SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Phil B.
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen - Please can you give me some advice on the best way to paint raised letters ( or badges etc) on body shells, what type of brush should I use, is there a preferred angle of paint brush to plastic?

Someone suggested I use the point of a cocktail stick but I can`t see how the paint will flow. If the paint runs from the letter to the body work are there any tips on removing excess paint easily?

This isn`t actually for a slot car - I`ve paid quite a lot of money for a 1/16 scale Bandai kit of the Pendle Princess showmans engine (I think from the early eighties) and I don`t want to c--k it up!

Any advice will be well received - thanks in advance.
Cheers - Phil B.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I use architect's pens like Rotel on my airbrush illustrations. You get them as thin as . 1mm. You can fill the reservoir with thinned down acrylic paint.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Hi Phil

One way to paint raised detail is to use a "dry brushing" technique. Dip a stiffish brush (Games Workshop sell these for modellers) into your paint, wipe it off onto a sheet of tissue and then brush onto a sheet of paper until no more paint seems to be coming off. Then brush onto the raised area of your model. There will be enough small specs of paint left on the brush to highlight the raised detail.

I'd suggest a practice run or two and, depending on the subject, you might want to mask the surrounding area of the model.

·
Alan Tadd
4,034 Posts
Seconded JP......Also works well on radiator grills where the backgounf colour is black and the grill silver.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi,
Instead of dipping a brush in the paint and then wiping the excess off on a tissue, I use the tissue itself. I fold the tissue down the middle to make a rectangle, then down the middle of the rectangle to make a square, then fold the diagonally opposite corners together to make a pointed triangle of tissue. I use the point of the folded tissue to pick up a small amount of paint, normally from underside of the paint pot lid (avoids drawing up too much paint). The paint is held by the tissue while the fine point can be used to dry brush small amounts of paint onto the raised detail, using this technique, there is insufficient capilary action or surface tension on the model detail to draw excess paint out of the tissue.

Good luck
Duane.

·
Phil B.
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all very much for that - I`ll try each method first on a body shell from the spares box before attacking the Engine.

All this expertise available at the click of a button - its great!!

Cheers - Phil

1 - 7 of 7 Posts