SlotForum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having tried oxygen on a small track for about a month some thoughts have pushed their way to the fingertips.

1. If you want to keep pit entry and finish line seperate you will effectively get two finish lines. Now couldn't the system be changed so that you could configure if or if not the pitlane entry should count as finish line (you can always add a lap/event when leaving pit). In my layout i have pit entry and Finish line seperate and this messes fastest lap time up quite a bit.

2. Why not make it posible to configure the functions of the buttons of the scp01? This could be used to enable track calls from the controller - a function i really miss in the o2/pclapcounter setup. I know it is possible by using other hardware but i dont see why it could not be done from the controller - plenty of buttons / combinations to choose from.

3. Could the oxigen protocols be developed to also cater for wireless starting lights, lapboards etc.?

4. The bootloader part i think is the weakest link of the system and small improvements like only having one firmware version for dongles (which should do the work of the existing ones) would help. I have spend far more time on that than expected and i still have two car chips which simply wont upgrade to 202.

5. The battery / wire solution of the o2 dongle is odd. I have drilled a hole for wires on the back of the scp01, rewired and put a rubberband around to hold the battery. Then everything is in your hand and not in your pocket. But i would have expected some batterypack i could attach where the telemetry frame is or the like.

Lastly i really like the concept and I picked it because it had a strong scent of innovation and first mover over it. The system is very flexible, responsive and very fast to connect at startup. It is nice to be able to move the pc around without having to account for several usb cables. It is just as nice to be able to move around myself with no strings attached

Thanks
Jonas

·
Registered
46 Posts
In regards to the pit lane I have the exit just past the start finish line and have no problem.My entry is approx 2 meters before the start finish line.

·
Vendor
2,920 Posts
Hi
1 - I am not sure I understand. I suggest to build your pitlane so that it runs alongside the main straight - at least until the finish line - pit lane entry detection line.
2 - Reprogramming the controller buttons would mean a lot of work. Actually, you need up/down buttons anyway, so only the round button could be used. So in other words - round button for track call is what would be needed?
3 - the protocol itself can do it already. It's 'only' a matter of making the hardware
. Latest free Crono RMS can drive Phidget relay for starting lights though.
4 - agreed, and we're working on it, so that there will only be a unified and improved dongle sw. If you have parts that don't upgrade just return them and we'll do that for you.
5 - Right. We had made an earlier version but was not as good as we wanted. Now we are working on a new design, much lighter, that will work on 3 rechargeable AA batteries. It is not imminent though as we have many things to do.

Regards
Maurizio

·
Registered
142 Posts
QUOTE (Slot.it @ 11 Jun 2012, 10:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>2 - Reprogramming the controller buttons would mean a lot of work. Actually, you need up/down buttons anyway, so only the round button could be used. So in other words - round button for track call is what would be needed?

Hi Maurizio, i don't think it's "Reprogramming the controller buttons" , the demand is to add the status of the up/down and round buttons in the dongle/pc protocol (rx protocol) so RMS developper can play with it and for example generate a track call when a driver press the UP and ROUND button in the sametime.

Regards.
Guy

·
Vendor
2,920 Posts
OK understood - will let you know

We're also checking what's going on with Win7/x64 . The problem is that we can't find any problems on our PCs, so we are trying to recompile RMS with a newer version of Labview as it may have better support for such OS

Regards
Maurizio

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kudos for fast responses

Re 1) hmm i may be doing something wrong because i have it as miminut details but pclapcounter counts laptimes from fl to pit entry and not pit exit. I will try again when i get home to verify if i am wrong
Re 2) thanks guy for putting that in writing
Re 3) i had hoped for a "and you can make the hardware easily by looking here"

Re 4) got it thanks
Re 5) i'll keep my rubberband controller for now. My first impressions is that the controller is quite power hungry. Have you got any plans to lower power consumption or is the best to do to get some highend batteries?

Good stuff!
Jonas

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Here you go, I hope you find my project inspiring and help full

Im running 3 AAA, it is all internally wired.

the next evolution it going to be to device a way connect the controller to a drivers base also.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice - looks exactly like mine (cant work out how to post a picture)! Except i have a rubberband to fix it. Have you glued the batterypack to the controller?

