SlotForum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
I'm partially done with a scenic routed digital track, and I was planning on doing it with SSD. This was partly because I know SSD and partly because oXigen didn't seem to be available. However, apparently, oXigen is now available in my area. I haven't put in the digital components yet (though I've purchased the SSD XLCs), so using oXigen has become an option. I'm familiar with SSD from previous tracks I've had, but I really like Slot.it cars and would be interested in the oXigen system if it were (1) easy to use and (2) more reliable. I'd love some advice from people who have experience with both systems.

Here's the plan of my track...

And here's the current state of the build...

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
it is easy to use, you have more control when you drive (more steps). And its wireless !!!

I haven't had any problems with reliability in over 5 months.

Its not cheap, but I think its worth it. Make sure you get dongle so you can count laps and such.

·
Registered
326 Posts
First of all, I have to say that I dont have hands on experienc with Oxigen. My order is in the mail and will arrive in a few days. Sadly enough it´s a birthday present from the little Miss, so I will have to wait a month to actually get at it. Oh, the agony of waiting...

But I´ll add what I know and what I have hard from people I know that do use it.

Track build wise you dont really have to make a decision since Oxigen and SSD is using the same type of lane changers. My suggestion is that if you have already invested in Scalextric Lane Changers, digital PowerBase and throttles, then just go on with the build as you planned. You can always make the decision to switch over to Oxigen on a later date. Two suggestions there...

1 - I see the "Pit" area, but I don´t see any track for pit-stop for the cars on your layout, and that will make it hard for you to run digital races that simulates fuel and pit-stops.

2 - Don´t know if you plan to route the plastic track into the Wood or disect the XLC and use the parts. But you can also use Slot.It´s own Lane Changer driver kits and simply add your own solenoids and flippers. Might open up more possibilities to route and design your own lane change layouts on the track instead of being stuck with Scalextric´s XLC design.

And my input on your questions.

1 - Easy to use

It´s the same SCP1 kontroller you would use on a SSD track, analog track or a Ninco track. Just with a wireless cartridge that "speaks" to Oxigen chipped cars.
It´s not harder to use or easier to use then the SCP1 for SSD or analog.
The SCP1 is of course a wicked and great controller all together.

Some racing software already have Oxigen support in it as well as SSD, so... Unless you pick Slot.IT´s free software it´s the same for SSD and Oxigen.
So it´s not harder to use or easier to use then SSD in that sense either.
I doubt Oxigen´s own software is harder to use then the common ones on the market but maybe a third-party RMS (non mentioned, non forgotten) has more features.

The car-chip.
Basically the same when it comes to "ease of use".
It says Slot.IT on it, it´s wireless and you have to add a hall-effect sensor to the car on the side.
Otherwise it´s basically as easy or hard to use as SSD chip.
Slot.IT cars will of course most likely more easilly fit Slot.IT chips, be it SSD compatible or Oxigen chips just as Scalextric SSD chips fits more easilly into a Scalextric car.
One advantage I guess is the ease of upgrading the software in them maybe, compared to Scalextric at least where you are stuck with the software in the chip as delivered, unless you go totally rogue.

Magnets on the track for time keeping instead of... oh, what does Scaley use for start/finish? Guide triggers maybe.
You slap some magnets under the track for start/finish line and pit-in/pit-out and the added hall effect sensor picks it up and the car signals the dongle that it´s passed them.

2 - Reliability

I can´t say I have ever experienced any problems with Scalextric Advanced Powerbase 6 and SSD, so I can´t imagine Oxigen being more "reliable". I run my APB6 in both digital and analog mode and have never had any issues what so ever. Have I had issues with the software I´ve run, sure... Tried several racing softwares (will not name any names not to upset anyone forgotten or mentioned) and I am sure they all have their bugs or problems, might it be SSD, Oxigen or any other system.

I personally expect a few bugs and glitches with the chips, dongle for the PC and so on due to the products being a bit new and new features being added all the time. But... I rather have a digital system that is being progressed and running into a few bugs now and then, then being stuck with Hornby´s stale firmware for the APB6 that they dont even maintain themselfs since version 0.85 (was it?) and that in that point could not even count laptimes correctly (thankfully, someone else is making updates).

3 - My own Point, bit of this and that.

Is it wireless. Sure.

Cars communicate wirelessly with the PC through a USB dongle.

The throttle communicate with the PC through the USB dongle (I think there is no direct car -> throttle Communication).

But that´s more a question of ease of firmware upgrades, the number of cars you can run simultaneously (20 instead of 6) on the track (since the SSD signals through the rails do not offer the same bandwidth and response times), and two-way communication between the car and the PC offers the possibility to add more features in the racing software in the future compared to SSD. Less about "wireless driving".

If you are looking for a great wireless racing solution, I dont think Slot.IT has quite yet made it. The SCP1 was designed long before Oxigen and it still requires the controller to be plugged into an external powersource such as a battery pack. And if you read about wireless throttles that are starting to pop up on the forum, I think you will see that they do not count battery life in hours as Slot.It does with the SCP1 and the Oxigen cartridge, but maybe days.

So wireless on the track. Maybe semi-wireless, good enough solution for the driver and I am sure Slot.IT and other brands will come up with new low-powered designs for Oxigen throttles in the future also.

I´m not gonna put my life on it, but my opinion is that the price for a Scalextric APB6, USB-Cable, PC-software and car-chips are ALMOST almost the same price as buying a simple variable power supply, the USB-dongle and settle with Oxigens own RMS software.

The huge difference is the throttles. If you are planning to go Oxigen all the way, you need to invest in SCP1 throttles with the Oxigen cartridge all the way. And since a SCP1 controller is way more expensive then any Scalextric throttle, with Oxigen, SSD or for that matter Analog cartridge, it can not be compared. But then again, neither can the quality and functions of the throttles.

The car chips might be a tad bit more expensive (here it differs maybe 8-10 euro´s).

So to sum it up. Does Oxigen give you something you feel you need more then Scalextric? More then 6 cars on the track? Are you planning to buy new throttles with the same quality, features and in the same price range as the SCP1? Then sure, why not go Oxigen while you are at it.

Otherwise... you can always go SSD, wait a bit and hook up Oxigen later.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
QUOTE (mINdAt3z @ 16 Aug 2012, 14:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>... The car-chip.
Basically the same when it comes to "ease of use".
It says Slot.IT on it, it´s wireless and you have to add a hall-effect sensor to the car on the side.
Otherwise it´s basically as easy or hard to use as SSD chip.
Slot.IT cars will of course most likely more easilly fit Slot.IT chips, be it SSD compatible or Oxigen chips just as Scalextric SSD chips fits more easilly into a Scalextric car.
One advantage I guess is the ease of upgrading the software in them maybe, compared to Scalextric at least where you are stuck with the software in the chip as delivered, unless you go totally rogue.

Magnets on the track for time keeping instead of... oh, what does Scaley use for start/finish? Guide triggers maybe.
You slap some magnets under the track for start/finish line and pit-in/pit-out and the added hall effect sensor picks it up and the car signals the dongle that it´s passed them.

2 - Reliability

I can´t say I have ever experienced any problems with Scalextric Advanced Powerbase 6 and SSD, so I can´t imagine Oxigen being more "reliable". I run my APB6 in both digital and analog mode and have never had any issues what so ever. Have I had issues with the software I´ve run, sure... Tried several racing softwares (will not name any names not to upset anyone forgotten or mentioned) and I am sure they all have their bugs or problems, might it be SSD, Oxigen or any other system.

I personally expect a few bugs and glitches with the chips, dongle for the PC and so on due to the products being a bit new and new features being added all the time. But... I rather have a digital system that is being progressed and running into a few bugs now and then, then being stuck with Hornby´s stale firmware for the APB6 that they dont even maintain themselfs since version 0.85 (was it?) and that in that point could not even count laptimes correctly (thankfully, someone else is making updates).

3 - My own Point, bit of this and that.

Is it wireless. Sure.

Cars communicate wirelessly with the PC through a USB dongle.

The throttle communicate with the PC through the USB dongle (I think there is no direct car -> throttle Communication).

But that´s more a question of ease of firmware upgrades, the number of cars you can run simultaneously (20 instead of 6) on the track (since the SSD signals through the rails do not offer the same bandwidth and response times), and two-way communication between the car and the PC offers the possibility to add more features in the racing software in the future compared to SSD. Less about "wireless driving".

