SlotForum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
I did notice the marks here too. I dont have any so I assume the brush used here. That probably accounts for the need for the tape as well. I believe I posted details of the brush I used.
The track pieces were still wet when I took that pic. When they dried the brush marks werent visible

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
The track pieces were still wet when I took that pic. When they dried the brush marks werent visible
Great! Much better to do the painting slowly. Scraping a few bits of paint off the rails with your thumbnail is much quicker than masking.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well, got the first section of our circuit painted and relaid. I also painted and set the track kerbs but these arent glued in yet.

I used the Wilko grey recommended by Slotterkeith. It didnt take much paint abd I think I could have got away with sample pots. At £12 for 2.5 litres theres plenty to complete the rest avd have enough for repairs for about 45 years!

The next section will be easier and faster now that I have the hang of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
when painting any plastic track top tip use some of the 3m plastic primer it will stick to plastics and stop any chance of peeling

Dave

·
Greg Gaub
14,986 Posts
Well, got the first section of our circuit painted and relaid. I also painted and set the track kerbs but these arent glued in yet.
That looks fantastic. Completely changes the look of the layout, eh? From "slot car track" to "scale model racing track" in one simple step. :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks,

Im really pleased with how it has come out. We have just used it for the first time and the grip is definitely better as well.

I used brushes in the to paint the track as I let it too late to pick up the foam
Roller from the shops. The brush strokes disappeared and it looks really smooth.

Here is another pic looking down the long downhill.

And another showing whats left to be done (just 2/3 of the circuit!)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
I used the Wilko grey recommended by Slotterkeith. It didnt take much paint abd I think I could have got away with sample pots. At £12 for 2.5 litres theres plenty to complete the rest avd have enough for repairs for about 45 years!
The next section will be easier and faster now that I have the hang of it.
This is great. I like the mountain type terrain and especially the grass colouration and effect which is exactly what I have in mind. I have just ordered my own grasses and applicator and will be very happy if I can achieve something like this! The borders are neat as well. Ive also gone for a white road edge line. I am using 3mm pinstriping tape laid outside of the track. It will be OK but horribly fiddly to put down directly on the land because each bit has to be sanded flat as I progress. - oops sorry for going off topic.

·
Prof I T
11,162 Posts
Wait till its had some use and it rubbers in, grip will get better still and the realalism takes another leap :thumb:

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Managed to finish painting all my track today and the pit section. It's taken longer than I anticipated because of priming it all with plastikote but as others have mentioned, brush marks have all disappeared. I'll get the rest of the track put back together and give it a test run. Really hope the grip has improved.

Building Field house Urban design Metropolitan area City
Automotive tire Font Gas Bumper Grille
Automotive tire Light Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design

Attachments

·
ParrotGod
8,236 Posts
Well done! It looks really nice.

·
Registered
135 Posts
This is great. I like the mountain type terrain and especially the grass colouration and effect which is exactly what I have in mind. I have just ordered my own grasses and applicator and will be very happy if I can achieve something like this! The borders are neat as well. Ive also gone for a white road edge line. I am using 3mm pinstriping tape laid outside of the track. It will be OK but horribly fiddly to put down directly on the land because each bit has to be sanded flat as I progress. - oops sorry for going off topic.
Thanks

Good luck with your static grass. It really is very easy to put down. I think I mentioned earlier that i buy my grass and applicator from war world scenics. I really like their concept of base followed by layering. I used 2mm Spring grass as the base as its a nice vibrant green and then a mix of dead, scorched and muddy grass in 4-6mm as the layers. You dont need much of the layers as that is applied in patches which is where you get the variation in colour and textures. I only applied one top layer but you can do as many layers as you want depending on the finished effect you are looking for.

I was unsure about how to do the track edge.in the end I used pvc angle trim. The corners are 10mm angle from Screwfix (£1.99 for 2m). I made up a little mitre box and used a model saw to make cuts every 10mm on one surface. This created a kerbing effect and allowed the trim to bend more easily. The straight sections are 5mm angle trim. Both were painted with primer and red/white from a spray can. There was a bit of work involved but it worked out quite inexpensive it in the end.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Managed to finish painting all my track today and the pit section. It's taken longer than I anticipated because of priming it all with plastikote but as others have mentioned, brush marks have all disappeared. I'll get the rest of the track put back together and give it a test run. Really hope the grip has improved.

20210227_002035.jpg
20210227_002058.jpg
20210227_002110.jpg
Looking really good there Orcslayer!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Got around to giving the relaid painted section a workout today. Theres already rubber building on the painted track. Grip is much improved.

·
Banned
1,694 Posts
Track looking great, can you post pics of the primer and paint that you used as well as the type of brush (some of my larger brushes shed and that's annoying....).

I may well do this at some point to my track and will definitely be stealing the pit lane armco ticker demarcation! IN fact I have a pic of Steve's somewhere for reference!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Track looking great, can you post pics of the primer and paint that you used as well as the type of brush (some of my larger brushes shed and that's annoying....).

I may well do this at some point to my track and will definitely be stealing the pit lane armco ticker demarcation! IN fact I have a pic of Steve's somewhere for reference!

Thanks!
I used Plastikote primer spray and then finished it off with homebase charcoal matt for walls and ceilings but any interior emulsion colour of your choice will work.
Tin Beverage can Liquid Aluminum can Tin can

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
I started to repaint the old section of the circuit. This time out I painted in place without using masking tape, following Slotterkeiths technique:

Clean with degreasing wipes
Wipe dry
Apply Wilko emulsion directly with the Works brushes
Wipe of excess from rails
Burnish rails with broken wooden coffee stirrer

The Works brushes are great value, are good brushes and perfect for this task.

I now have two coats down in the time it would have taken me just to mask the rails. So, faster and easier than first section but end result looking just as good.

Attachments

41 - 58 of 58 Posts