Re 1) I ran 100 laps and with PClapcounter the pit entry sometimes is set as the lap time but most times it is not. It counts the lap but the lap time seems like it is added a few seconds. Guy if you read this - can you detail how pclapcounter records the lap time when entering pit (I will post on your forum as well)?

With Chrono it records pit entry as the finish line so I get lower fastest lap time than I should because of my layout.

So yes I guess I could change my layout and either move the pit entry or move fl to pit entry. And it is not a big problem - it would just be nice to have the option when the track is sort of fixed with scenery.

Thanks
Jonas

·
Registered
142 Posts
QUOTE (kingkong @ 11 Jun 2012, 16:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Re 1) hmm i may be doing something wrong because i have it as miminut details but pclapcounter counts laptimes from fl to pit entry and not pit exit. I will try again when i get home to verify if i am wrong
Yes you are right, Pc lap Counter counts laptime to pit entry and that's normal because as you know pit entry is detected by 2 magnets with a distance of 5 to 10cm (in the O2 manual the first magnet is F3 and the second is P1) , when the F3 magnet is triggered then O2 count a lap and when the P1 magnet is triggered within 320ms after the F3 magnet then O2 send the "Pit in" signal to the RMS.
So in summary if the F3 magnet is not at the same level as S/F magnet then you have wrong lap time, i have to check if i can modify Pc lap Counter to work with your pit lane layout, i will let you know...

·
Vendor
2,920 Posts
2) currently, the state of buttons is not transmitted to the dongle. Hence, track call cannot be initiated by pressing buttons. We'll look into that.

3) it would be a large scale project anyway, both sw and hw. Currently these details are not publicly available.

4) I expect some improvement with the recomplied sw - see my other post
http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=716401

5) The controller is not a power miser but not a powerholic either

I suggest reading this post:
http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=710555
We will improve power usage somehow, even though not by a huge margin, and we're working on a piggyback power pack with 3 rechargeable batteries which should give 20 hours of autonomy (continuous usage). But it will take time...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2) Really looking forward to this and I think this would bridge a gap for us who just race for fun. Make the system more appealing.

3) it was a long shot but nevertheless cool if it could be done easily.

4) good stuff!

5) i'll stick my 9v for now and monitor the development

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
Ok here's an idea for Oxigen (hardware) Upgrade set for LC adaptors: LC sensors on extended leads.

Hello Maurizio

How about a similar feature like the separate I.R. led on extended leads for the new type B chip?
Is it possible to have the I.R Sensor for the LC on extended leads as well ?

There are several situations were you might want to do this.

1 In case of LC's placed right after a corner, where cars are still drifting sideways, placing the sensor before the corner would make sense
2 In case of double length LC's,and or long routed LC's, meaning LC's that can be taken at full speed, it might be better to have a bigger distance between the sensor and the actual LC flipper creting a sufficient window for the Flipper to flip.
3 Same as above but then with bigger and faster cars, like 1/24 who's cornering and top speed lay above regular 1/32nd cars (although magna cars might be worse)

You might need some further adaptions to be able to regulate some sort of delay in reaction between the time the sensor is passed and the flipper is activated.
There might be room enough for an other car between the LC flipper and the sensor so a kind of fail save might be needed, maybe a hall sensor on the place of the "original" LC sensor?

I'm not an engineer, but could this be done?

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
QUOTE (Slot.it @ 20 Dec 2012, 16:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Tamar, the IR is already on a separate board, so it can be already done.

Ok that's good to hear, have not had the oppertunity to look underneath a Ninco/Oxigen adated LC.

Ok Mauriziio, so how about the time window in between the sensor being activated and the flipper acuteted.
Is this adjustable or is it fixed?
What is the time window?

·
Vendor
2,920 Posts
It is only adjustable depending on the Ninco or Carrera setup - I don't remember the timing off my head, but I've posted it elsewhere

1 - 19 of 19 Posts