If you are looking for a great wireless racing solution, I dont think Slot.IT has quite yet made it. The SCP1 was designed long before Oxigen and it still requires the controller to be plugged into an external powersource such as a battery pack. And if you read about wireless throttles that are starting to pop up on the forum, I think you will see that they do not count battery life in hours as Slot.It does with the SCP1 and the Oxigen cartridge, but maybe days.

So wireless on the track. Maybe semi-wireless, good enough solution for the driver and I am sure Slot.IT and other brands will come up with new low-powered designs for Oxigen throttles in the future also.

I´m not gonna put my life on it, but my opinion is that the price for a Scalextric APB6, USB-Cable, PC-software and car-chips are ALMOST almost the same price as buying a simple variable power supply, the USB-dongle and settle with Oxigens own RMS software.

The huge difference is the throttles. If you are planning to go Oxigen all the way, you need to invest in SCP1 throttles with the Oxigen cartridge all the way. And since a SCP1 controller is way more expensive then any Scalextric throttle, with Oxigen, SSD or for that matter Analog cartridge, it can not be compared. But then again, neither can the quality and functions of the throttles.

The car chips might be a tad bit more expensive (here it differs maybe 8-10 euro´s).

So to sum it up. Does Oxigen give you something you feel you need more then Scalextric? More then 6 cars on the track? Are you planning to buy new throttles with the same quality, features and in the same price range as the SCP1? Then sure, why not go Oxigen while you are at it.

Otherwise... you can always go SSD, wait a bit and hook up Oxigen later.

Another advantage is motor. You can run "any" motor. You are no longer limited to the orange can. I have run NSR motors and scaleauto and avantslot which previously have burned SSD chips.
BTW, you do not need a dongle to use O2. The controller speaks to the chip without the need of a computer.

·
Registered
326 Posts
QUOTE (Profoxcg @ 16 Aug 2012, 19:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Another advantage is motor. You can run "any" motor. You are no longer limited to the orange can. I have run NSR motors and scaleauto and avantslot which previously have burned SSD chips.
BTW, you do not need a dongle to use O2. The controller speaks to the chip without the need of a computer.

Glad to hear it. Then one can do some spontaneous racing.

The problem with Scalextric SSD chips burning up is another huge can of worms if you ask me. Hardware hacks or using a different manufacturer´s SSD chips can solve that.
But I agree, it´s a great pro for Oxigen also on the "reliable" side.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Oxigen is an entire new platform. Sometime I don't even turn on the PC when I drive which is nice. Turn on the power to the track, put car on track, turn on controller (mine are running off of batteries).
I found it annoying having to remotor cars. It was an additional expense and I did not find the workaround too elegant. So I am happy.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I agree. If I was starting fresh and know what I know today and have the demands I have today, I would never pick Scalextric over Oxigen or Scorpius, just as I would never pick Scalextric cars over Slot.IT, NSR, Avant or... add some other favorite brands here, or a Scalextric (insert ANY) throttle over any popular enthusiast brand.

But I am after the features of it, not so much added reliability and ease of use.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I started racing last summer when my kid got a scaley set for his birthday. It pretty quickly grew to be the full scaley, 7042, pit pro thing in the hands of his father
. Then in the spring this year when I was researching wireless controllers and incar pro chips I stumbled on oxigen. Even though there are/were several wireless options I changed the whole thing to oxigen / ninco for these reasons:

controllers which are neat and you really get used to changing the breakes / acceleration. Setting childmode directly on the controller is another big plus
cars which are much nicer than scaley (i dont have other brands than these two)
Flexibility in the system (no fixed start/finish, no clunky 7042, no scaley power supplies, no wires between computer and track)
The option of just racing like analog without any computer (as profocg i use this alot)
Selective lanechanging (although thats for ninco / carrera only so far)
Support (i would like to have a system from one company which guarantees functionality)

For me it the conclusion is clear, its more expensive but it is worth it. And as i race casual (but with money on table) with my friends I can witness that it has quite a lot of wow effect.

The drawbacks are:
The firmware upgrade procedure has caused me some pain. It has been improved a lot but especially the cars can be tricky i think.
In my opinion it would be nice to be able to change the chip easier however this clashes with the club mode the system was designed for. I am a casual racer and I think the system is a little too much designed for clubs. More emphasis could be done on developing new game modes (not that this is a real drawback because scalextric is worse imho).
Availability - not many shops have alot in stock. So if you need alot it needs to be send from italy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts