SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been following the Oxigen project for a long time now. Everything I have read to date makes me more excited than ever to implement the system on my home track. Now that the release date is near, I thought I would ask if some of the features will work as I had hoped. I am currently running Ninco Digital with about 20 cars chipped, but most of my cars are still analog. Every once in a while, I will switch the digital base unit with my analog one and remove the LC pieces just so I can play with my analog cars. I tried to only switch the power base to analog and leave in the LC pieces, but I ruined two LCs doing that. My hope and understanding of how Oxigen can work is:

1. I can use my analog power base and have both transformer bricks plugged in,

2. I can unplug the contollers and make plugs that short the circuits to give full power to each lane,

3. I can convert the LCs to Oxigen and leave them in all the time.

That way I can easily switch back and forth between racing with all of the Oxigen features (I know I will need to add the magnets and other Oxigen components for full feature digital racing), and playing with analog by simply swapping out the controllers/shorted plugs.

Does this sound feasible? Will Oxigen LCs not burn up when left in an analog setup? Will the default Ninco analog transformers be adequate?

btw, I am really looking forward to being able to race in a digital environment and still have full throttle control (as apposed to the limited stepped throttle on the Ninco Digital System).

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
Hi Kevin

From my own experience, 1. and 2. are correct

For .3, the default wiring on the Ninco LC connects all common lanes, so if you leave this unmodified then by going back to analogue mode with the LC in place, you will have one big lane as opposed to 2/4/6 however many you have. It may just be the case that you can remove the common connections and get your seperate lanes back, but you'll have to ensure each lane is then powered independantly when running o2. If you don't, you'll change to a lane with no power!

Hope that makes sense, and also that it is correct

·
Registered
911 Posts
QUOTE I tried to only switch the power base to analog and leave in the LC pieces, but I ruined two LCs doing that.

Which power supply did you use with the NINCO analog power base? My understanding is that this is okay to do this as long as you use the N-Digital power supply with the NINCO analog power base. The NINCO analog power supply is unregulated so it puts out a higher voltage which can damage the N-Digital lane changers. Also, note that some of the lane changers connect both lanes together so you will only be able to run one car at a time unless you modify the N-Digital lane changers to isolate both lanes.

Best regards,
Brian

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I was using the analog power supply when I left the lane change sections in. I will try using the digital power supply with the analog power base. I am not sure if I will bother with separating the lanes for running my analog cars since it is usually only me at that point.

Would it be fair to assume that the regulated Ninco digital power supply plugged into the Ninco anlog power base will be acceptable to run Oxigen (and not damage the O2 lane change circuits).

Thanks again for the information.

Kevin

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
I think that's a fair assumption.

If you are running analogue on your own then as you say, no reason to isolate the lanes when running analogue.

·
Vendor
2,919 Posts
I don't know much about the Ninco wall mounted transformer - In general wall mounted transformer are quite weak. Make sure your power supply can provide at least 1A of current for each car.
Other than this, Ninco LCs can be left in the track during analog racing, provided you remove the shorts across tracks that Ninco have as default. In the Modena club we've embedded lane changers and most racing is analog anyway.
The issue you may have is mechanical - but this is true no matter if you race analog or digital: the way the LC is designed, the plastic lining which creates the slot, between rails, is interrupted right in front of the flipper to make room for the flipper's movement. What we've seen happen is that the pickup can collide head on with the gap - with consequences you may imagine. The workaround, which works very well, is to insert a very thin sheet of brass like in the attached picture.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Other than the power supply providing at least 1A of current for each car, what recommendations can you give me for purchasing a new adjustable power supply? Make, Model, specifications? Also I have never wired a track. Is it possible to use the standard analog power base and connect the new power supply to it, or should I start from scratch? I doubt that I ever run more than eight cars at once, but you never know. I want to make this new Oxigen track the best it can be.

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
Maurizio, we were having this trouble too. Great to see it's an easy fix!

Kevin, for our Le Mans circuit we use 13.8V, 30amps. But that might be a bit overkill for what you want to do. 10amps should be more than enough.

If I were you then I would start from scratch, wire the track in analogue so that you can use whatever the standard plug is for controllers in the US. Then as you say, for o2 its just a matter of fitting the dummy plug to short the positive and signal.

·
Registered
911 Posts
QUOTE I don't know much about the Ninco wall mounted transformer - In general wall mounted transformer are quite weak. Make sure your power supply can provide at least 1A of current for each car.

The N-Digital transformer is regulated. The specs are 3 amps and 14.0 volts DC.

Best regards,
Brian

·
Vendor
2,919 Posts
QUOTE (LMP @ 24 Jan 2012, 15:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Maurizio, we were having this trouble too. Great to see it's an easy fix!

Yes the 'brass sheet' trick fixes the Ninco LC perfectly. We've put them in place a few months ago in the Modena club and never had an issue since.

·
Vendor
2,919 Posts
QUOTE (bswan72 @ 24 Jan 2012, 17:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The N-Digital transformer is regulated. The specs are 3 amps and 14.0 volts DC.

Best regards,
Brian

It should be OK for 3/4 cars with no magnet. You'll probably find that the speed at 14V is too much, but you can reduce top speed to whatever you want with the RMS global settings.

Regards
Maurizio

·
Registered
236 Posts
Can the O2 LC upgrade modules be installed in all four N-Digital LC track sections?

- Straight L-R and R-L?
- Straight XL?
- Curve XL (XLC)?
- Pit lane entrance?

_michael

·
Vendor
2,919 Posts
QUOTE (mfogg @ 25 Jan 2012, 15:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Can the O2 LC upgrade modules be installed in all four N-Digital LC track sections?

- Straight L-R and R-L?
- Straight XL?
- Curve XL (XLC)?
- Pit lane entrance?

_michael

- Straight L-R and R-L?
Yes
- Straight XL?
Yes
- Pit lane entrance?
Yes
- Curve XL (XLC)?
We haven't tried this one. I'd be surprised if it posed any problems though. If you have one and can send me a picture of the part with the lid removed, I'll be more precise.
Or, as soon as we get one, we'll let you know.

Regards

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. I will try to find a picture. Also, I should have asked: is one O2 LC module required per LC track section, or one module per LC mechanism? In other words, are two O2 LC modules required for a N-Digital XL LC track secion? Sorry if this was covered elsewhere.

_michael

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am trying to grasp the concept.

Would it be fair to say that one can build an alternative to ndigital using analog track and all digital pitlanes and lanechange sections?

Questions:

1. One would not need the ndigital conversion set anymore and thus can save substantialy?
2. Can one run 4-6-8 lane oxygen? What is the maximum amount of lanes?
3. Does one plug in the controllers to the powerbase?
4. How does the wireless function then work?
5. Can one use the ninco digital control tower still?
6. List all stuff one needs to build a oxygen set using ninco track.

To start:

Ninco sells a powerbase that powers two lanes seperate. , 10401

http://www.nincoshop.de/ninco-10401-anschl...ng-neu-ovp.html

One can use the special powerbases to power the lanes that have ample power for EACH lane:

http://www.hotslots132.com/132-ninco-analo...12-p-11192.html

What about the other langechanges, please state amount of chips it needs. and how it works and if any modification is needed to the trackpiece.

1. 10111

x lane change (I think this is a "passive" lane change, and can be used with analog, correct? Can one also still put this in digital and oxygen?)

2. 40207

Double lane change section

3. 40201

Two single lane change section

4. 40208

Curve lane change

5. 40203

Pitlane

I am just trying to comprehend how to build a system like oxygen using ninco track and while doing so make it informative for the rest of us.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Last question. What are the benifits of doing this conversion with ninco track compared to ninco digital. (they now also have wireless controllers I believe.) Is it more cars or more lanes?

·
Vendor
2,919 Posts
Hi.

whether a system is better than another depends really on many factors, and it's better to let user's comments give you the information you need.

In any case:
"Would it be fair to say that one can build an alternative to ndigital using analog track and all digital pitlanes and lanechange sections?"
Yes. If you have an analog Ninco track, you can convert it to oXigen digital and keep compatibility with analog circuit. Add LC sections, according to our instructions. Ninco's LC remain straight in analog mode so you can still use the analog track in analog mode. Then build a simple jack that must be plugged in the powerbase so that each lane gets full voltage from the power supply. Plug it in, and the track is ready to go in digital mode (PUT A FUSE - so you're protected against leaving a screwdriver across rails, for example. Remember you alway have full power on rails in digital mode). Then popwe on the controllers, put the cars on the track, and off you go. Tired of digital - remove the plugs, and put your controllers in. As simple as that. You need some magnets to do the finish line.

For LC installation, please refer to the O2 manuals

Regards
Maurizio

1 - 20 of 46 Posts