SlotForum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
This may seem like a strange thread title, but bear with me, if you would....

It was with huge disappointment that I learned that I was not allowed to put my two big plastic boxes filled with cans of spray paint into the container that carried all my worldly goods from Anglesey to Malta. Dangerous, said the packing foreman. Yeah, right, I'm sure they would explode and sink the boat (not).

At least leaving them with Malcolm at the Wolverhampton Slot Club headquarters meant that hopefully, they would find good homes.

However, this leaves me up the creek without a, well, a spray can. There are no Halfords on Malta, nor indeed, as far as I can tell, nothing that even vaguely resembles Halfords. So I am wondering, if it is permissable to send spray cans through the post. Even surface mail - but then that's boats again and I was told that boats and spray cans do not go well together.

If I cannot obtain some new cans of certain colours, I don't know what I'm going to do. I can't afford to move back to the U.K; not indeed, will I ever want to.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Barry,
who cares? it's a stupid rule and therefore needs a middle finger response. I couldn't get Floquil through the post from Victor's of London, so I asked my friend in Florida and he got them for me for a fraction of the price then send them to me. No problem. As long as you can buy black powder in the post I will maintain that attitude.
If you can find a way to pay, I'll get what you need and send them to you. The Hell with their petty rules!

Martin

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Of course there's always the option of buying an airbrush. Potted paints and post aren't a problem it's only the pressurised aerosol can that falls under 'dangerous goodes.'

Embs

·
Registered
194 Posts
it may be worth-while checking with your postal service if they have an alternate method here in OZ. I can get spray sent via road through oz-post. at slightly more cost but that may not apply in pommy-land

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Ey Up,

Aren't a lot of modellers' spray paints made by Tamiya, and therefore shipped from Japan to the UK ??.

Are they considered safe because they are within a steel container ?.

At what reducing level of containment do aerosol paint cans suddenly become dangerous ?.

vbr Chris A.

ps: Never forget that walnuts are a class 1 explosive hazard !.

·
Gerald Lambourn
1,006 Posts
Dusts such as flour are notorious explosive hazards, ground walnut shells used for cleaning could be as well. Best solution sounds like a trip to Sicily, also there are classic car meets in Malta, so talk to those guys. Like many others I find that car paint gives a much harder finish than acrylics so its worth tracking down a supply source. All the best in your new home. Gerald

·
Registered
229 Posts
Probably if you had posted all your gear over to Malta in an anonymous parcel you would be spray painting by now. I've ordered spray paints from the UK to Belgium without a problem so I don't see any point why you can't. I remember having a screwdriver in my car, coming over from the UK to Belgium just after 9/11, and customs was treating it as a bomb that would go of in there face, just as I was going to dismantle the ship while crossing over.

·
Mike Newns
629 Posts
The potential problem with aerosols is air frieght which, as the containers are unpressurised, carries a higher than normal risk of explosion. There should not be an apprecialbe risk of explosion with surface mail; although the package should be clearerly marked with any risks.

This is not difficult stuff and compared with some customs regulations is relativly simple. That is not to say that all retaialers or shippers can be bothered to get it right. Some retailers and shippers may simply refuse to send aeosols oversees and others just send them regardless of regulations.

If your sending from the UK the Post Office should be able to sort it out for you very quickly.

Mike

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
QUOTE who cares? it's a stupid rule and therefore needs a middle finger response

Ahhhh, what a selfish world we live in

You'll find that most public mail in the 21st Century goes by air - even some 'surface' mail - and if you pit pressurised containers in airplanes there is a risk of explosion. It's kind of obvious. And even if you can get cousin Jimmy to mail a bundle to you from Biddlyboing Idahowa just make sure the postal service knows what's inside the parcel before he hands it over the counter.

·
Registered
173 Posts
For my twopenneth...

I shipped my stuff from UK to NZ and the shipping company (who were pants!) wouldn't let me send my paints in our container. They said they would send them in somebody else's ( something to do with insurance) but that would cost more. I bagged them up into two jiffy bags and posted them via Royal Mail with a full description.

One arrived safely five days later, the other came via surface mail three months later. Go figure. They were all acrylics as pressurised cans are not allowed as others have said.

Airbrush would be my advice, although you can buy a type of rattle can that you fill and pressurise yourself...

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the comments, Gents. I must be honest and say that I think the dangers of putting my cans in the container would have been less than minimal, but there we are, rules is rules.

If I ever get my hands on a Yellow Pages over here I will certainly go in search of a supplier. It's a very small island and I'm sure I can find something somewhere. Then again, how would they get them here if these restrictions are in place.

I wasn't supposed to put my moulding rubber or my two part resin bottles in, either, but I did, packing them in plastic crates and surrounding them with other stuff. Then again, they aren't pressurised.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My troubles, it appears, are over.

I have found a company here in Malta who will mix whatever I need. I am so happy I could crush a grape!

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Excellent Barry

I'm guessing you've retired now so look forward to seeing more of your fabulous creations

Simon

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just to round off this thread, I have just returned from Molton's in Qormi, where I ordered my first two cans of paint.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts