SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been following the Oxigen project for a long time now. Everything I have read to date makes me more excited than ever to implement the system on my home track. Now that the release date is near, I thought I would ask if some of the features will work as I had hoped. I am currently running Ninco Digital with about 20 cars chipped, but most of my cars are still analog. Every once in a while, I will switch the digital base unit with my analog one and remove the LC pieces just so I can play with my analog cars. I tried to only switch the power base to analog and leave in the LC pieces, but I ruined two LCs doing that. My hope and understanding of how Oxigen can work is:

1. I can use my analog power base and have both transformer bricks plugged in,

2. I can unplug the contollers and make plugs that short the circuits to give full power to each lane,

3. I can convert the LCs to Oxigen and leave them in all the time.

That way I can easily switch back and forth between racing with all of the Oxigen features (I know I will need to add the magnets and other Oxigen components for full feature digital racing), and playing with analog by simply swapping out the controllers/shorted plugs.

Does this sound feasible? Will Oxigen LCs not burn up when left in an analog setup? Will the default Ninco analog transformers be adequate?

btw, I am really looking forward to being able to race in a digital environment and still have full throttle control (as apposed to the limited stepped throttle on the Ninco Digital System).

Thanks,
Kevin

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I was using the analog power supply when I left the lane change sections in. I will try using the digital power supply with the analog power base. I am not sure if I will bother with separating the lanes for running my analog cars since it is usually only me at that point.

Would it be fair to assume that the regulated Ninco digital power supply plugged into the Ninco anlog power base will be acceptable to run Oxigen (and not damage the O2 lane change circuits).

Thanks again for the information.

Kevin

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Other than the power supply providing at least 1A of current for each car, what recommendations can you give me for purchasing a new adjustable power supply? Make, Model, specifications? Also I have never wired a track. Is it possible to use the standard analog power base and connect the new power supply to it, or should I start from scratch? I doubt that I ever run more than eight cars at once, but you never know. I want to make this new Oxigen track the best it can be.

Thanks,
Kevin

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
In post #20, Maurzio talks about the setup for switching between Oxigen and Ninco analog:

"If you have an analog Ninco track, you can convert it to oXigen digital and keep compatibility with analog circuit. Add LC sections, according to our instructions. Ninco's LC remain straight in analog mode so you can still use the analog track in analog mode. Then build a simple jack that must be plugged in the powerbase so that each lane gets full voltage from the power supply. Plug it in, and the track is ready to go in digital mode (PUT A FUSE - so you're protected against leaving a screwdriver across rails, for example. Remember you alway have full power on rails in digital mode). Then popwe on the controllers, put the cars on the track, and off you go. Tired of digital - remove the plugs, and put your controllers in. As simple as that. You need some magnets to do the finish line."

I am in the process of doing exactly this setup, but I would like more information about building the simple jack that shorts the powerbase to give full power to the rails. My Ninco powerbase is the one with the 1/4" jacks and separate power plugs. I can go to Radio Shack and get the jacks; and I already purchased the in-line fuse boxes and 5 amp fuses.

Which connections need to be shorted and are there any tips on making this relatively clean looking? I thought I saw another thread where someone had pictures of just such a modified jack, but I can't seem to find it again.

I just started testing the car, chip, and SCP. I have been getting full power to the rails by using a rubber band to hold the trigger down on an analog controller.

I know this is basis information, but I get nervous when it comes to wiring.

Thanks,
Kevin

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Mr. Human,

I have finally got my Ninco track setup the way I wanted, and it works great. I use an aftermarket variable power supply similar to the one you have available, and I use the "double power" base track (10401). I originally used the standard analog power base track, and it worked fine also. I have two leads coming from the power supply that plug into the double power base. I have figured out how to make a jack plug with an inline fuse that shorts the lane so the track has full power all the time. The only other thing that I have done is use two "2x power track booster cables" (10314) to get even power all the way around the track. This cured my initial problem of the Lane Change sections not getting enough power to stay open long enough for the cars to change lanes. My track is fairly long and I probably need to clean each track section's contact points, but the booster cables work fine for now.

This setup is great because most of my cars are still analog, and I can easily change from O2 back to analog simply by replacing the shorted jack plugs with a normal analog controller. I also use PC Lap Counter for race management and it works great also. I currently have ten Slot-It cars chipped and we have great digital races with six cars at a time. We then switch to analog and race our old cars in a match race setup.

I will take some pictures and post them here in a day or two. Hopefully this will give you a better idea of how I have my track setup.

Kevin

p.s. Maurizio, how long until we can purchase the SCP01h with the O2 cartridge already installed? Also, the "double power" track base allows each lane to switch directions; would running backwards in analog mode harm the LC electronics?

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Peter,

Sorry I have not posted any pictures yet. I had some trouble adding them to a post. I will keep trying.

Anyone: Do I have to be a paid subscriber to post pictures? It looks like upgrading to a paid subscription is currently out of order.

Kevin

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
For what it's worth, here is a link to some pictures of my track setup. This arrangement works well for my needs. I can easily switch from O2 to analog by simply pulling the jumper plug and inserting an analog controller. I also recently added a PS3 webcam interfaced with PC Lap Counter so I can count laps and have pit stops for analog racing.

Kevin's Track Setup

Kevin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.