Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well guys, after having painting all my 72 pieces of track. I now have to get rid of them all...down the trash, i guess. I really thought i had covered it all, by cleaning the track first before painting and also by adding a thin layer of paint. I was wrong, now the paint falls off. And i am almost about to...cry. Way to much work and money down the drain. Now i have to buy new pieces...i have done some stupid things in my life..but this surely tops it all.well, i will never, ever paint my track again.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi there
Yes nightglider1, the paint don´t stick to the track, and i really dont know why. I mean...i cleand it and then I added a thin layer of the primer, i only used primer cause i did not want to get to much paint on the track. And now the paint just "falls" of like "flakes". And it feels just hopeless, this is "killing" me. I have also tryed to get the paint off completely but I have not ben succesfull. Any ideas?

·
Alan Tadd
4,029 Posts
Larsson

Why do you have to throw the track away, is it distorted or damaged in some way?.

Can't you clean off the old paint with thinners or something similar and then repaint?.

This article from theSlot Forum archives may help :-

Track Painting

Don't give up, in the end you will get there.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello BEEJAY7

The track is not distorted or damage in anyway, I have tryed to get the old paint off but that is a huge work, really huge. But you are right, i can not throw the track away. Need to figure something out. Thank you helping me out as well as for the support.

Regards

Eric

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hmmm...that's strange. As I'm sure you know, the primer helps the paint stick to the track. I'd have expected paint to come off if the track weren't primed, but I'm sort of at a loss here...

Hope things wind up working out for you.

-- Pete

·
Registered
386 Posts
Is the paint coming off when you are driving on the track or does it come off while handling it? What type of paint did you use on it?

I only used a grey latex primer on mine and the cars never cause the paint to come off. It will scrape off though if I scrape something across it but that only when I am working on my scenery or something.

·
Registered
61 Posts
to get the paint off, try a non caustic oven cleaner, I use it to get paint of old cars.
PS, don't ever be to disheartened to much by mistakes, we all do'em, and it just makes you a better slotter in the long run, cheers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I recently had to remove the old paint from seventy two pieces of 24X15 inch greenhouse glass. The paint was years old, and was as hard as concrete.
I tried all the general methods, which were all very messy, so I tried warm water, and after a ten minute soak, it almost fell off.
It might work with your track. Just get the water hot enough... but not too hot that it will distort the track, then give a quick scrub with a ScotchBrite, or pan scrub.

HTH

Bill.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ListerStorm - the paint comes off when i am handling it, putting the pieces together
And the paint also commes off if the track pieces gets slightly bended.

I used a gray primer paint aswell, maybe the quality on my paint was bad

Monarco and NZSlotty- thank you for youre tips and idea´s too. I will try it on some track.

·
Registered
876 Posts
If the paint is coming off that easily (including the primer?) then do try giving it a nice warm bath...both Latex and acrylic based paints will peel right off after a bit of soaking.

I originally painted my Classic track using craft type paint - water-based acrylic - worked well, except it did have a tendency to scratch off - did the "soak job" on it and then spray primed the track with flat white and then applied the acrylic paint over it - works very well now - did it on my Carrera track with the same good results too. A helpful hint, if you're not doing it already, paint the track in sections of 4 or 5 pieces at a time...goes a lot faster.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Da Vols - thank you for that tip, it´s really great that so many have come to my aid here. And i want you lads to know that i appriciate it very much.

Eric

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Da-Vols - I have now tryed to clean my track by using youre tip, and it worked just great. I was able to get all the paint off. Thank you once more for helping me out.

regards

Eric

·
Slot City
331 Posts
This might be obvious but, if you decide to try painting it again it will probably be worth just doing a few sections and then giving it a week or so to see how well it works.

Obvious I know but I thought it worth saying.

Jon,
Slot City.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Slotcity - well it´s the obvious things one do tend to forget..so your advice was most wellcome. If i am going to paint my track again i will surely do just a few sections as you suggested. Thank you for youre help.

Best regards

Eric

1 - 15 of 15 Posts