SlotForum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys i'll be going into further details about upcoming projects i have etc in the near future but to get the ball rolling whats the best paint to paint the body work? i'm thinking enamel from a spray can as it's got the glossy look to it, also what do i do about the paint job it already has? does it have to be sanded down or can i just apply directly over it? The reason i ask is because i have a mini street car racing round my digital layout but its red and in real life my girlfriend drives a purple 1 so would really like to have a 'min' version of her street car on my track. Many thanks guys

·
Registered
239 Posts
On my last respray, i used p600 to sand down original paint job this will give a good key. allow to dry overnight, then give two light coats of plastic primer. allow to dry overnight. then give 2/3 coats of the colour of your choice,allow to dry overnight. then use p1200 wet and dry to flatten paint finish and remove shine, rinse in clean water and allow to dry overnight. apply 2/3 light coats of clear lacquer allow to dry for a couple of nights this will give you a spanking finsh. i use halfords plastic spray paint, this will not crack when the body shell flexes.

good luck

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
You could make life much easier than that with different techniques to remove paint, different paints and processes.

You'd be better off posting this in the scratchbuild forum as everyone paints their own stuff there. And do a searchword to pick up past posts around this. Also, read the 'dummies guide to airbrushing' at the start of this forum. There are dozens and dozens of posts on this sort of thing if you used the slotforum searchword facility.

Good luck and enjoy!

·
Rich Dumas
3,589 Posts
Most of the time I have started my projects with unpainted bodies, so stripping of paint was not an issue. In one case I started with a car that had tampo printing and I just shot that with two light coats of model spray primer. Since the printing did not show through I sprayed over the primer with regular model paint, automotive paint also works well. Model paint is not very durable and if you put decals on the car they are also easily damaged. It is best to coat everything with a durable finish, I use an automotive clear coat. The clear that I use can attack decals, so I protect those with a couple of coats of Future. Future is water based and if you brush it on inkjet printed decals they will smudge. For inkjet decals you can use an acrylic spray clear coat before you cut out the decals and put them on the car. You do have to be very careful what sort of paint you put on bare plastic. Paint made for model car bodies should not attack the plastic. Once you protect the body with a primer you can use many kinds of paint over that, but it is best to do some test sprays on something that is expendable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts