was a magnet based system.

So basic elements required would be the software, dongle, chips and controller. I could then retro fit lane changers at a later stage as the need arises.

Thanks,

·
Vendor
2,920 Posts
Hi.
Yes, Chip is correct. In order to make oXigen simpler and more reliable, we dropped the analog LC which required a separate board.
Actually, we DID make and test prototypes of the analog FL (green boards inside the grey box)
but I don't think this is going to happen anytime soon... however, we have not completely dropped the idea either, because it would have the advantage of being wireless.
Let's put it this way: some day we may release a board to do analog FL. But we have no current plans.

Regards
Maurizio

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi
Sorry i am so thick but have asked this question before

I am looking to use a Slot.it controller with a high power cartridge (presumably I would still need to cut the board to eliminate the stutter) working wirelessly at the track from a transmitter in the controller.

I know Mr Flippant has answered this before but I see "FL" mentioned and wonder if this is the part that is required to complete what I need. I am not looking for lap timing but just controlling a slot car wirelessly with a Slot.it controller.

HELP Maurizio please, what will be available?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Maurizio,

Thanks for your response.

I guess with the dongle, car chips and controller with cartridge, I'll be all set to go with the digital lane changers as well once you have them to market.

If anyone believes there is anything else which I have over looked at the moment, feel free to let me know.

Many thanks,

·
Vendor
2,920 Posts
QUOTE (SIGMA 51 @ 14 Sep 2012, 11:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi
Sorry i am so thick but have asked this question before

I am looking to use a Slot.it controller with a high power cartridge (presumably I would still need to cut the board to eliminate the stutter) working wirelessly at the track from a transmitter in the controller.

I know Mr Flippant has answered this before but I see "FL" mentioned and wonder if this is the part that is required to complete what I need. I am not looking for lap timing but just controlling a slot car wirelessly with a Slot.it controller.

HELP Maurizio please, what will be available?

You need the CRI (Cartridge Radio Interface). It is a radio interface for all SCP-1 cartridges: you plug the cartridge in the track, and plug it into the CRI. On the other end of the chain you need a standard SCP controller with O2 cartridge. Compatible with live Timing box as long as you have a trigger signal from the analog cartridge.
Good news is that we are actively at work, we've got a working prototype and we're designing the PCB. We've got some experience built on oXigen by now
so we're proceeding quickly, and it will go in production, it's not going to be a lab guinea pig. Besides, it'll also work as a stand-alone transmitter for up to four FL triggers back to a same cartridge, by radio. In other words, a radio link from your analog FL to you analog lap counter, to get rid of the cables.
Last, we are also working on a piggy back step-up circuit to power the SCP-1 with 3 AAA rechargeable batteries.

·
Vendor
2,920 Posts
QUOTE (90s F1 Kid @ 14 Sep 2012, 13:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Maurizio,

Thanks for your response.

I guess with the dongle, car chips and controller with cartridge, I'll be all set to go with the digital lane changers as well once you have them to market.

If anyone believes there is anything else which I have over looked at the moment, feel free to let me know.

Many thanks,

This is also matter of research - we want to be able to provide a module that can be plugged into routed tracks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts