SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
ParrotGod
8,226 Posts
I like the dark shade better but I would use the lighter one for the pitlane.

Do you use something else to remove any residue of sugar soap from the track?

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
I like the dark shade better but I would use the lighter one for the pitlane.
Do you use something else to remove any residue of sugar soap from the track?
With the sugar soap I just spray some onto a cloth and wipe the track. I use another dry cloth to wipe it dry and I left the track pieces (I got half of the track rails cleaned and polished and the plastic degreased last night.

Using the light grey for the pits is a great idea. I did actually contemplate this. I see that Steve1964 did this on his Hurstland track to great effect. I've got some aramco stickers to lay over the border too to separate the dark grey from the light of the pit area and some detailing strips. Green Textile Rectangle Font Grass

Attachments

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
I've seen a member on a Facebook group use this textured paint. He never mentioned if the grip improved or not. We get rustlers here in the UK too.i think Plastikote and Rustoleum are very similar products.

Colour looks great mate. Has it improved the overall grip of your cars and have you noticed if its had any detrimental effect on your cars tyres.

·
Greg Gaub
14,978 Posts
I used a rattle can product called Rustoleum (here in the USA) - Aged Iron is the color. It's a Textured paint and provides excellent grip, and looks exactly like normal road surface.
It's worth noting for readers checking this thread for help on painting Scalextric track that you are showing Carrera track. This matters because it's a different kind of plastic, and some things that work well on one will not work as well on the other. Generally, rattle-can anything doesn't bond well to Scalextric track or borders, at least not without some kind of other product in between to do the actual bonding. Besides, rattle cans are way messier than rolling on some wall paint. :)

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Good point Mr F. I hadn't paid any attention to this fact and just presumed that all plastic track would react the same when painted (by it by brush or by spray can). Thanks for pointing this out.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Yeah, I forgot people might not know that's Carrera track. The Rustoleum Textured product line is made for outdoor use mainly, items like outdoor metal furniture, stone, masonry, wood, etc. I can't imagine it not bonding to any kind of plastic track, but I only have Carrera. YMMV

The grip has been amazing, and much better than the stock track. I've tested Silicone, Urethane and Regular Rubber tires on several of my cars, over the course of a year - and have decided to switch all my cars to Regular Rubber. NSR Supergrips, Ultragrips, BRM 22 Shore, Slot.it and Scaleauto soft rubber all perform well.

EDIT: I also forgot to point out that some of the track pieces in the finished layout above have been painted in 2008. Still have grip!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Have been experimenting with the Wilko paint recommended by Slotterkeith over the weekend. I just tried it on a few old straights to get a sense of how fast/easy it was to put on.

Ive concluded that masking is best, which concurs with the general feedback on any threads Ive read in SlotForum. I picked up a cutting in brush to see if that made painting free hand a bit easier. It did, but its hard to avoid getting bits of paint on the rails.

So its scotch blue tape.

This is the test straights just after a third coat. I prepped by whipping with a disposable degreaser wipe and drying off with some kitchen towel.

So far so good

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
It may be just me, but I'd rather the complete randomness of a rattle can rather than the straight marks from a paintbrush.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Im going to do the track with a roller. That wasnt an option if I had decided to paint without masking.

Thanks for the tips.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts