SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im just beginning to dip my toes into slotcar track design and scenery and Id appreciate some advice. Id like to give my scalextric track a bit more of a natural look and paint the track with a grey wash.
Providing I cleaned the track properly in advance, would my idea work??? Ive seen peeling can be an issue and I dont want the track to get slippery.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Greg Gaub
14,784 Posts
Yes, it works.

Clean the track with a solvent, even if it's just isopropyl alcohol, to make sure there are not greasy fingerprints on it. Then, use the absolute cheapest, most bottom shelf interior latex emulsion paint you can find. The cheaper, the better. Lean toward satin or matte. Sometimes you can score some cheap paint from the mistakes bin or shelf. As long as it's a passable shade of gray, you're good. Also look for greens and browns for painting landscape.

It doesn't take much paint, so usually a small pint/sample can is enough for a typical home slot car track.

Of course, mask the rails first. Using a roller makes it consistent, and gives a knap that can help with traction.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a heap mate! Thats a massive help. Just a couple more questions if youd be so kind.
Does the paint need to be thinned down to a wash?
Also, is the paint acrylic or oil based? Sorry. Thats probably a dumb question. Thanks again!

·
Greg Gaub
14,784 Posts
No need to thin it. The kind of paint I'm recommending is latex... not sure that's either acrylic or oil. Just cheap interior house paint from the hardware store... not an art store. ;-)

·
Registered
153 Posts
I spray painted all my Ninco with acrylic grey primer - actually a brand giving lighter shade than the usual dark grey. I much prefer it to black track. The only issue is that some pieces can warp a little bit.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
I have always used Wilko ‘Storm Cloud’ matt emulsion. It is easy to apply with a brush, cheap, very quick drying and it stays on. Also, if you ever did want to peel some away you can still do so with reasonable ease even though it will never come off under normal circumstances / when you are racing. I tried various shades of grey from match pots when I started, and I would take bits of track out and see how they looked (dry) compared with the road outside. The colour has proved perfect, and was a decision I have never regretted. I just vacuumed the track and quickly wiped it over with meths before painting. Use about three coats to get an even finish. If you accidentally get some on the rails just scrape it off with your thumbnail. Any oil you might get off the rails or car tyres or the painted surface just enhances the look, in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
I have always used Wilko 'Storm Cloud' matt emulsion. It is easy to apply with a brush, cheap, very quick drying and it stays on. Also, if you ever did want to peel some away you can still do so with reasonable ease even though it will never come off under normal circumstances / when you are racing. I tried various shades of grey from match pots when I started, and I would take bits of track out and see how they looked (dry) compared with the road outside. The colour has proved perfect, and was a decision I have never regretted. I just vacuumed the track and quickly wiped it over with meths before painting. Use about three coats to get an even finish. If you accidentally get some on the rails just scrape it off with your thumbnail. Any oil you might get off the rails or car tyres or the painted surface just enhances the look, in my opinion.
Keith do you have a link to your track or any images of the painted track please. I'm looking to paint my scalextric track and at wilko prices this could be the ideal solution.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
I'd go for the Matt Storm cloud.

I used an automotive spray rattle can plastic primer on my track. I masked up quickly over the rails and cut round with a blade between the rail and track. I only used one can. It's still work in progress.

attachicon.gif
DSC_0293.JPG
Frogeye, that looks great. I was thinking of using Plastikote multi-surface spray cans. I'm not overly fussed about cost as we're talking £15 cheap to about 2 to 3 times that expensive. As long as it stays on and has the effect of improving grip/car performance I'd be happy to spend the extra cash as it's not extortionate. After all, we could easily spend that amount in upgrades on a couple of cars so why not pay that little extra for a decent spray or paint that would (1) stay on the plastic track and (2) improve grip and performance for all cars.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I had one track where I painted it but to tell you the truth, whatever advantages that I got by having a track that was a more "realistic" color, I found the fact that now the joints at every section stood out more (compared to if the track was just left black) kind took away from the final look.

Scalextric Sport left stock except for the lane/border markings.

wwVSN8g.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
I may have found a winner! But Id like your opinions before I commit

Ive been experimenting today with different paints, brushes vs rollers, etc. for painting my track. I happened to have a tin of an oil based blackboard/chalkboard paint in the shed. Mixing that with a bit of oil based white to create a grey and then rolling it on has left a very grippy surface that was really easy to apply. Ive only painted one section of track, but so far so good.
Has anyone out there used blackboard paint before??? Thanks

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
I may have found a winner! But Id like your opinions before I commit
Ive been experimenting today with different paints, brushes vs rollers, etc. for painting my track. I happened to have a tin of an oil based blackboard/chalkboard paint in the shed. Mixing that with a bit of oil based white to create a grey and then rolling it on has left a very grippy surface that was really easy to apply. Ive only painted one section of track, but so far so good.
Has anyone out there used blackboard paint before??? Thanks
This sounds totally unnecessary. A friend of mine, also on this forum, is a lifelong slot racer and has never suggested there was insufficient grip as is. You will also need to mix the same amounts if you want to match on repainting any sections, and you may well wish to do so in time, due to oil accumulations on the track or whatever.

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
My current track is painted with a grey chalk paint ,works just fine , been on for 7 months and used daily .There's plenty of grip most days but one thing worth mentioning what ever surface you use grip will always vary depending on temperature ,tyre choice and if you use any grip enhancing fluids on your tyres . Over time my track has developed a racing line as rubber deposit has built up .From time to time it may be necessary to clean this off and let the deposit build up again. Its normal practice in club racing to clean the track surface at intervals when racing on a smooth painted surface .

·
Registered
135 Posts
The Storm Cloud is this one. NB fill any joints with plaster, then paint over, not caulk, because the latter can expand.
Thanks for the tip Slotterkeith

Been to Wilko and got our Storm Cloud !

Attachments

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
I had two greys in the garage so took two long straight sections and used plastikote primer spray on them. The lighter grey is a definite no no as it's just way too light. I'm really liking the charcoal grey though. It's gone on well and looks really good imo. I'm polishing up the rails and using sugar soap to degrease the plastic as I post this so hoping to get a fair amount done over the weekend.

What do you guys think?

20210215_221025.jpg
20210215_225831.jpg
20210215_225840.jpg
20210215_225917.jpg

Attachments

1 - 20 of 58 Posts