SlotForum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever painted their scalextric sport track? I have spray painted an extra piece I had to test and it seems ok. It only flakes off when it get really scratched, so I'm thinking it will be fine to drive on. I'm building a mountain scene and I think it would look a little better if the black track was white. Any feedback would be great.

·
Registered
253 Posts
While I have never done it, my thought would be to ensure the track is very clean of all oils and dust, and use a paint like Krylon Fusion which is intended for plastics. Good luck with it.

Sandy

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi,

I just painted my SSD track and it looks quite good. I just cleaned the track dry with a cloth, then masked the rails. With an xacto-knife you can easily cut along the small gap between the plastic and the metal rails. Lane-changers are a bit tricky though. Then I primed the tracks with a "super-haftgrund", I don´t knwo the name for it in Amerika, but I guess it´s the kind of stuff people refer to as "sticks on everything"
. The can says something about resin-components as integridients.

After letting it dry for about 24 hours (that´s what the printing on the can advices), I put on a second coat of a finishing-colour of the same company in the same colour. When it dries, it has satin-finish. The stuff has alkyd-resin in it. Heavy scratching will tear it off, I doubt, that heavy driving is able to rip off the colour.

I used a roll to put the colour on, a brush would make it to uneven, I guess.

The colour is called silver-grey, the RAL-no. is 7001.

Cheers

Markus

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
i have painted scaley sport track using a spray plastic primer and finished off with household emulsion.

Normal racing action has not damaged it, as others have said just make sure the surfaces are free from oil and dust, and accurate masking save's a lot of time.

·
Ian
99 Posts
Are you Crazy painting Sport track

Actually No!

I always paint my tracks, tried a few different paints etc. But I'm liking the stone effect spray paints.

Take a look through any of my track builds to see different paints used.

Oh and yes that is Sport Track just well hidden

·
Registered
120 Posts
Bleep: On your track build you wrote; "The brand name of the paint escapes me". Any chance you can remember it now?

Cheers M.

·
Ian
99 Posts
Matt,
Not too sure "plastikote" possibly but its available at Wilkinsons , B&Q, and the Range and you must have one of them near you even down in deepest Dorset

Special note:
it's "bleep" only very rarely does it ever get to "Bleep"

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Just painted mine, about four or five months ago.

Clean track with Prepsol (or similar)
Prime with Dulux Onestep 3 in 1 (Oil based)
Colour with Dulux Designer suede - 2 coats (acrylic)
'Clear' coat with Dulux Bright Base (acrylic) - This is not a true clear coat, but using that paint base without it's usual tinting additions, it's mostly clear. Best of all it's a flat finish.

The one layer of oil based paint in the mix, according to a paint expert friend of mine, locks the matrix together.

Really happy with the way it's worked. And enjoying the experience of learning to drive the track all over again.

Embs

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I've successfully painted Sport track, borders and kerbs with Halfords Plastic Bumper Paint. It only comes in 3 colours, though - black, dark grey and light grey. If you wanted to do something different, you could probably use the light grey as an undercoat and spray any car paint over the top.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I used a polyurethane resin in light gray on my ninco. mainly to fill the dimples for a nice smooth surface. apllied with a roller and all cleaning[acetone] taping rails steps taken. on my mdf track[designing] i.m going to use a 2 part epoxy paint, which should outlast the track. or they do an acryllic silk matt thats taken all the abuse possible on the grandsons track. john

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
QUOTE (stoner @ 13 Aug 2012, 09:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>to fill the dimples for a nice smooth surface.
I want to do this with my SCX track. Any specific recommendations for paint? Manufacturers? Trade names? I don't mind if the paint isn't black, I'm open minded on colours as it's a rally track.

TIA

·
Registered
49 Posts
Greetings All...

I used Ralph Lauren "River Rock" house paint. It is textured with a sand-like filler (if I did it again I'd choose the next smaller texture). I cleaned the track with a cotton rag & denatured achohol a couple of times before I painted - I did not use a primer. The rails & slot were taped over & I used a roller to paint with. It's been several (4+) years & I'm still very happy with the surface and the duability.

Bill Winski

·
Registered
120 Posts
I used Acrylic Mat Grey Primer for a concrete look in a farm yeard area... Also a good idea to remember any road or track is never one colour... A race track will have alot of tyre marks and a Road surface will have all manner of colours on it.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Hi,

Don't know about sport track but I have painted my Artin track with is hard smooth plastic.

To clean the track I used the heavy duty hand wipe cloths that remove everything from you hands - grease, oil, paint. A lot of the track was new and some secondhand but the cloth were black at the end, at lease the track dried quickly.

Most of the track was paint using enulsion sample paint, were possible I went for kitchen and bathroom emulsion, if they had the colour I wanted, as this is suposablly more hardwaring. This has the been over sprayed with Textured and stone textured (Plastikote) paint I do have one small area the is just emulsion.

The think to be carefull with is the masking tape. Most of the standard masking tape is designed to be removed in less than 24 hours. The longer it's left the harder I is to remove. You can get 48 and 72 hour masking tape. I used 10mm Tamyia modlers masking tape for the rails and at the edge of the track as this is very flexible and follows the curves with ease, but it is expense compaired to normal masking tape. Than I fixed the paper used for the big areas to this with normal masking tape.

As to paint life I can't realy coment yet as I've only just finished the track.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts