SlotForum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

when you have to do a two tone effect i.e. semi-black on a chrome plated bumper ( fendeer ) part, do you prep the surface of the still chromed area in any way ?
i.e. remove the chrome, sand it, prime it or whatever ?

Or do you simply just paint a couple of coats of enamel / acrylic straight on top ?

Cheers

BIG"S"

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Hi,

Took the liberty answering here becouse I've got some experience on enamels and acrylics.

Acrylic or enamel paint will not stick to chromed surface. You can paint on chrome, but paint can be quite easily be scraped off by fingernail. There isn't enough adhesion between chrome and paint.

For best results you should remove chrome first. This can be very difficult with small parts. Better option would be just sanding chrome surface slightly and painting on chrome and afterwards apply clear cote over painted bumper.

If you want to achieve best possible result you should use fine automotive colours and 2-component clear cote . . . but maybe this would be slightly over the top since we're only talking about slotcar painting

My answer was little late, maybe you have done your painting already? Please advice us how did it go.

Julius

1 - 2 of 2 Posts