SlotForum banner

Painting Track

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  robert1703 
#1 ·
I race a lot of rallies on non permanent tracks. For this I use a combination of Ninco, Ninco raid and Polistil trackpieces. I want to create gravel rallies, but I find the Ninco raid pieces to bumpy and noisy for some of my rally cars. As I race inside the house gravel/dirt created with flower or cocoa are no option. So I want to paint some of my trackpieces.

What are your experiences? I want to keep the low grip level of the Polisitil track and decrease the level of grip in the Ninco track. What do you guys advice, is acrylic (latex) wall paint an option? For me the effect on the grip is more important than the visual aspects.

#2 ·
hi
i have just painted a number of scalextric digital sections wich i am using in a routed mdf track.

Before i applied any paint to the plastic i first made sure that the surfaces were free from grime and muck and then masked the rails before spraying the plastic track with a etching primer to ensure the emulsion sticks well.

I have read of various types of paint being used but what each type does for grip i can not say.
I have opted for a grey matt emulsion and if this does not offer the required grip then i had planned to try it with some sharp sand added to the paint,this would give a sandtex effects.

As you are not after loads of grip perhaps a vinyl silk may be better.?? But this is only a guess as i have not tried it myself.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
As Jexy said, my experience is no reduction of grip by painting the track. I never really did experiments with several types of paint,
so maybe there is a paint that does the job.

The problem with Ninco track is twosome: 1) The rails are a bit lifted so the magnet pull from the motors becomes important; 2) The texture of the track. I can think of a way to deal with these two issues but not clear if it is practical for non permanent tracks. Apply some material to the track, for example joint compound, to smooth the track and at the same time is potentially lifting the car away from the rails. The main objective is to smooth the track. Then paint the track.

As a bonus: getting familiar with joint compound in this hobby is essential for scenery purposes.

Another way, is to just let the track get dirty. You can accelerate this process in several obvious ways.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
After you paint with a high film build Acrylic Latex (and well cured) try a small amount of Armor All - as used on dash boards etc. Probably wont keep the cars on the track

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.