SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one happen to know the hunbrol/tamiya paint ref for the Ford 3L GT.

I have seen various photos from Ferrari Red through to bright Orange and between.

Come to think of it is there a web site which helps with accurate colours for model paint?

This is the type of thing:

Thanks

Gareth

·
Registered
759 Posts
I don't remember what mix I made exactly, but I used red (#19) with a bit of yellow (#69) to make it slightly brighter. Oh, and that was Humbrol by the way. Best of luck! Looking forward to seeing the progress!

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Gareth

Humbrol 19 is the gloss red closest to the Ford colour. I sprayed my car with Halfords Volkswagen Mars Red. I don't use that many Tamiya colours so I can't give you any of their reference numbers. Hope this helps.

David

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help guys.

Too many kits so little time, thought i would give this a bash first as it looks pretty straight forward.

The airfix kit doesn't have the little winglets on the front (easy enough to make and add) just wondered if there are several versions of the this car and Airfix modeled a different one or where just being cheap?

Gareth

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I think there were only three P68 made. One crashed and was written off at the Nurburbring. As far as I know the only modifications to the P68 was the extension of the bottom front air intake into a lip/spoiler. The other modification was the addition of a wing in the brands hatch race in 1969. The third car was rebuilt as the P69 with two linked wings and a roadster body. The cars as they are now (2004) have had modifications in the form of carnards and re-enforced rear spoilers. I am pretty sure it did not raced with winglets back in 1968/69 thats why they are not in the airfix kit!
Regards Allan

·
Registered
759 Posts
hehe, a quick bash...
I've thought that several times building kits, but they just seem take more and more time
. I guess I'm getting pickier with time, but there are several people that has made the F3L kit look great without any modifications. Look here if you want some inspiration: P68 thread (295 replies and 9070 views...)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Just read all twenty pages of the P68 old thread. Must congratulate everyone for their skill and ingenuity at building the P68 (Airfix). I built a bog standard one (MRRC) years ago. But I must mention the one I bought in a collection which is powered by a 'K's motor. If I can find away I'II post a picture.
Regards Allan

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
I used the same as David on mine VW mars red, if you want something a little redder, then Audi laser red is a good one to use.

I picked up this interesting resin P68 from Jeff Spencer at Worthing last week, he says he bought it from Shaun a few years ago, don't know who made it though.

As you can see it is nearer to 1/32 than the Airfix car which is a little undersized. It is also the later car with winglets etc, all in all a very nice moulding.

·
Jim Moyes
5,068 Posts
QUOTE (philsmith @ 10 Dec 2004, 10:08)I picked up this interesting resin P68 from Jeff Spencer at Worthing last week, he says he bought it from Shaun a few years ago, don't know who made it though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's quite funny, actually Geoff has been waiting to see his name on here for quite a while and you used the alternate spelling.

He picked it up at Bishops Stortford 2003 and Sean did say who built it in another thread about that event.

It sits really low on the track, too!

Mr.M

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
Found it

QUOTE Nice to hear the Ford 3L went to a good home its one of Ted Martins conversions. (i doubt if you'll be able to make it sit any lower!)

And now looking at it again I can see it has Ted Martin written all over it, but who made the body in the first place?

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the help on the paint info.

Now painted (second coat went on yesterday) tonight the chassis, looks a bit tight inside, but i have hacked the Pendle chassis to fit.

Wheels - was thinking of using some Hornby GT40 wheels and adding the spinners from the kit?

Decals - i bought one of Pattos decal sheets for this car, could really do with some form of ref photos, any one got any idea where to find some.

Thanks

I'll pop some pics up of my first try on Wed.

Gareth

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Wheels - was thinking of using some Hornby GT40 wheels and adding the spinners from the kit?

The only problem with the Hornby wheels is that they are 6 spoke and not accurate at that!!!
Ford 3L ran on 5 spoke.
Regards Allan

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Allan

I have now read the 20 odd page 3L thread and most people seem to use Fly wheels/tyres - not being a massive Fly man do you know from which car these are taken from?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.